Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Route suggestions, Dallas to AZ, say Phoenix

As some of you know, Al and I are on the road, slowly making our way from SE Michigan to Arizona. (If you are not aware, you can catch some of our antics on the blog, see my sig line, Reflections From the Fence.)

Next stop OK City, then Dallas/Fort Worth.

IF you were driving from Dallas/Fort Worth heading to Arizona, which route would you take, and can you suggest places to stop/camp about 250 miles apart, give or take 50.

What about HAVE to stops, for example can we get into Carlsbad Caverns area at this time of the year??

All suggestions gladly accepted and considered.

Thanks.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Carol, We traveled from KC to Phoenix twice in the winter. First time we took I-40 across and got snow bound in Holbrook Az for three days. Second time we stuck to the southern route I-20 (comes right out of Dallas) to I-10 with no trouble. Carlsbad Caverns is a must if you have the time. RV Parks were somewhat scarce when we were there in Feb so we stayed at a KOA north of the town of Carlsbad. (50 or so miles north of the caverns) Might be something closer coming from the south. Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces is very nice but perhaps a little expensive. The people at Hacienda refered us to some great resturants in Las Cruces. We went straight from Las Cruces to Phoenix in one day so can't recommend any RV parks along that portion of the trip but they were plentiful. Have agreat trip, Jim & Linda
Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Carol & Al
We also stayed in Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruses. Its close to histric Old Mesilla, an old town area with lots of history
and some great resturants. From Las Cruses we stayed in Benson, AZ. and visited Kartchner Caverns and old hitoric Tombstone.
In Benson we stayed in Butterfield RV Park. We really enjoyed both places.
Ron & Rose
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Carol, We stayed at an RV park in the town of Carlsbad last year when we visited the Caverns. The park there get's a bad rap from many reviews, but we found it quite acceptable -- no problems for us. It is much more convenient to the Caverns than the KOA north of town.

We traveled I-20 to Midland/Odessa where we visited a cousin (the family genealogist for the Armstrong/Coppedge families) and then took state roads north into New Mexico. We made out way back down from Carlsbad, pausing briefly in the Guadalupe National Park, to rejoin I-20 in El Paso.

Our route, visiting family, took us along I-8 into the San Diego area before we moved on to Los Angeles, but I take it you are not going on that far.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Carol
Also if you are going to Oklahoma City don`t miss the Cowboy Hall Of Fame, we really enjoyed it.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I second the I-20/I-10 route. Abilene has snow right now, but I think the roads have cleared up. Tomorrow is 65/36 degrees, with Sunday at 69/46 degrees. Watch out for any black ice if it has rained.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Next stop OK City, then Dallas/Fort Worth.

IF you were driving from Dallas/Fort Worth heading to Arizona, which route would you take, and can you suggest places to stop/camp about 250 miles apart, give or take 50.

As some others have indicated I'd take the 20 to the 10. If you're going to Carlsbad then you'll want to turn off of 20 at the town of Pecos. This, route 285, will take you north towards Carlsbad. It is good to visit anytime but this will be a slow time for activity -- the bats will not be very active. But is still a nice place to visit.

Once you get to Carlsbad you will take route 180/62 west and south toward El Paso. Many folks complain about the traffic thru EP on I-10 but we've been on it at rush hour and it is no worse than any major metro area. Go up to Las Cruces to find a CG. There are several nice ones on the south and west side of town. Route 10 makes a 90* turn to the west here. If you can make it about an hour west to Deming, NM you can stay at the Escapees park. It's one of the first places you see as you enter town. It's just a dirt/gravel surface but easy in and out. You need to be an Escapee to stay there.

If not a member there is no problem since there are a LOT of CGs in Deming. Let's back up a minute. If you've never seen the White Sands area you really should. If you want to do that then you need to find a place in Las Cruces. White Sands is due east over a small range of mountains. WS is a nice day trip.

OK if you've made it this far then you'll be shooting to make it the Benson area. There is another Escapees park in Benson. About 45 mile west is Tucson. Some huge Resort type parks in the Tucson area.

Very near Benson is a MUST SEE cavern. Kartchner Caverns. It is a still "living" world class cave complex. You may want to make reservations to see this feature. It gets very busy during the winter season.

Near Tucson there is the world famous Biosphere; to the north. To the south and west is a world class Observatory -- Kitt Peak. There is also a fantastic Air Museum on the south and east side of town. Another sight to see would be the San Xavier Del Bac Mission
1950 West San Xavier Road
Tucson, AZ 85746-7409
Get Directions
(520) 294-2624

By taking the route I'm indicating below I'm routing you around Phoenix. If you are planning to go to Phoenix then just stay on 10.

Route wise you will be headed north out of Tucson on 10. About an hour or so north of Tucson at the town of Casa Grande take I-8. This will take you due west. There are a ton of RV Resorts (true resorts) in Casa Grande including the very first Escapees park. It is located about 10 miles west of the actual town.

Keep headed west on 8 until you come to the town of Gila Bend. [Gila is pronounced -- He la]

If you have the time then head south to Organ Pipe National Monument. The Kikel's are volunteers there and would love to have you drop by for a visit. The park is also a sight to see.

If not going to Organ Pipe then head north on hwy 85. This will intersect with I-10. Go west on 10 and in little over 100 miles you'll be in Quartzsite. You will start seeing the RVs from at least 10 miles out. Welcome to Q! Hope to see you folks soon. Dennis

What about HAVE to stops, for example can we get into Carlsbad Caverns area at this time of the year??

All suggestions gladly accepted and considered.

Thanks.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Appreciate all these hints! Keep em coming!

After OK City, we will really start looking at all this hard hard hard!

Now, it is time to pack em up and roll em outta Joplin, really enjoyed our stop here, cept for Mother Nature's fits. Other wise, was a great stop (got to visit my gg grampa's gravesite, never thought I would! WAHHOOOO)

Please do keep adding to this thread, really! Once Al and I get west of Dallas it is ALL NEW TO US!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dennis has given you good advice Carol... I also love the Benson, AZ area... Gypsy (Sharon MacKay before she married Don) has a place in Benson and is on her way there now from Louisanna. It is a great area to visit Tombstone.... As far as the Dallas area, we love camping at Vineyards Campground in Grapevine but there is one in Denton right off 1-35 also although that might be too close to Oklahoma City for you to stop again...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
There are many things to see around Benson, Kartchner Caverns, Chiracahua Nat. Monument, Tombstone, Bisbee, Fort Huachuca, and the main attraction, US!!!! There are 6 passport parks in Benson.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Carol
8.1al is right about the main attraction, we really enjoyed our visit with Charlie and Nila in Benson this past April.
Ron and Rose
Old 11-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
If you visit Charlie and Nila, you MUST take a pink flamingo. LOL LOL

We are at Organ Pipe until we head to Q January 15.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Hello,
We have stayed at I-10 RV in Benson, AZ. It is an easy dricve to Tomstone for a day trip. Also, Van Horn KOA in Van Horn, AZ is OK with a side trip to the Guadaloupe National Park (sp) Mountains. Carlsbad is not quite in range of Carlsbad for a day trip. These two are reasonably priced and accomodated our big rig well.
Happy travels, LCarter!
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Sorry, Van Horn is not quite a day trip to Carlsbad.
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote