Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Which Sat receiver works best? Update!

Hi,

Everytime we have gone out this summer learning and enjoying our new 5vr, I always want to push the envelope and try something new. We have Sat tv (Direct TV) at home and have a spot for the receiver in the trailer. We have a 08 285rls Mountaineer. Some say you have to run the cable direct to the receiver but the book tells me this one is sat ready. Just plug into the cable outlet on the back of the trailer. I have heard it sometimes works and sometimes not. Any real question is, what works best, just a dish on a tri pod (this is what I have now), a VU CUBE, or mounted dish on the roof of the trailer. All have Pro's and Cons. Going to a state park this weekend and want to try it out as there is no cable there and too far for antenna. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Steve

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
This has always worked for us,plus we carry a tripod just in case of tree blockage.

Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Good question, I too have DirecTV;
- Maintain two Dish placement configurations, one by lashing to rear ladder and the other is via tripod as Jack points out, different campsites can introduce obstacles.
- I have configured a wiring/switch circuit to make things easily selectable.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Legally and morally, to use your DirecTV receiver in your RV, you must have an RV waiver. Of course, you can get away with using it there, as long as you don't call DirecTV when you have a problem with it in your RV.

How do I know this? I've been a DirecTV customer for eight years and have been around the block with them on this issue.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Well, I suppose but I'm a weekender so...the receiver goes back in house when RV is home. I have East Coast feed so get to see whats happening at home while on the road.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The ONLY reason I was required to have a waiver was for the DNS (Distant Network Service) if you don't care about network feeds you don't need anything other than a good tripod... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave if your using Direct-Tv, you can just hook to our Slim Line HDTV dish. We have two Direct-Tv Slim Line dishes and leave the one at the Home base. And the other one we take with the 5th wheel. See you guys soon. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The restrictions for DNS (Distant Network Services) is money drive by the satellite companies (From FMCA Magazine) Advertisers want to know that their message is going to the demographics they are paying to reach. Some maneuvering may be necessary to get the CNS feeds. Once you get through all the hoopla, and qualify, for an extra 11.99 a month you can get all the major network stations from East and West coasts.

As for Antennae, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Do you have HDTV? Do you want HDTV? Standard definition TV is simply wiring. HDTV may be complex and required HDMI (Key words MAY BE) and depending on how many receivers you want to wire into.

Here are some links for different vendors that provide satellite antenna:

King Controls

KVH Tracvision

MOTOSAT

TRACKSTAR

Winegard

The above are tyically geard to automatic systems. Remembering that if you want standard definition you only need one LNB, but if you want HDTV you will need at least a dual LNB

I had a King Dome in the 3400RL. It was a simple thing that took me several hours to set up the first time out - all electronic at that. After that it got easier and easier. My problem then became "location," as in trees or other obstructions. What I noticed at the CG's that I had gone to and was blocked by trees, were many RV's that has the portable system on a tripod. The tripod and antenna would be set up anywhere they had access to the open sky, some times at the end of their pull in, or back in. Some have stated that they have both systems, electronic searching and portable.

My future right now is to do some more research to see if I want to go with just a portable system, or invest in a good electronic searh system mounted permanently.

Good luck in your choice.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Thanks for the replies.

I set it up yesterday to see what I needed to do. I put the signal meter in line and set it to the settings from the zip code. AS I adjusted slightly, the signal came way up. Went to tv and nothing. Did this three times and good signal at antenna, nothing in receiver. Even talked to the *^#$ thing and still nothing. Took it down and decided I would take it and try to set it up during my weekend outing. Took the receiver back inside to tv (receiver is HD) and noticed the adapter you have to have in line for the HD receiver. Now I was really talking to the stuff. Hopefully this weekend I will have TV...We'll see
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Ahhh, right HDTV requires B-Band Converter if its an H20/H21 Receiver. I don't take this receiver with me camping...just take one of the other standard receivers.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Update:

Just returned home from the trip and my experiment with my direct tv. Got the compass out and found north, set the tripod up and within a couple minutes, had very nice siganl. It is amazing how much better the system worked with the 'b-band' converter. I only received sd channels as I had an old round dish, but I guess after all I was camping! Made for a wonderful weekend doing little more than vegging.

On another note, I turned on the weather channel and a pop up came on telling me I could get local info by pressing the red button. Never saw this before. pushed it and I had weather for my home zipcode. I had the option to add 2 other zip codes. When I put in the one for the area I was in, wow, 26 degrees. Toasty inside, but wow. As you can tell, I am easily amused. Experimented when I got home and found it is not offered in HD, but when I got to the sd channel for the weather channel, the feature is there. What a nice feature to have when traveling. Got go, need to plan my next trip. Already printing out clips and dropping hints for my Christmas present...a VU Cube!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
So...I too saw the VU Cube and made a reflex comment to the salesman that it sure was neat and "I bet it could grow legs within seconds" to which he started looking for another customer that might be less concerned about maintaining ownership of the VU Cube. My feelings are not that easily hurt so I continued to browse knowing VU Cube was not on my to buy list. I can set up pretty quickly and this gizmo won't see through trees either.