Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #181
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
Before you go to all the trouble of sealing the underbelly think about trying some mothballs or Downy sheets down there. Might do the trick for a lot less work. I worry about you laying on your back under the Monty with your arms upstretched. (Spell check says this isn't a word!) Okay, now I will quit playing Mother! LOL
Happy trails.........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #182
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
I think I now own stock in bounce fabric sheets. I have sheets in almost every drawer, cabinet, cubby hole, under the sofa and in the basement. The nice thing is every time you walk into the coach, it smells like spring rain... =) I will be waiting to see if the mice problem returns before I tackle the tape project. Not sure if the old arms will be able to handle the job at this stage in the recovery process.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #183
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Dave,
Before you go to all the trouble of sealing the underbelly think about trying some mothballs or Downy sheets down there. Might do the trick for a lot less work. I worry about you laying on your back under the Monty with your arms upstretched. (Spell check says this isn't a word!) Okay, now I will quit playing Mother! LOL
Happy trails.........................
Sue, that's why they have that little "Add" button along the side panel of the spell check window. I use it all the time... You would think Webster would have thought of some of these words. I invent them all the time. Drives Cheryl nuts...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #184
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We use a few moth balls strategically placed and the bounce sheets, but if those critters want in, they WILL get in!! That statement about the Darko tape being "mouseproof" - my money's on the mouse! We live in the country and it's a real game to try to keep all the critters out! My fear is the reports about squirrels munching on propane lines - there's a difference between nuisance and animal vandalism! In fact I need to go check a couple of "sticky" mouse traps and clean out a mouse nest in the TT and set some rat traps in my old shed - I saw signs in there yesterday.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:10 AM   #185
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cats..we live in a wooded area.The rear of our property borders woods..Lots of field Meece .The neighborhood Cats keep things pretty clean.We have no meece in the house or the camper..so get yourself a pack of Big Ole Cats and the meece problem is solved...now wasp and hornets are another story///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:20 AM   #186
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just curious, Rich. What's your bird think of sharing the community with all those cats? I'll bet it can hold it's own, though. If it can keep humans in line, I imagine anything smaller is a piece of cake.

Can't you train your bird to track down mice? Of course the down side to that, is that means you would now have a "meat eating" bird on board with you... It might not go after you because it's mad. It might be looking for a between meal snack...

Sorry... got carried away. It's all those "predator-prey" experiments and field observations I did on the way to my Biology degree at Mich Tech. SOunds more like an Alfred Hitchcock movie...
Old 05-09-2006, 04:25 AM   #187
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I know there was a LARGE thread on mice, buit I am wondering if anyone tried spraying a little (a lot?) of that pet repellent, "Pet-Off", etc in their basements to see if mice don't like (or like) that stuff. I believe the down side, if it really did work, is that it probably wears off after a week. I don't know. Maybe not.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 AM   #188
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
The best thing I have found so far that really seems to help rid(kill) the mice is Decon and the small green cubes. The cubes will be taken back to the nest and ate by the whole group and then will DIE. The Decon does the same thing, but only to the ones that actually eat it while the box is under the coach. I would rather not bring them close to the coach if I dont have to. Oh I also have 9 of those ultra sonic things plugged in, supposed to drive critters, and bugs away. I guess my coach should be just screaming with ultra sonic sound waves, hope those will help as well.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #189
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The bird doesn't know anything from anything.There are a couple of those meece eating cats that will sit outside the rear patio doors with a eyeball on the bird in its cage.Waiting for one mistake One actually got in the house once but we beat it back outside. There are some cooper hawks that patrol the back yard and once or twice have Kamikazed while the bird was on Helen's shoulder.Helen , like most pet folks, thinks the bird has human intelligence when it is just a stupid old bird.It is just a matter of time till a Cat or a Hawk, both of which are smarter than the bird..will have lunch..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #190
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I know those hawks love come dive on unsuspecting birds and other mammals, but if I were one of these birds of prey, and just happened to catch a glimpse of a potential meal (bird) shredding metal blinds with it's beak... It might give me pause. I might not be that hungry...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #191
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well Rich could get a cat, that would take care of two problems at once for him. Getting rid of the bird, and taking care of any possible mice before they become a problem. =)