Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Decals peeling

We have a 2007 model 3400RL that we purchased in July of 2006. We lived in it FT until October of 2007. We moved in to our new stick house then. The rig has been in storage (covered, no elec, only nose not covered) since then. We brought the trailer to our house today to do general clean up, etc. (Mickey's cousins had invaded) and noticed that the "Montana" decal on the nose was starting to peel. I don't want my rig to look "tacky", but if I need to peel "Montana" off the nose what am I hurting except a rolling ad for Keystone? The way I look at it, if their graphics are defective, they (Keystone) ought to replace them at their cost for the mobile advertisement. Opinions, please!

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You might try Steve Zacher at www.dontdriveugly.com. He does custom work on TV's and RV's and a lot of commercial stuff. He is somewhat expensive but his decals are NEW. He makes them in his shop. I bought decals for my TV and had him install them. If you talk to him, tell him Phil sent you.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
You may want to do a search on decals. D and M On The Road found a place that will work with Montana owners and the decal problems. We've gotten a complete set for our 2002 model. We do not have them on the rig yet but hope to by end of summer.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You might want to call the service center in Goshen first and explain the problem. They just might help out???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
rjjj....

I've done a ton of research on the graphics that come on our Montanas and it's all here in the following two links. I urge anyone who is noticing any wear on their decals to read the links in order in their entirety:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28114&SearchTerms=decals

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29015&SearchTerms=decals

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
I have an "04" 3670RL 90% of the decals where starting to shrink or peel so I took some pictures of the worse areas and emailed them to Keystone, one reply from them asking for an address and they sent me a complete replacement set from front to back. Kudo's to Keystone for excellent customer service and standing behind there product.
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
FYI, they sent me a replacement decal for the front, as well. Problem is, I haven't found anyone who will replace it for less than $300-400.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
We are undecided on removing the front cap decals from our soon-to-arrive 3000RK. I asked Keystone not add them and just throw them in the basement. They won't ship without the decals attached. They did say that when only a few days/weeks old the decals will be easy to remove and won't show any discoloration....I don't mind the side decals. But think the front ones should be removed.....another factor is the signage factor from the street when parked at home.....Keystone also said the decals are much tougher today than in the past and should last longer and look better.....Is that really true?

What do do??????

Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William O. Phillips

Keystone also said the decals are much tougher today than in the past and should last longer and look better.....Is that really true?
It better be true, Bill. I just got my new "Montana" nose cap decal sent to me. I am waiting for the right opportunity to have it put on. I will be ticked if it is the same material as the last one. I should know in about 9 months...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We just got back from the Black Hills and when I was cleaning the bugs off the nose of the trailer I was shocked how bad they have gotten just these past couple of months. I'm very disappointed as ours is only a 2006. I know that Keystone reads this MOC and I hope they do something to bring resolution to all of us.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mac, it's my impression that they have already quietly changed vendors on these decals. Supposed to be better now?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

That doesn't do us a heck of a lot of good now does it? I'm very frustrated considering it's less than three years old. I hope they step up and send them to anyone who asks, but then how much to apply? Can anyone answer that question that has replaced theirs?

mac
Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mac, there has bee a couple other threads recently on here about peeling decals. Might want to do a search. Prices were mentioned, but they were all over the board. Don't remember any under $300 for install. My goal is to wait until I need something else done on my Montana, then politely ask if they could PLEASE ("with sugar and spice" as my Mom used to say) put on the "Montana" nose decal. Not sure if that will work at a dealership, but might at the Service Center in Goshen...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

I would agree I wouldn't think a dealer would be too inclined to take care of it for you with a lot of sugar AND spice. If you take it to the factory that may be the trick. Problem with that for me is I still have a job and even if I didn't I would have to make sure it was part of another trip or a rally with the cost of diesel these days.

mac

Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was told by the the Keystone Cust Serv rep that it was not that hard to take the old one off (hairdryer/heat gun) and put the new one on. GREAT! Glad to hear it's not going to be that much trouble for them to put that then, right??? Easy for me means a breeze for them... the way I figure it.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Here's a reprint from another one of my posts on research I did on graphics & the Montana graphics in particular:

Burlington Graphics has been the ONLY vendor supplying decals for the Montana line.
---They are a 24 year old company that specializes in screen, flexographic and high resolution digital printing.
---They are considered one of the top graphic companies in the USA.

"Avery” (the leading name in labels & adhesive paper) supplies Burlington Graphics with the adhesive vinyl graphic paper.
---Graphics have a street life of 5 to 7 years if maintained properly.
---It's a 2 mil cast paper and one of the best you can get.
---The thinner the better when it comes to the graphics industry. You don't want a thick edge on graphics. That just allows for water to collect & sit on the edge and that weakens the edging which allows for curling of the graphic and it gives the wind something to grab onto.
---As with anything else, whenever better vinyls and adhesives are produced, Burlington will upgrade to the newer product. That is why some folks who get replacement graphics might notice a change in them.

Any one of the below will shorten the street life of the graphics:
---Graphics applied to the vehicle in weather below 55 degrees.
---Live in areas that get constant hot sun.
---Prolonged exposure to the sun.
---Stored outside without a cover.
---High-pressured washed.
---Not waxed several times a year.

It’s impossible to keep our RVs out of the sun while traveling. But what we can do is:
---Try to get shaded campsites.
---Store the RV under shelter or get a cover for it.
---Hand wash and wax it more often. Washing and waxing is critical. We should be waxing every couple of months, at least. Waxing keeps water/rain/moisture from collecting and sitting on the edge of the graphic which will eventually work it's way under the graphic and the graphic will start to peel.

Why the graphics aren't laminated: Remember when many years back, the automotive industry had problems with the “clear coat” on automobile paint fading and cracking. It happened mainly to vehicles in the west due to the hot sun exposure, but was seen on vehicles across the USA. That is what would happen to laminated graphics on RVs with prolonged sun.
---Consumers who go to the length to have custom graphics installed on their autos & trucks, usually maintain them, wash & wax their vehicles far more than their RVs so laminated graphics fare rather well on those vehicles and the graphics will usually last their estimated street life. We had bought new a 1976 Datsun that ended up being afflicted with the “clear coat” problem and we definitely wouldn’t want to see it on our RV.

It's not known why some Montanas have problems
with their graphics right away and some still look like new.
The only thing that is known for sure...
since the street life of graphics under perfect conditions is estimated
to be at 5 to 7 years, we all will have problems with our graphics sooner or later.

If you have been told by your dealer or Keystone that the graphics year you need is out of print, or no longer available, or you are out of warranty, contact the nice folks at Burlington. They will help you.

Burlington Graphics says:

"BGS is willing to help other Montana owners whose RVs have gone beyond their warranty term."

If you are out of warranty and want help in replacing some or all of your graphics, take a couple pictures of your graphics and contact Don Jacob. His contact information is below:

Don Jacob
Customer Service Rep.
Burlington Graphic Systems
Ph: 262-554-8808 Ext. 1118 / Fx. 262-554-8586
don.jacob@burlingtongraphics.com
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Give Keystone a call. We just had the nose decals replaced on ours by Keystone. No charge. They agreed they should last longer than they did. Ours is just a month younger than yours (August 2006). I was told they try to get material that will last but they never know for sure until time goes by. Makes sense.

I don't know if the new decals are the same material as the old ones or not. They do look really good, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote