Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
LP regulator information

We had posted some of this a few months ago but this is the final fix. We refer to that red regulator on the remote LP tank. Ours in our 06 3400 would humm/whine when drawing from that tank.We could hear it in the bedroom it was so loud. You can go to http://www.shleggitt.com/
the information page and read all the data on the LP system. It is very informative. The person I spoke to today and a few months ago was...
Ed Lee, Sr Senior Applications Engineer, Marshall gas controls. He designed. the system.

The part number is C6121-#2049, High pressure regulator preset to30psi

The red regulator installed by Keystone is not a Marshall product nor is it recommended by Marshall. The Keystone product is rated at 18psi and is a cheap import made in India. Note that the Marhall regulator is rated at 30psi and is the one the system was designed for. He also said the regulator should not be removed and the system operated without the regulator as it is a safety concern. His phone number is 800-877-2495 ext 2415. The cost of the 30 psi regulator was 39.95 at Camping Connection in Kissemmee, Fl. They had to order it.

Ed is a nice guy willing to talk but he speaks pure Engineer. I am not a Engineer but do have a lowly 2 year Associate Engineer degree and was a ET for 37 years. Worked with engineers for all of those year and learned to understand them.. also have great deal of respect for them. They do tend to get carrried away tho

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By richfaa

They do tend to get carrried away tho
Imagine that!

Thanks for the info on the regulator Rich.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Rich,

I also thank you for the info. I just complained to my dealer about the noise from my regulator. He would not send me a replacement but told me to take the Monty to a dealer for service.

After reading your post I think I'll just bite the bullet and purchase the Marshall regulator even though mine is still under warranty.

Did the engineer that you talked to indicate that the regulator that Keystone installed was a safety issue?
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

They replaced both regulators at the Keystone Service Center on mine. Up until that time, the crummy red regulator never did work. I had to physically switch tanks when the first one was empty.

After they replaced them, the auto switch over works fine, but the crummy red regulator flutters and hums like crazy.

Think I will get the Marshall. Thanks for posting the info!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rich-- Is there any particular song that the red regulator humms????
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Did the engineer that you talked to indicate that the regulator that Keystone installed was a safety issue"

He said that the system was designed for a 30psi regulator..not a 18psi He said it was a safety concern to remove the regulator from the system. The Engineering data on the web site explains why the 30psi is required. He also said that two RV companies use the 18psi regulator
Keystone and Forest River...

Keystone customer service ad the OEM regulator right at hand. I just mentioned 'Red Regulator" and she gave me the part number which made me think I was not the first person who asked for it. I threw it away.. I do not want to have it on file.

Rondo....It is not a lullaby..
Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
I have been following this thread for about a month. As usual, there is all the info. anyone needs (more than needed most of the time, but that is not a "bad thing").
I found that I had a problem with my furnace not working when trying to use LP gas from the passenger side. I passed the info from this forum and the Mfg's webside referenced by RICHFAA. My dealer gained approval from Keystone to replace the 18 PSI regulator with a 30 PSI replacement. My 'furnace' problem is now solved! Thanks for all the info and "being there" when I neeeded help.
We hope to meet several of you at the Spring Rally in Tx next March.
OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, thanks for the info. I sure would like to see ANSI/NFPA 1192 Standards for RVs, but I'm not willing to cough up 35 bucks. There is something I find perplexing about this. I simply can't understand how the 18 PSI regulator creates a safety issue, when on the downstream side of the switchover regulator we have IIRC only 11" water column of pressure. The line with 18PSI is maybe 6'long, while the other is 15' or so (at least twice the volume). Seems to me if one line is unsafe, the other is unsafe, as they both contain propane at low pressure. I'll pass on my judgment until I learn more, but this has an odor to it.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not questioning you. It is at the link you provided in black and white. I just know some engineers like to push their ideas and agendas.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will bet if you spoke to Ed Lee, Sr he could answer that question. I would not be smart enough to understand the answer. I have never won a arguement with a Engineer in my working career. They do, at times, tend to "over Engineer" I always said that if a good engineer was given a blank check to design a Rv. It would weigh 35K, cost 300K, never wear out and we would not be able to figure out how to open the door.
Interesting that Keystone approved the purchase and installation of the 30psi regulator????Hummmmmmm.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, you know, I might just give Ed a call one day. I am actually running without the red regulator. Only problem I have is opening the tank on that side without the OPD shutting the bottle off.

I would also like to get an explanation from Keystone as to why they used the 18PSI regulator if it is unsafe. I did notice one thing on the site you linked to. The setup in the picture has a rubber hose between the 30PSI regulator and the two stage regulator on the curb side. I'm wondering perhaps if the pressure build up from the propane in the line might cause a line burst issue. I merely can't see that issue with the black steel pipe. Seems I've seen one piped with copper somewhere.

Oh well, nothing I'm going to worry about. The propane systems went for years without that red regulator. Seems someone posted at one time that RVIA put it in their codes in 2005. My friend has a 2003 2955; I think I'll take a look at his propane system one day.

Good discussion. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..he did not say the 18psi regulatr was unsafe...he said it was a ssfety concern to operate without a regulator. I will install the 30psi regulator in a couple of days and see if that cures the Hummmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
We had a Marshal main switchover regulator failure due to leftover thread cutting oil in the black crossover pipe according to Ed Lee at Marshall Gas Controls. We also replaced the cheap India made 18PSI regulator on the other side and installed the 30 PSI Marchall regulator which was a bit hard to find. Have not had LPG problems since.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Ordered the Marshall C6121-#2049 today at a local RV dealer parts department, pick it up tomorrow.

That was too easy, thanks again Rich!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Where is this red regulator mounted? I never noticed it.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
BTW.... our last unit was a "04" Big Sky (RK3295). I don't recall seeing a regulator on the side opposite the switch-over valve and 'main' regulator (reduces pressure to 11" W.C.). I never had a problem with the 'over flow shut-off' valve or with the tanks switching automatically.
OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Drew
On the driver's side behind the bottle on ours; at least that's where it used to be.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Rich-- Could the regulator pressure be one of the problems when we go to light the oven in the Monte? It takes forever to get it lit! I know they are a real bear to light but maybe that could be one of the reasons. Inquizative minds want to know!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well Rondo it would take a educated mind to answer that question and I don't have one of those. I have no clue..
Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Hey Rich-- Could the regulator pressure be one of the problems when we go to light the oven in the Monte? It takes forever to get it lit! I know they are a real bear to light but maybe that could be one of the reasons. Inquizative minds want to know!!
I have heard that a common problem with getting the oven pilot lit is that the knob itself sits too deep on the shaft. Some suggest to put a small piece of thin cardboard in the hole of the knob. That way it pushes the shaft farther in before the knob bottoms out on its back flange. I don't know if I've explained it very well, does that make sense?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Drew
On the driver's side behind the bottle on ours; at least that's where it used to be.
On our rig, it's on the passenger's side.

I too have talked to Ed Lee, very knowledgeable and helpful. My problem was that the auto change over did not change color like it should when one tank ran dry and the other started up. Got rid of the old red regulator and put in a C6121 and all is well.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote