Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #1
Retire 2022
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20065
2017 H&S Intercooler Pipe OEM replacement

Good morning everyone. How many of you have installed the H&S Intercooler Pipe on your 2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstrokes? I've been reading a lot about how they blow up and leave you stranded on the side of the road. Why does Ford use such a part if they know it will blow up?
What's your advice on whether to replace it now or wait and see what happens? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Retire 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I replaced mine last fall using the H&S. The original had been replace under warranty at about 17,000 miles along with the cooler. At about 102,000 I decided after a couple folks on the Ford truck forum (FTE) suggested that there could be a problem. After pulling the old one off, found that it was starting to get soft at the CAC.

If you do replace the CAC tube, be aware that H&S offer two versions. One needs to use a tuner, the other will work on the stock engine. My only complaint with mine was the clamps -- there are better ones for a few bucks.

Also, there are other brands that physically look better but don't work any better
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Mine went out at about 70k miles with NO WARNING! Was towing Montana on flat ground at 62mph and KABOOM!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Ed C
Established Member

M.O.C. #22849
My CAC just went out. Had towed my 2019 3700LK over Donner Summit the previous day. Was not towing at the time I heard the bracket come off, and did not know what it was at the time. The next day, hooked up, left the CG, and had no power to tow. Had to leave the Monty in Truckee, and head to the dealer. Dealer repaired immediately, under warranty, at 68,000 miles. Mechanic said it had nothing to do with towing - it was just its time...
PS - I should have drained the water before parking the Monty in Truckee. Temp is in the teens at night, doesn't get above freezing until around noon. Fortunately, there was no freeze damage. I normally don't winterize, as we use it in all four seasons, but I do drain everything when parked at home. Worried about it all night!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
That's a bummer. I too would be up all night worrying about my baby out in the cold.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I installed this one, just for peace of mind. I chose it because it was a good price, looked as good as any and no tuning required. I carry the OEM unit as a spare. Took about 1 hour to install.

Note: on the OEM unit, the sensor is on the rear side of the pipe; on the YJ Racing unit, it is on top. No issues, just confusing when trying to install it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I installed this one, just for peace of mind. I chose it because it was a good price, looked as good as any and no tuning required. I carry the OEM unit as a spare. Took about 1 hour to install.

Note: on the OEM unit, the sensor is on the rear side of the pipe; on the YJ Racing unit, it is on top. No issues, just confusing when trying to install it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Scott,

Did you consider carrying the new one as a spare? Is it something you could change beside the road without a lot of trouble if needed?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Scott,

Did you consider carrying the new one as a spare? Is it something you could change beside the road without a lot of trouble if needed?
I thought about it, but decided I would rather have the upgraded pipe installed.
It could be changed on the road if necessary. It probably took about an hour, no special tools, I think I just needed a deep socket. It is tight quarters getting it on and might not be fun with a hot engine.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Thanks Scott, makes sense. Probably easier to do it the second time if you had to reinstall the original.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #10
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
Hi Ya'll from Idaho
You all have made me aware of this issue, so I was getting geared up to take action. I've got a 2015 F-350 with 6.7 diesel. Pull a 2011 3000RK. Got 27K miles on truck. Had friend who had 2006 F-350 who had his blow off. He just bought 2018 and claims ford has corrected the problem and I don't need to worry. Had truck in to dealer for oil change couple days ago. Discussed issue with multiple employees at dealership. They all said shouldn't be a problem, and if it did happen to just put it back on and tighten the clamp.
AND, I took a photo under the hood and there is nothing there that looks like the part scottz shows in his post.
Anyone interested in a further explanation for this person who has never been a diesel owner before?
Am 98% finished with wet bolt and LRE replacement project. Ran into bad zerk after bolt was installed and had been tested prior to installation. Frustrating. Old zerk is different size than new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	innercooler.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	2824  
Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ford corrected the problem just put the hose back on and tighten the clamp. Good luck with that. I can this of two things wrong with that really quick. First how are you going to tighten the clamp if it’s not there. Most of the time the clamp gets blown off and the second the OEM hoses will be oil soaked because they are silicone rubber and they won’t stay on. The hoses blowed off because they are oil soaked and worked their way out from under the clamp. Pulling your camper worse case for the hoses most of the time it’s hot weather and you are under high boost for long periods of time.
Get some good aftermarket hoses have them installed double clamps where possible then carry the OEM hoses and clamps with you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
On the LHS (driver's side), look on the fender well for what is called a CAC (Charge Air Ciiler) It will be probably be silver colored. On the bottom of that cooler will be a black rubber and plastic hose connected that runs to the inlet air system.

Here is one of several videos on You Tube:

The techs are correct if it just blows off the fitting to just replace it. What they didn't tell you how many of those plastic tubes actually rupture - and when that happens, you then call for a tow truck. If you truck is out of warranty, then expect to pay 3-500 bucks including tow plus wasted time hours for the repairs - if the replace,emt is in stock and your failure isn't in West Overshoe on a Saturday evening
Old 12-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
I thought about it, but decided I would rather have the upgraded pipe installed.
It could be changed on the road if necessary. It probably took about an hour, no special tools, I think I just needed a deep socket. It is tight quarters getting it on and might not be fun with a hot engine.
I got really lucky and had been carrying a new OEM pipe for about 4 months in the rig when mine let go on a Friday afternoon in 5 o'clock traffic on the interstate. A buddy of mine had his grenade and that coaxed me into getting the spare. Mine is a '13 however and yes, it's a bit uncomfortable on the side of the interstate with a hot engine, but a 7/16" deep well and 8" extension and a pair of needle nose pliers did the trick. As far as the '17 goes. the buddy I have to thank for pressuring me to get a spare, bought a '17 and yep, they are still plastic and will grenade as well. One of the first mods hi did was the H&S CAC pipe. By the way, the H&S is what I have on mine as I changed it a week or so after arriving at my door. I've done three other camping buddy's trucks since. All with H&S.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
When my truck was in the Ford shop a while back, the mechanic working on it asked me where I got the pipe. He liked it and said it was a lot better than the Ford part. He had replaced a number of ruptured pipes, of course with the Ford part, to the tune of several hundred dollars each.

This is the cold side intercooler pipe: (before & after photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2829   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2830  
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
When my truck was in the Ford shop a while back, the mechanic working on it asked me where I got the pipe. He liked it and said it was a lot better than the Ford part. He had replaced a number of ruptured pipes, of course with the Ford part, to the tune of several hundred dollars each.

This is the cold side intercooler pipe: (before & after photos)
What brand is that and how much did it cost ? The H&S that I have seen are rubber.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
I just ordered the upgrade kit from H & S Motorsports for $285
The order states the flexible part is made out of silicone.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #17
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
I just ordered the upgrade kit from H & S Motorsports for $285
The order states the flexible part is made out of silicone.
Just a caution as there are two H&S kits. One uses the standard OEM computer 'tune' and the other kit requires a performance 'tune'. I assume you saw that, but ya never know!!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
What brand is that and how much did it cost ? The H&S that I have seen are rubber.
YJ Racing, $146. See post #6. The boots are silicon. It was a little difficult to get on due to the tight quarters you are working in; any pipe would have the same issue. One note: the sensor port on the OEM pipe is on the back (facing driver), the sensor port on the YJ pipe is on the top. No problem, there is plenty of wire to move the sensor to the top. If you try to position the YJ pipe with the sensor port on the back, it will never go.

Be careful taking the sensor out of the OEM pipe, it is real easy to break off the little tab that locks it in place. Don't ask me how I know, but a new sensor is $24 at Ford. The sensor does not lock perfect in the YJ pipe; I used a little dab of RTV silicon to secure the tab (do not put RTV on the sensor).

This is not an endorsement, it works for me (have several thousand miles on it) and the price was great. Do your own research and make a decision.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #19
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
For peace of mind, I changed mine at 70,xxx miles, on my 2013. I used the H&S OEM style.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
Got the H & S OEM replacement intercooler pipe replaced on my 2015 Ford F-350. The OEM pipe came out quickly and easily. I used a bungee cord to hold the interfering coolant hoses out of the way. Was following the installation instructions that came with the new parts. Lots of grunting and groaning trying to get the new one wrestled into place. Had to figure out my own method. Put the bottom silicone 90 degree pipe in place first, then installed the metal and straight silicone pieces. Had to remove the coolant line from the connection just above the lower connection because it interfered with the installation. Finally got everything put in place. The instructions said to locate the sensor on the front side. THAT will NOT fit. The sensor has to be located on the top.
The new kit includes a short metal strap to be used to support the power steering fluid reservoir. OMG, that is totally unprofessional!!!! After this experience I would opt for the replacement that SCOTTZ chose. It looks like the parts have the same twists and bends as the original pipe, without interference with the power steering fluid reservoir or any of the other pieces and parts located under the hood. Short test drive went well. Headed to Phoenix from Idaho on the 2nd, and hope it all works well.