Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Daggone Rain Prevented my storm door mod!

Trying to get everything wrapped up on the mod list and am down to a few items. Still waiting for vertical door struts for the bedroom over bed cabinets. They are supposed to be here tomorrow, so Friday will be the installation day. Taking Friday off to get all of the list completed. One of the cheap mods that I have done on the previous rigs is using clear vinyl on the screen doors to fashion it into a storm door. Others have used plexiglass, etc., but I really like the appearance of the vinyl on the door. The installation requires removing the doors so they can be laid flat, then removing the screen splines to allow for the vinyl to be overlaid and stretched over the screen and then the splines are reinserted and the vinyl is trimmed outside of the splines. The total cost for this modification for both doors is less than $5. Got the vinyl at Wal-Mart (in the craft/fabric department) and unfortunately the rain prevented me from doing the install. Guess it will have to wait until we get to SC this weekend. I do have a couple of pics that shows the end result on our first Montana that are attached at the end of this post. I have posted this mod a couple times in the past. DW does not like keeping any of the outer doors shut, so this is my solution to keep heat and air-conditioning functioning with the main doors open.

View from outside of 3400RL:

And from the inside looking out:

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nice sig pictures.... it would be cool to see you paint the TV the same as the Monty. Gonna have to get a new doggy picture in the rig too.

Clever idea on the plastic over the screen doors. I like to keep the solid door open, too, but my wife thinks 75 degrees is too cold, especially if any wind is kicking up so it's rare I'm able to keep the main door open. Something to look into especially since it does not add a lot of weight to an otherwise very light screen door. I've seen plexiglass add ons and they seem too heavy. Fortunately I do have some experience with splining and this shouldn't be beyond my limited skillset.

Couldn't you draw out the awning to protect the interior from the rain while you work. I see in your prior rig the door was too close to the awning edge and could be problematic, but the new rig's door looks like it's in more and under the awning. Silly me, you are in West Virginia so when it rains you probably have to worry about windy and cold too, huh?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
"DW does not like keeping any of the outer doors shut, so this is my solution to keep heat and air-conditioning functioning with the main doors open." ... out here in the "Wild Wild West" in mid summer there's usually just way too much rowdyness from the ole neighbors watching their outside TV's or whoopin and hollerin ... We need that bit of noise insulation the entry door provides. Besides ... you never know when Bigfoot will be putting an eye on you right thru your entry door. Aside from my antics ... Mod on Bingo ... looks good.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Looking good, as Dieselguy says, it's different out west. We went with plexiglass because we could get a dark tint for all of the reasons mentioned above.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A couple of years ago Wal-Mart had a roll of tinted vinyl, kind of a smoke color. I have not seen it at any Wal-Mart since, but would prefer it. If I ever see it again anywhere, it is easy to change the vinyl.
Bingo
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Nice mod. We use Lexan Polycarbonate Sheet 1/8 inch thick installed in the grooves on the interior top and bottom of the screen door. The 1/8 inch allows for flex so it can be removed for cleaning. It effectively makes the screen door a Storm Door. Had it professionally cut and installed at a cost as I remember of $97. Then later found white two wire telephone extension cord as the right size spline for tightening up the Lexan (snugged it up and stopped any rattles) and now the door is much more solid and the daylight can come right on in wheather its hot or cold outside. We got the idea from NCFishers and Hook while attending the Mid-Atlantic Rally.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
One interesting thing that I noticed on our new rig was the same on the 3400. The area beside the small sliding door in the middle is screened. On the 3750, this was a solid area (some kind of clear plexiglass and not screen). Curious as to whether you have this little screen area and if it was covered with Lexan also or if your model has the small screen area. Why they do some things puzzles me!
Bingo
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
About 8 years ago we took our screen door to a TAP Plastics location and they measured the three screen areas and cut tinted plexiglass for them.

They are held in place by “flippers” so we can remove the plexiglass when we want air or quickly install them to keep the heat in/elements out. When not on the door, the plexiglass is kept under the couch.

Our slider is clear and we bought it from Camping World.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I use the plexiglass in the screen but after putting it in the track I use the screen spline to help it from rattling all the time. Works well also.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Our slider area is clear Plexiglass(maybe Lexan) at 1/8 inch thick with the little up/down knob door opener so no reason for the slider to be moved when entering or leaving.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote