Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
Mor/Ryde Kingpin

I just added a M/R Kingpin to my Monty, but I can't tell any difference in the ride.
If you have a M/R Kingpin - are you statified with it?
Or is there a better product?
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
We put one on at the fall rally and as soon as we were on the road the DW said " this doesn't ride like a truck anymore!" Yes, we are very satisfied with it and the glasses aren't tipping over in the cupboards anymore.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have the M/R ing pin and are very satisfied. Had the trailaire before and prefer the MoreRyde. Remember, there are lots of things that contribute to chucking motion. And, not all rough ride is due to chucking. Not everyone will benefit from a hitch designed to reduce chucking.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I put the trailair on mine and Ann does not notice the difference but I believe the jarring is dampened. I have to believe it I spent the money.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a Trailair now. My prior unit had a 5th Airborne Pin.Of the two, I prefer the 5th. I have no experience with Mor/Ryde.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We did notice a big difference with our new Mor/ryde king pin. No noticeable chucking anymore. We also had the E/R system put on too and it made our Summer trip to Alaska very enjoyable. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I have the MR and it does make a big difference. I have to check the mirror to see if the unit is still there as it pulls so much better.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, have the MorRyde pin box. I changed out last year due to excessive "chucking", the back and forth motion. I would say the MR stopped about 70% of the chucking. We are happy with it. The only other experience I had was with the stock Lippert pin box that came with it. I think the MorRyde brand is a quality brand that will be around for a long time. Many new trailers are being shipped with the MorRyde pin box....

jmg, You also ask if there is anything better. My opinion and experience, as limited as it is, is that a combination of a quality king pin and a quality hitch will make alot of difference. For myself, as a fulltimer, I chose the MorRyde king pin and the Trailersaver Air hitch. I also had the MorRyde Independent suspension added this fall. My opinion is that this setup is the best I can have, however, one does pay a price for this setup. I have to keep an eye in my rear view mirror to makes sure I still have a home back there!! I cannot address any other combinations as I have no first hand knowledge of them. Perhaps others with a different combination can chime in on this subject.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
None of them will stop all the chucking but we have the Mor Ryde and 70/80% or better is eliminated. The pin box can only do so much and a bad road can negate the pin box ability to eliminate chuck or bounce. Not enough pin weight or overloaded can also have a effect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We put on the MR about 4 months after we got our 3475 in 2006. With a trip in 2007 to Alaska under out belt--we felt it was a good investment. I see new units come with the MR installed.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
One other "suggestion" that may make a noticable difference is something John Kohl educated me on and made a HUGE difference in our ride. We have a HUSKY 16K hitch but this should apply to any hitch.

When we visited John at the Dam Neck Campground in Virginia Beach his neighbor had his hitch tore apart for annual maintainance and John had done his the day before. Well, we had owned our unit for over a year and I had never done any maintainance on the hitch itself other than to put axle grease on the jaws and hitch plate. I had to borrow a large enough socket from a friend (1 1/4 inch) to handle to two largest bolts. Also had to borrow his huge torque wrench (spec was 260 ft-lbs) but tore the beast apart and cleaned and lubed everything. Based on the thin layer of rust on the internal pin of the unit it does not look like the unit EVER had any lubrication on the inner shaft.

I have been trying to save up for a 5th Airborne as our ride has been very rough, and while I would still like to get one someday, the need has been greatly diminshed due to how much better our ride is with a well lubricated hitch connecting the truck and the Monty.

Might be worth a try....what have you got to lose except a sore spot in your enjoyment!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote