Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #41
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Replace that long breakaway cable with one of these and not have to worry about it any more.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-8...75754338&psc=1

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #42
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad&Tam View Post
I just purchased a Montana Mountaineer that has the Max Turn Technology. The dealer suggested I install a slider hitch so I chose the Pull Rite Auto Slider instead of the manual. Still waiting on some mounting parts to install this particular unit but now see a regular hitch might have been okay.

Anyone ever had any issues turning a Montana with a regular fifth wheel hitch without the slider?

Just curious.
I have the pullrite 4400 on a short bed F250. Once hooked up I love it. It's the hooking up that's a pain in the , well you know I. You have to be level and dead on to the PIN to hook up. Too much to the left, too much to the right and you will not be able to hook up. When you are ready to unhook you have to back into the hitch to release the pin. All that being said once you have a successful hook up you will love the hitch. No matter how sharp the turn you won't have to worry about the fiver getting into the bed rails of the truck .Now that I have gotten used to mine, yes I would do it again.i have been on some rough roads in campgrounds, especially backing into a site where the pullrite has saved me from damaging my truck.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #43
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
One of my winter projects is to build an "extractor" for my tractor bucket so I can take it in and out much easier. I have to load it into the bucket now, and on the ground that's easy, because I just slide it in. But, then in the truck, I have to drag it over the rails (I have one of the first generation models), and get it in place.

I saw this on the B&W website the other day:

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...lifting-device

I have an extra kingpin sitting around, so I'm going to make a lifting device out of that for lifting the hitch out of my truck. Hopefully, it makes the entire operation easier. We'll see...
I made one out of a 2" galvanized pipe nipple 6" long with end caps and a large eye bolt. <$10. Hardware store guy thought I was making a pipe bomb ,
I don't have a tractor (though I wish I did) so I bought a portable engine hoist at HF for $99 on sale. I had to make a boom extension to reach the hitch but the lift capacity is 1 ton so you don't loose enough to worry about. I raise it just enough to clear the bed and then drive the truck out from under. I have the OEM puck system so this really helps putting it in as that is much trickier than the old rail system.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #44
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I made one out of a 2" galvanized pipe nipple 6" long with end caps and a large eye bolt. <$10. Hardware store guy thought I was making a pipe bomb ,
I don't have a tractor (though I wish I did) so I bought a portable engine hoist at HF for $99 on sale. I had to make a boom extension to reach the hitch but the lift capacity is 1 ton so you don't loose enough to worry about. I raise it just enough to clear the bed and then drive the truck out from under. I have the OEM puck system so this really helps putting it in as that is much trickier than the old rail system.
Like the pipe bomb!!

Actually, I've thought about doing this with an engine hoist as well. While having a tractor is nice, it's not always the easiest thing to "precisionly" maneuver around. You could move an engine hoist aournd a lot easier than I can the tractor.

I'll see how the tractor goes, but leave the engine hoist idea in my back pocket...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #45
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I keep watching for the $99 HF hoist
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #46
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I keep watching for the $99 HF hoist
$149.99 until Monday.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #47
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Black Friday $128.99. Might not get much better than that...
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #48
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Been towing my Montana with a short bed Ford for over 15 years now with no slider and no problems. I wouldn’t advise one way or the other, though.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #49
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
A user on FB page just commented that they hit the cab in their TV while making a tight turn moving forward.

Returning me that there are two types of motorcycle riders:. Those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

There are also two types of 5er short box owners:. Those that have hit the cab, and those that are going to hit the cab.

Auto sliders are cheap cheap insurance. You are playing with fire otherwise. I don't know the circumstances with the FB poster, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they were in a situation where they wouldn't have had the time to use a manual slider.

It happens so quick...
Old 11-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #50
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
There are several hitch options for short boxes. We chose the clean bed technology and preferred the full weight of the hitch just slight forward of the C/L of my axle. Hitch experts do not recommend going aft of the center line for any sustained period of time. I also prefer the auto sliding ability of a hitch. To my knowledge, that leaves Demco and PullRite as the only true auto-sliders. Although, both use a gear system, I'm not suggesting that Demco is inferior product, but the PullRite is just cleaner and in a league of their own. They also make the adaptive plate for the puck system. There is always adequate space when making even the tightest of turns and plenty of clearance over the rails. Our whole unit is removable leaving the truck bed clean and having no rails. I simply slide it over from a dedicated table I have, to the truck's pucks, set in place, secure it and within a minute, I'm ready to hitch up. When I'm ready to remove it, same practice in reverse and slide it to the tailgate onto the dedicated table. I made the table out of 2x4's and plywood and has locking casters, so it's mobile. Since I have sprayed on LINE-X bed liner, it doesn't scratch the truck box and slides easily.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #51
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
...They also make the adaptive plate for the puck system. There is always adequate space when making even the tightest of turns and plenty of clearance over the rails. Our whole unit is removable leaving the truck bed clean and having no rails. I simply slide it over from a dedicated table I have, to the truck's pucks, set in place, secure it and within a minute, I'm ready to hitch up. When I'm ready to remove it, same practice in reverse and slide it to the tailgate onto the dedicated table. I made the table out of 2x4's and plywood and has locking casters, so it's mobile. Since I have sprayed on LINE-X bed liner, it doesn't scratch the truck box and slides easily.
The puck system install would be nice for the slide ability. The old versions have to be lifted over the rails, and so do the new industry standard rail systems...
Old 11-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #52
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
trying to think what i was going to do to get my pullrite out of the truck,thought about winches, hoists, never thought about the table even with the bed and then just move the table away until needed again. what about 4 pieces of 1/2 pvc pipe to go under it and rolling it to the table. may take a little lifting to get the pvc under the hitch but it will save me scratching the tuff coat bed liner. love the idea of the table, going to work on that tomorrow! thx for the idea
al
3931fb
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #53
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
trying to think what i was going to do to get my pullrite out of the truck,thought about winches, hoists, never thought about the table even with the bed and then just move the table away until needed again. what about 4 pieces of 1/2 pvc pipe to go under it and rolling it to the table. may take a little lifting to get the pvc under the hitch but it will save me scratching the tuff coat bed liner. love the idea of the table, going to work on that tomorrow! thx for the idea
al
3931fb
You could also use a piece of plywood (maybe 1/2” thick) and slide the hitch on that and not scuff your bed liner.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #54
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Black Friday $128.99. Might not get much better than that...
You got me thinking so I went back and looked at cc records. That $99 one was for an in bed crane that didn't work out. I originally paid 207.11, then an sale ad came out the next week and I went back and got a credit back of 86.40 leaving me the final cost of $120.71. That is tax included so the base price would have been about 112.
That all happened in late June/early July, so I'm guessing it was a fouth of july sale.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:06 AM   #55
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
... That is tax included so the base price would have been about 112.
So, the Black Friday sale might not be all that bad after all. I need to work on my arrangement with my tractor, so that if that doesn't work, I can pick one of these up on Black Friday...
Old 11-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #56
3 fingers
Established Member

M.O.C. #21909
Morning,it is or could be at the slides where it is 102". But it will make a difference if it is 102 at the front..it will eat up 3 more inches of width if you get 90 degrees and less angle with backing up a slope or going down hill into a corner..Best practice is to still pay attention. I have a short box Silverado and manual slide hitch. I take the time to slide it if need be as to save glass all over the back seat and it also makes it easier to steer it backwards. After 40 years of heavy haul and oil field hauling have not damaged my tow vehicles windows or cabs..Have a Great Day All..
3 fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #57
3 fingers
Established Member

M.O.C. #21909
Morning,if your making 180 degree turns with your trailer I am surprised you did not dent front fender going under neck on trailer. Have a great day, I realize it is a type o. But it is raining and have nothing to do right now. HAVE A GREAT DAY !!
3 fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #58
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
My slider sits on 2 bed rails. Two men can lift it out but it is heavy, too heavy for the wife and I. The only place I remove mine is at the house. With my double garage door open, I can access the back side of the garage door header which is 3 2x12's. So I put 2 ladder hooks which self thread into the back side of the header. I put them about 3 feet apart. Then I took an old 7 foot log chain, hooked both ends together to form a circle, stretched it out and hooked both ends to the ladder racks. I purchased an old block and tackle from an antique store that has old, ferayed 1 inch rope and a large hook on both ends of the blocks. Hooked one end of the block and tackle to the log chain on the header. I back the truck under it to where the tail gate is at the block and tackle. I can drag the hitch myself, one side at a time back to the tail gate. Then I hook the other end of the block and tackle to the hitch plate where the pin goes (it catches the front side of that opening). The hitch is back-heavy so the front side naturally hangs up. I lift the hitch with the block and tackle as high as it will go. Then the wife holds the block and tackle rope while I drive away from it. Then let it to the floor, turn it on it's side and roll it away with a 2-wheel dolly. Reverse the process when we hook back up.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #59
bobsorrells

M.O.C. #23529
Crane for Lifting Hitch Out

Quote:
One of my winter projects is to build an "extractor" for my tractor bucket so I can take it in and out much easier. I have to load it into the bucket now, and on the ground that's easy, because I just slide it in. But, then in the truck, I have to drag it over the rails (I have one of the first generation models), and get it in place.

I saw this on the B&W website the other day:

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...lifting-device

I have an extra kingpin sitting around, so I'm going to make a lifting device out of that for lifting the hitch out of my truck. Hopefully, it makes the entire operation easier. We'll see...
Here's the crane I was thinking about, in the 500 lb. variety.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE0WCW...v_ov_lig_dp_it
bobsorrells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #60
Brad&Tam

M.O.C. #25216
Hello all

Ended up getting the slider hitch and works well. Wouldn't buy unless 100% necessary though. Hitching up is a little tricky.
Brad&Tam is offline   Reply With Quote