Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
California Trip

Next April 2019 we are going to start our California trip, starting in Los Angeles and headed north and ending in San Francisco. We want to see it all, good wineries, good site seeing (ocean, mountains, historical stuff). So where are some of the stops we need to stop and checkout. Our trip ends in San Francisco. We can go from the west side to east side of California. Also, we have a 40 foot 5th wheel, how difficult of a drive is it to go from Apple Valley Ca to Huntington Beach, Ca? Looking at the Loa Angeles map it looks like a interstate nightmare! Thanks for any and all information you provide!

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Three,

Towing through LA or San Francisco will be a little stressful - try to find off times to get through. A lot of the state parks will not support your 40 foot rig. Lots to see and do. State speed limit towing is 55 - not overly enforced in most areas but recommend you take it easy. Gas prices are very high but diesel is more reasonable by comparison.

Dockweiler RV park is on the beach but near LAX - its a decent place to stay in LA. Pelican Point RV Park in Half Moon Bay near San Francisco was not a particularly great park but had good beach access and was near to a good area to explore and eat - a great location. Housing is expensive resulting in folks trying to live in a lot of the parks. Make reservations early. If you are eligible to use military parks it open several good options.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Morro bay is worth staying. Stay at morro dunes rv park. It is full hook up, safe, and a decent park ran by folks that care. Walk across the street and you are on the beach. It is close to wine country, pismo beach, and hearst castle. All can be done based out of here and of course morro bay is right there. Dorn's restaurant is THE place to go for clam chowder and has other fine dining items.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Pacifica RV park is just south of San Francisco. It's located on a bluff right on the ocean. Been going there for years, great spot!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Three View Post
Next April 2019 we are going to start our California trip, starting in Los Angeles and headed north and ending in San Francisco. We want to see it all, good wineries, good site seeing (ocean, mountains, historical stuff). So where are some of the stops we need to stop and checkout. Our trip ends in San Francisco. We can go from the west side to east side of California. Also, we have a 40 foot 5th wheel, how difficult of a drive is it to go from Apple Valley Ca to Huntington Beach, Ca? Looking at the Loa Angeles map it looks like a interstate nightmare! Thanks for any and all information you provide!

If you have never driven in the Los Angeles area, with or without a trailer, you are in for a treat. Hopefully you have nerves of steel. Between daytime traffic and night time construction, you will need to have your exact route planned and really keep your eyes on the may and the signs. I have driven through there several times, and each time have said never again, and I was raised down there. If you were able, between 2 am and 4 am would be the best times to travel, but you will be surprised about how much traffic there will be even those times. There is a whole lot more to see in California than Los Angeles and San Francisco, and you won't have to fight extreme congestion to see it. Good luck.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I lived in the bay area in Nor Cal. I avoid LA at all cost. I also never go to San Francisco. San Francisco is a dirty city and homeless everywhere. Sure there is lots to see there and traffic is nothing compared to LA but not worth the hassle to stop there and its stupid expensive. Along the coast is beautiful. The further north you go the rockier the coast becomes. Just north of Cambria Is where you can see lots of seals on the beach. A must stop if you are in the area. They have filled the pool at Herst Castle.Take a tour it's fun Another nice place to visit. Paso Robles area has lots of wineries. . In the north you have to check out Napa. The wine train is a experience to be enjoyed. Lots of wine in the area. You may have to stay in Vallejo. I wanted to go there but that was the closest campground to there I think. Yosemite is hare but a long way from the coast. I like it there. I only go in the winter because i love snow. Get there early so you dont have to fight the traffic ant tour buses loaded with you know what. LOL Diesel here is almost $4 if not more in some places. Have a good trip
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
If you have never driven in the Los Angeles area, with or without a trailer, you are in for a treat. Hopefully you have nerves of steel. Between daytime traffic and night time construction, you will need to have your exact route planned and really keep your eyes on the may and the signs. I have driven through there several times, and each time have said never again, and I was raised down there. If you were able, between 2 am and 4 am would be the best times to travel, but you will be surprised about how much traffic there will be even those times. There is a whole lot more to see in California than Los Angeles and San Francisco, and you won't have to fight extreme congestion to see it. Good luck.
We lived in a small town in Central CA for a few years. One Sat while sitting in the barbershop waiting to get my haircut I talked to a young highway patrol trooper that had been stationed in LA. He said he never pulled anyone over on the freeways in LA unless it was serious - it was just too dangerous from the traffic standpoint to get out of his car for a minor infraction. You will still see bumper to bumper traffic sometimes at 2 AM. You will also see organ donors on motorcycles passing between lanes and knuckleheads weaving through traffic 30 MPH faster than the flow. I must be a gluten for punishment as we are headed that way next weekend dragging our rig to see our daughter. We will stay at Seal Beach which is quiet and make our daughter drive to see us.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
I must be a gluten for punishment as we are headed that way next weekend dragging our rig to see our daughter. .[/QUOTE]

Same thing happening here. My wife just made two loaves of great bread to take to my son's house tomorrow.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
AZ traveler, organ donor, that is funny. I know a medical helicopter pilot they call motorcycles donor cycles. He says in the summer they should carry a cooler full of ice.
I try to be careful on my Honda and never never get on the interstate.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I will not park my truck anywhere in San Francisco. My son lives there and his car has been broken into 5 times and window broken 2 times. When we go to visit we stay in Marin on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. It is a 10 minute walk to the ferry that goes to SF.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you are traveling from AZ area to LA via I10 be careful on fuel. We were headed south on I5 and then I10 East to AZ. From some long gradual hill southbound near the north edge of the metropolitan area until about 50 miles east on I10 I saw ONE gas station. And that was from an elevated freeway over the edge that looked like a local residential area station. Good thing I filled up on the north edge or I wouldn't have made it thru town.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #12
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
In addition to few gas stations, there are no rest stops. A few years ago we drove from San Diego to Sacramento via I5 and 405. There were no rest stops from Orange County through LA County to the Grapevine. Needed to use the bathroom and nowhere to pull off.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
If you are thinking about Yosemite, you might think about staying in Merced, the Elks lodge has an ice park and it's not a bad drive to the Yosemite for the day. It is also right off hwy 99.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Thousand Trails is the closest RV Campground to Yosemite. Tough drive towing 33 foot fiver, but slow and steady gets you there.

No cell phone service at campground, satellite internet hot spot at lounge, very slow. Great cell service in Yosemite Valley by the attractions.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Hearst Castle. Winchester House. State fair in Sacramento.

Did a tour of the West last year which included almost the entire length of California. The drive was not quite as bad as some would have you believe but definitely stay clear of L.A. and S.F. with the RV. Also, don't know what your tow vehicle is, mine is an F350 crew cab dually. Not ideal for touring San Francisco. In fact, it was a pain in the you know what. Find alternate transportation or rent a small car.
I remember San Francisco from the mid 70's and it was cool back then. Now it seems scary.
Just my experience.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #16
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Going to the Rose Parade middle of Dec thru Jan 5. Staying at Castaic,Ca. just off I-5 on west side. 3 Montana convoy, boy, do I regret signing up for this trip....traffic-wise. Gonna be fun navigating thru all that congestion. Coming in on I-10 from Phoenix. It will be about midday as we get to where the fun starts. Then have to backtrack thru there again for return trip.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Diesel is friggin expensive. be prepared to get screwed !! I stayed in Morrow bay, drove to Hearst Castle, worth seeing for sure. I stayed at a caping area many years ago by candlestick park. It was overlooking the pacific all pavement, but had full hook ups !!
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote