Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
I just had an interesting situation this week. I set my PSI at 110 cold (not sure what cold is except not been on the road today). When I left home a few days before, three tires were at 110 and one was at 105 (unknown reason and didn't correct it as I was already on the road). I was running up the California valley where the temps were above 100 all day. Where I started that day (temp at about 95 when I started) the three were 115 and of course the other was 110. The temps ran about 128 all day on the three until we hit Redding (temp that day was 112) the tires went over 131 setting the alarms off. Boy does that wake you up! We had the alarms set at the recommended 20% over the cold pressure (132). We pulled off to check the tires for issues. None. I let a little air out to settle the alarms and proceeded home which was about an hour away.

So I guess the question is what is cold temp? At my home when we generally leave the ambient temp runs less than 70. Down in central Cal that day it was 95 and made a huge difference in the starting temp and pressure of the tires.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #22
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Thanks, AZ. I’ve re-initialized all 4 sensors, and will test it out when I head home Tuesday. I’ll keep that number handy, just in case.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast Rusty View Post
I just had an interesting situation this week. I set my PSI at 110 cold (not sure what cold is except not been on the road today). When I left home a few days before, three tires were at 110 and one was at 105 (unknown reason and didn't correct it as I was already on the road). I was running up the California valley where the temps were above 100 all day. Where I started that day (temp at about 95 when I started) the three were 115 and of course the other was 110. The temps ran about 128 all day on the three until we hit Redding (temp that day was 112) the tires went over 131 setting the alarms off. Boy does that wake you up! We had the alarms set at the recommended 20% over the cold pressure (132). We pulled off to check the tires for issues. None. I let a little air out to settle the alarms and proceeded home which was about an hour away.

So I guess the question is what is cold temp? At my home when we generally leave the ambient temp runs less than 70. Down in central Cal that day it was 95 and made a huge difference in the starting temp and pressure of the tires.
I would run your high pressure alarm up another 15-20 PSI. I had my rig out early this week with temps over over 120. Tire temps went to 130-135 and pressure about the same.

I have always used 60 deg as a cold temp but do not believe there is a standard. I guess my thought comes from my flying days where the standard aviation day is 59 deg.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #24
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
starting tire pressure?

Am I wrong, or is the cold psi max on these E rated tires 95lbs? why are you all using over a 100 psi to start? Are we talking about the F rated tires on Montana's instead?
Snoopy
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I bought a digital tire tread depth gauge and it is supposed to be here today. I always run about 107 in my GY G614's, and recently saw in an RV Repair video that having your tires at the 110 psi for max load is not correct, unless you are at max load. I have never been near max load as we do not carry any fluids with us. All get dumped before we move on to next CG. The article said you need to check your tire tread depths and see if they are wearing evenly, then go up or down accordingly, but said you probably should start at 105 psi and go from there. As far as the TST goes, I have it set at 90 psi for low alarm, and 135 for high alarm, and 158 for max temp. I too have one sensor that is giving me fits, so I took it off, and noticed corrosion, so I carefully scraped all the corrosion off, and put a new o-ring and battery in it, and it seems a lot better now.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Am I wrong, or is the cold psi max on these E rated tires 95lbs? why are you all using over a 100 psi to start? Are we talking about the F rated tires on Montana's instead?
Snoopy
Most of us have G rated tires with 110 max PSI.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #27
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Just to clarify, it is not 110 max psi, it is 110 psi at max load. That's why it is important to check your tire tread depth and adjust for your situation. I use 60 degrees outside temp as my baseline to put my tires at 107 psi with no direct sun on any of the tires. If it is only 35 degrees out, the pressure will read about 98-100 . If it is 85 degrees out they will read higher. So pick your own baseline. Altitude also affects the psi.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have our TST monitor located so that the antenna is above the dashboard and visable out the windshield. I can not remember ever dropping a signal.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #29
Scid

M.O.C. #14192
I have the TST and found the repeater to be a really good device. Not more dropped sensors. Tire temps run 10-20 degrees warmer than air temps. Pressures, I called GY (G614's) and found they recommend less than max because we are hauling less than max. I run 90 psi and base it on an Escapee Club weigh in I did so each tire on the truck and camper are listed. I run sensors on all 6 truck tires and the 4 on the camper. TST has worked great for us.
Scid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
sdetweil
Established Member

M.O.C. #13656
The TST problem is known I just talked to them about it. The sensors are on the same frequency as 2ghz wifi. The problem occurs when the monitor polls the sensor, but a wifi device sends at the same time, damaging the sensor data.

The monitor gets confused and cannot recover. So u have to power off/on to restart it.

They said a repeater which cleans up the data will help prevent the problem.

I have lost signal from 9 of 10 sensors on this trip so far. I don't have a repeater, and never experienced this problem before this trip.
sdetweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #31
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I have the TST 507 system with the flow thru sensors (5 years old). I have a total of 12 sensors between my Dually and camper. I was told by TST to set the low press alarm to 10% below my normal cold tire pressure and 20% above for the high press but in hot states like Fl and AZ use 25% for your high press alarm.
I have a tire pressure gauge calibration station. I test my tire pressure gauges and know the tolerances, if any, of my tire gauges. I know my tire pressures are right on the money when I service them. But what I have come to find out is that my sensors are reading any where from 2 to 5 PSI low depending on which sensor it is.
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tredit tire at their talk at the fall rally tells us that the PSI should be set at the psi on the tire with the heaviest load .When the RV is weighed the rally they weigh each wheel individually .They also say that running at the rated max tire psi will not hurt anything.

We have our TST set at the default setting .We have been all over the country in very high temps and have not had a issue. yes DmaxDually we note the same difference in readings on the monitor and have since day one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:49 AM   #33
Maverick
Established Member

M.O.C. #10733
TST Tire Pressure Settings

This is a spreadsheet of the settings I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TST Tire Pressure Settings.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2036  
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #34
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Good chart Maverick, except if you are ever taking off from an RV park in the mountains, and it is 30-45 degrees outside, your TST alarm will go off with a setting of 99 psi for the mean psi of 110. I put mine down to 90 psi just for that reason, since we live at 7,000 feet. The psi comes up real soon after driving for 15 minutes, and if you go lower in elevation and the temps come up. Remember the TST alarms if it detects a leak in progress, so 90 is not too low of pressure as long as you don't run with it at that psi for an extended time.
vipermanden is offline   Reply With Quote