Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #29
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
When you first drive the dually without the 5th wheel attached, you will feel uncomfortable going between a semi and the center concrete barrier on a tight highway turn, but after a few weeks, you will not even notice it anymore. In fact people tend to get out of your way, or give you more leeway. Plus on the mountain highway between Tahoe and Reno, the turns that say 50 mph or 55 mph, I can keep the cruise control on at 70 mph since the speed limit is 65, and it goes thru the turns like it is on rails. I can't imagine how much it would take a dually to tip over going thru a turn. As far as parking goes, it is not that big a deal, and most of the time when you park at a parking lot people tend to not park next to you. If you go to a restaurant and it is crowded, just hand the keys to the valet, and let them park it! :-) They usually end up putting it right in front because they don't have great spots in back. There were only 3 places I was nervous with the dually in our 40 states and 2 provinces of Canada so far, and that was downtown Boston, and some of the smaller roads in Carmel, CA, and the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National park. Now my dually with 4:10 gears and auto leveling airbags is going to be at the limit when we get our new SOB 5th wheel, that will have a pin weight when loaded of around 4,500 pounds! With my wife and I and our two Golden's and the 5th wheel hitch and 55 gallons of fuel, we weigh in at 9,620 pounds before we drop the 5th wheel on the back! The 14,000 GVWR seems to be on almost every 3 series truck, but the GAWR for our dually on the rear axle is 9,750 and the front is 6,000 so I'm thinking we will be OK!