Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rear-view/Backup Camera Dealer Installation

Got the rig back today and took the truck to the dealers to allow them to finish the camera installation in the truck. As mentioned before in another thread we opted to go with a hard-wired Voyager color system with a single camera and a truck bed mounted connect disconnect system. The dealer did the installation and I am very pleased with the results. First, here are a couple of pictures of the camera itself above the rear window. Notice the cable to the right of the camera. It runs across the rear cap and down the side hidden from view and then travels to the front of the rig beneath the underbelly:

A closer view:

The heavy duty quick connect is in the bed of the truck as shown:

A closer view:

And a closer view with the cable connected:

The cable attaches to the rig via another quick-connect mounted on the pin box:

A closer view:

And a view with the cable attached:

Finally the cable then runs into the cab of the truck, and is then hidden up the side of the window, across the top of the cab and the cable comes out by the rear-view mirror. At present, I am using a suction-cup mount, since I really did not want a permanent mount for security reasons. Here is what the 5.4" color monitor looks like:

And a closer view:

The picture quality is excellent, but it will take a while to get used to the view at the camera magnification. Trailing vehicles appear very small until they are directly behind the rig. Another feature is that the monitor and camera is equipped with a microphone so that if we elect too, we can listen to the people behind us honking their horns at us to get outta the way. The system we chose does have the capability to add one other camera.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
It would be nice if the design wizards would come up with a way to have the Montana mounted camera display on the in-dash screen in the truck, when connected to the truck. No cheap shot here, just a thought.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Very nice install, but what really caught my eye was how dirty that truck bed is. Ha Ha
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Especially when considering that I also have a suction-cup mounted GPS and will be adding another display screen for the TPMS. I might be able to see out the windshield when it is all done?????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
I tried to get DW to clean the truck bed, but the suggestion did not go over too well and the results will definitely leave a mark. Actually, I did sweep all of the leaves out of the truck bed this morning, but the actual cleaning won't happen until this week during the preparations for the weeklong visit to Myrtle Beach. Besides, if I document a dirty bed, then no one gets their expectations up too high regarding cleanliness!!!!
Bingo

Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bingo,

If you decide to start listening to Cathy, the audio will be a help in backing with her guiding. You do listen once in a while, don't you? My BU camera also has audio. I just had to learn "Texan." Whoa means stop. Now I know so I'm getting used to it.

I noticed on the pin box that the cable is going to be hanging straight down. Is this by design? I'd be concerned of the weight and the possibility of slipping out. Not that it would do any harm, you just would not be able to hear the honking.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
Bingo,

Looks like they did a great job. You're going to love the camera. We have the same unit only ours is wireless from the 5er to the truck.
Looking at the pictures, I didn't see the power cord hanging from the monitor. Did they hard wire it in?
If they didn't, you may want to put a cable clamp on the back of the monitor to support the power cable. I found that with mine, there was no support and the tiny wires ended up breaking at the point of the connector. Just a suggestion.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Looks like a nice job. I have a question. Do any states prohibit having something like that hanging from the mirror? I know some places do have laws saying no fuzzy dice or those kinds of things hanging from the mirror. In that situation, does the Voyager have a dash or windshield mount you could use?

A backup camera is something I'd really like to have. Nice job. Thanks for all the great info.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
To answer a few questions,
The first one from Wayne asking if I listen to Cathy. My reply is "no comment"!! Next from Wayne, the dealer initially installed the quick-connect female end horizontally, and the weight of the cable was actually pulling the receptacle down. We elected to have it facing down to allow for an easy hookup from the back of the truck. Also, the connector has the tabbed type lock (same as the umbilical cord) that prevents any slippage from occurring in the connection. Ray, if you look closely at the picture that shows the monitor below the rear-view mirror, you will notice a cable on the left side of the left side of the rear-view mirror mount. This is the cable to the monitor, and it does not have any weight on it since it is coming from beneath the top console. I am concerned about the plastic connector to the rear of the monitor, but I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it. Steve, I really don't know about the legalities of the monitor, but it is not hanging from the mirror, it is on a windshield mount that is hidden from view. It can be moved up and down, but I plan on having the GPS windshield mount below that. I haven't figured out where the TPMS monitor will be mounted, but I do recall a system that clamps onto an ac vent on the dash panel. I really did not anticipate the monitor being so big and am actually glad that I selected the "small" size that is available. Besides, I still have the entire left side of the windshield available for who knows what that can be added later!!
Bingo

Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is one idea on the screen, I removed my ash-tray and trimmed a little plastic. I like it down in the shade of the dash. (The S.O. cord hanging down to the right is my 120V outlet cord from my inverter.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am going to look at that area hard Ozz. Our Chevy has a center console though and available room is scarce, but it is a good option if I can figure out how to make room. My initial thoughts on the location being up high is that it is easy to glance over as if looking at the rear view mirror. I am also considering something along the lines of actually mounting it directly over the mirror itself, if I can come up with a suitable sturdy mounting mechanism. We will see how restricted the vision is this weekend on the 9 hour trip to Myrtle. Will have the GPS under it just so I can evaluate the visibility.
Bingo

Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
I realize this thread is a tad dated but I am taking on this project too. Just curious - how did the dealership installers feed the cable through the rear cap to the bottom of the coach? Is it just airspace inside enough to feed the cable through? I'm thinking I may have to buy additional cable to link the two together in the truck bed like you did. Thanks, Tony
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is airspace there. The removed the top corner lamp to fish the cable to there and then fished (is that a word?) the cable to the bottom of the rear cap alongside the large rear window.
Bingo

Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
ok, thank you!
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote