Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
HELP! Toilet no longer attached to floor. UPDATED

Wouldn't you know that Bernie is out of town this week for work, and I'm here at the Monty alone.

Yesterday while using the potty, I noticed a lot of wobble. I checked it and the bolts on one side (closest to the exterior wall) were loose. I got a wrench and tightened them, but not too much. Thought I had the problem fixed and this evening while using the potty, the toilet got the same wobble. I checked the bolts I tightened yesterday and they were pulled up and loose again. I noticed when flushing the potty, that there is a small leak on that side of the potty where the toilet sits on the floor. HELP ME! The campground office is only open 4 hours a day. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It sounds to me like your seal went bad and may have damaged the floor around the seal because of the leaking. The toilet will have to be removed, the floor repaired (possibly) so it can hold the new fasteners, and a new seal put in place.
This is not a good thing to happen with you by yourself. I don't know how handy you are, but it would be best to avoid flushing and prevent further leakage. Are there facilities you can use until Bernie gets home?
Not good news...I wish I could be of more help.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, OSB flooring. They can say what they want, but it just doesn't cut the mustard. I would suspect the flush valve leaking more than the seal, as the seal is for gas, to keep the "stink" down. The horn on the bottom of the stool should dump waste down the pipe without the seal, unless there is a blockage downstream causing a back up. Of course, there is always a chance the stool is cracked.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Ozzie, the campground office is only open 4 hours a day during the winter - 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Doesn't do me a lot of good during the night and early morning!

SlickWillie, I don't see a crack on the outside of the stool. That doesn't mean a lot though. Fortunately, Bernie will be home tonight. Allbeit, late. Very late. Maybe he can take a look at it anyway. At least we are still under warranty!!!

Thanks guys for your help! I'm off to work where we have plenty of bathrooms!!!!

Warning: Bernie is only home for one week during the month of October. I may be back seeking help, but let's hope not!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
After the last fiasco with the black tank, and now this, Bernie is going to be quite the expert when it comes to "what goes down!" I sure hope he doesn't have a "crappy" outlook after this.

Edited: p.s., to my knowledge, the toilet bottom attached to the floor is held in place bu wood screws. (The also use metal screws) These have a tendency to pull out after time. When I had my 210 replaced with the 510, the technician put in wood (lag) screws that came through into the basement. I had another mobile technician come to the house and we took the riser out, and he put bolts through to the basement with fender washers for support on the nuts. It made a big difference in the stability when this heavy butt sat down. (DW made me sit for everything in that room)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bernie fixed the potty! The base ring had cracked where the 2 screws were at 12 and 6. They were actually 4 positions for the screws, so he rotated it 90 degrees and reattached it. He added a larger screw and drilled down into the wood to be sure it held! Whew!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Was that "Whew," or "Phew!"

Way to go Bernie. I'll bet you were greeted with open arms when you came home. And "Oh! By the way, the toilet is broke!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
That flange will un screw if you need to replace easy job
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I love this forum!! We just returned from a 3,000+ mile haul and one of the several things to repair was a loose commode. Sure enough I had the same problem. I had tightened up a small wobble and broke out the slot in the base plate. I was afraid it was glued in, came in and read this thread (I knew it was here but had not read it), and sure enough I too was able to rotate it 90 degrees to repair it. I LOVE the MOC and its GREAT members!! Thank you!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote