Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Water Heater Question?

I have the Monty all winterized, the bypass is on to the hot water tank and I am ready for some late fall camping. I wanted to kill power to the water heater because it is empty so I looked at the breaker panel and shut the one off labeled for the water heater. But when I checked the switch for the water heater tank on the wall, the light still came on. Is the tank power off but the switch still remains powered?

What do you think?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
you have a switch on the hot water heater itself for 110 if you look at it and its in the on position heater is still on not good when tank is empty your panel light should go out if your not heating with gas thats what the panel light indicates
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The panel light works off 12 volts so it should not be on when your heater is drained.
Open the outside panel were you pulled the anode rod. On the left side you should find a black rocker switch. When the switch is in the off position you should be able to slide a small cotter pin in a hole on the side of the switch. This is a saftey device to ensure the switch is not turned on when winterized and drained.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
Cheers
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

I think what you are saying is the inside panel switch still lights up when you turn it on! This is normal, as the inside switch turns on the 12V electric igniter for the LP gas. If you're saying the light is staying on even with the switch off, then something is wrong.

Once you pull the anode rod and drain the tank, you need to make sure the inside 12V gas igniter switch is OFF or you will damage the iginiter trying to light the gas without an LP supply. Also make sure the 110V switch outside on the tank is off, or if you temporarily connect 110V you will burn out the heater inside the tank with no water. You probably already know this.

Enjoy your fall camping!! This weekend is the third time we have re-winterized ours! It's just too easy with the tank bypass and antifreeze pump system. Never had that before on my previous RV's.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I could be wrong but here's my take on this.

The breaker is for the 110v electric heater element.

The inside switch is for the propane ignitor, which is 12v.

So, that breaker would not shut off the propane ignitor nor the 12v to the wh control board. For that you'd have to find the right 12v fuse on the fuse panel, right? Or disconnect the battery.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
Do NOT trust the label on the btraker panel. The breaker labeled Water Heater was connected to a lighting circuit and the water heater was connected to a lighting circuit. Use the switch in the water heater to turn off the 110 volt element. The lighted switch controls the gas operation of the water heater.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
The 110 power to the water heater can be off and the Propane power will still work to the water heater. I have not tried to deactivate the inside Switch (Propane switch). If you are camping with propane bottle on, and someone accidently pushes the Propane switch to the water heater, well.....I hope you have water in the water heater tank.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote