Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Exhaust Brake - brake lights

I have a manual transmission so it was easy to get the Jacobs Exhaust break installed on RED (Tow Vehicle).
I use it heavily even when not towing. I have had a couple "almost" tailenders because the one behind me was not paying "close" attention. Yes, there WAS no indication I was drastically (compared to just releasing the throttle) slowing down. That has been corrected.
I purchased the Fire and Ice 60" LED Light Bar and installed it on RED, under the tailgate but above the bumper. I modified the wiring a little. The "running lights" on the bar is wired to the exhaust break solenoid instead of the parking lights. When the exhaust break switches on or off the lights do the same. The turn, brake and backup lights are wired normal.
I intend on running control wires to the back of MONTY and installing a "LED Light Bar" back there too wired the same way. The only down side is the base of the LED bar is black.
I do not like the black on the fiberglass under the license plate but do not know how else to do it.
Cheers,
EDIT: I found the brake lights are back feeding the exhaust brake solinoid so I will have to install a DIODE near the solinoid to prevent the brake lights from keeping the exhaust brake powered when it should be off.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

I never did - but was planning on putting a piece of angle across the bottom between the frame on the back and mount one there. I changed my mind after I started looking because the frame is so far back under the rear cap, and a 60" bar just looked too short across the back of an 8-1/2' width.

I might finish someday.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good job, John. I've had that same sensation when towing downhill using both the exhaust brake and tow/haul and seeing the surprised reactions of drivers behind me belatedly figuring out I'm rapidly slowing. I've been known to tap the brake pedal just to get their attention. I like your idea.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Maybe, instead of wiring the eexhaust brake solenoid to an external light, you could wire it to the brake light circuit, via a diode, as you said? Then the brake lights would illuminate either way?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I thought of that but the turn signal would not flash if the exhaust brake was on at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion.

on edit -
  • I like the light bar because it also give me backup lights but the MH and trailer kit for adapting lights would also work.

Again my problem is when the break lights are on and the turn signal is trying to flash it will not work with just a diode. I need the sensor/switching kit that Wayne mentioned next.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
Many of the MH's pulling a TOAD have to have a light kit installed, as I did on my TOAD. There are two methods of hooking up the lights. One is to use a diode, and the other is to drill another hole in the tail light housing and install another light assembly. A search on towing brakes for MH's may get you some information and diagrams.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote