Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Great Delivery Day! One small leak

I read that someone had experienced a leak from a shower to the basement, under the shower. I have the same problem with our one day old 3000RK.

Everything else is very small and cosmetic.

I took a long, hot shower tonight and later notice small water drips into the basement, above the driver side doors of the basement. Not too bad, small drips, no puddles, annoying....

Tomorrow morning I will advise Lazydays and have them correct.....any ideas what to caulk or seal? Seems the shower walls are not sealed very well......any ideas?

Other than the leak......EVERYTHING has been very pleasant and happy!

BTW.....I think Keystone had change the clips on the front mirrored sliding doors. They are much more flexible and black in color.

The HD TV is very nice!

Thanks -

Bill

William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's most likely caused by a loose connection underneath the drain. It's been a very common problem that the nut is not tight enough.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Thanks Orv.....I thought that is what I remembered.....we will be here for four days so they have a great opportunity to correct.....

Thanks again -

Bill
Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Quote:
quote:[i]
Tomorrow morning I will advise Lazydays and have them correct.....any ideas what to caulk or seal? Seems the shower walls are not sealed very well......any ideas?
We've had our Montana about a month. So far, no problems like you describe. However, during the delivery walkthrough, the dealer mentioned that the shower walls were deliberately not sealed to the tub, but merely overlap the tub sides, and cautioned us not to seal them ourselves. Apparently, the sides need to move independently during travel. Sealing them to the tub will cause them to stress and crack. FWIW.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had a similar leak under the shower. Went to two different repair centers before I added my own caulk in the corners of the surround, however, one center said there was too much caulk around drain and recaulked, the next one said too much caulk and put in a new drain but was still leaking. I then caulked in the corners as above and no more leak. I hope yours is as simple as a loose fitting, but don't count on it......Check it close with lots of water before leaving repair center......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Those new black door clips are great. I just saw them today and I'm trying to find them online.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Exav8tr - Mine is a similar problem.....It has got to be in the corners or where the walls and pan meet.....

Mine is definately not at the drain. We have been trying to fix it for two days. It is either at the point where the two pieces of the shower - walls and pan - meet or in a corner.

It is not a leak in the water lines. It is not at the shower drain. It is not the tub itself.

After a shower or just spraying water around the edges and walls - it drips from between the sidewall and floor right above the center of the two basement doors on the ds. That is the lowest point as I am not 100% level.....not much water, maybe an ounce to two.

They caulked around that joint yesterday with almost a tube of silicon. Last night it was still leaking.....

Next is to R/R entire shower and rebuild......maybe after the parts arrive.....I might call Keystone first thing Monday....

She's not going home with us on Monday and we are not happy campers right now.....

Thanks - Bill
Old 08-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I think the answer to your problem has been well explained.

I have a question for you. What is your opinion of Lazy Days? Since the demise of Suncoast RV in Pinellas Park we will have to be using Lazy Days for our Monty work. We have heard many many second hand, third hand and etc stories (which I hate). I need to hear it from someone who has actually dealt with Lazy Days.
If there is one thing I really really hate is when someone starts out with.."I heard from my brother's wife's uncle's best friend's aunt who knows someone that went to Lazy Days and had nothing but problems". This type of handed down info is about as reliable as a politician's campaign promises.
To all others----Please, If you don't have FIRST hand knowledge, in other words if it wasn't you personally, do not respond to this question.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #9
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Since I arrived at Lazydays at 10am on Thursday - I have been very impressed! If you are accustomed to dealing with the average-size dealer, Lazydays will overwhelm you! From check in, delivery team, Service Writer, technicians, Benefits, Insurance, Finance, etc.....It has been a whirlwind four days. Every employee acknowledges you and congratulates you!

Now, have they made me happy and solved my questions and issues? Not 100%. I still have electronics I don't understand, I still have a shower leak, I still have a trim piece over the microwave that has not been fixed, I still have questions and have not found a single person who really knows the Montana. I wonder if they have a specific service writer that specializes in Montanas. Wonder if mine does?

I like to talk to the technicians. They know these units better than anyone. They like the Montana. They know the issues of the past. They seem to be interested in making me happy. Though I have had four techs , one supervisor and one service writer that have not fixed my leak. They did fix the sticking front door latch, will replace the door weather stipping tomorrow, fixed the phone jack, several of the locks, cleaned the TV and ceiling fan light, missing 50A plug ring, kitchen plumbing leaks......

We'll see......Sad that a $60,000 Montana comes out of the factory with these issues....Makes me wonder if they ever tested anything before it left Indiana? Then went through Lazydays PDI and they didn't spot these problems.

One PS - My spare Goodyear Marathon is dated 1708. The four Goodyear Marathons on the ground are all dated 4807. So my 'new' tires are already 8.5 months old. I have asked that they contact Keystone warranty to see if I can get 08 tires all around on my 2009 Montana....tire pressure is all running 75#.

We have stayed four nights for free, received complimentary use of the Crown club with cooked to order meals, happy hour. Received a nice package from our salesman - cups, mugs, hats, bag. Full propane tanks. Camping World one year extention and the Thousand Trails 90-day trial.....then its about $500 yr.

Glenn - if you have specific questions send me an e-mail.

Bill
Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
LeonardW
Established Member

M.O.C. #7960
Bill,
We also have a 3000RK and had a shower drain leak into the basement. The hole in the fiberglass was cut a little larger than it should have been and allowed the drain to move if you stepped on it. The plumbers puddy used by the OEM would work it way out. I removed the drain and went to Home Depot and bought two (2) rubber gaskets the exact size of the drain and installed the drain with one under the drain flange and one on the drain shaft. I had my wife hold the drain from the top to keep it from turning while I was in the basement installing the seal and retaining nut. To gain access I removed the box with the TV and electrical outlet. So far the shower leak has not returned. The gasket installed under the flange of the drain causes it to set a little high ("proud") in the shower, but the wife would rather have that than the plumbers puddy that looks dirty after it ages a little,
Leonard
LeonardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Thanks Leonard -

I wish mine was leaking at the drain. The drain is dry!

Mine is leaking somewhere around the seam of the lower pan and the shower walls. It is about 4-6 inches higher than the drain and dripping out of the seam between the walls and the floor above the double doors on the driver side.

Thanks much - Bill

Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We had a leak showing itself when we started using our unit right after we bought it. However, ours was used. They did fix the leak and I think they replaced the drain although I know it was at least re-sealed. That seemed to have fixed the problem I haven't noticed any leaks in the basement since.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Mine is still at Lazydays and they WILL have it fixed by Friday when we return.....shower is still leaking....

And last night I popped the inline fuse for the landing gear and remote control panel. Hard buggar to find. The tech found it this morning.....

Tech says, "What year is this?"
I say, "2009."
Tech says, "Oh boy, every year they change 'em a litte!"

Then he proceeds to spend the next 20 minutes looking for the inline 30A fuse. Finds it replaces it with a 40A and says he will add a 30A reset fuse when he gets it to the shop. BTW, the fuse control the landing gear, rear stab and remote panel (not sure about slides).

Bill
Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
My new 3000RK also had a shower leak. I disconnected the fitting from underneath, reconnected and the leak has stopped.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
My 08 new 3000RK also leaked around the shower after a couple of weeks. Loose fitting and inadequate caulking. Removed and recaulked with plumbers putty and no more leaks.
Our landing jack motor was blowing fuses too. I replaced the fuse with a breaker. CW replaced jack motor (wired it back wards too). It operates very smoothly and quietly now. IF you happen to hit the retract and then the extend button without waiting a couple of seconds it will blow the fuse. Ya, I did it a few times.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
It is striking how many model 3000RK's are having this problem in this thread. Do you think it has something to do with the model?
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Phil and I had the same problem. To fix, I caulked where the glass and frame corners meet. If you turn the shower on and drect it to the corner nearest the bed, then go outside and look at the aluminum frame rail above the barn doors, I bet you will see water. Also, you can remove the access cover closest to the standing closet and check for water.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had that leak also and did exactly what Michael did. Now - high and dry!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
As you face the shower stall the right hand corner has a built in leak. I had to remove the enclourse to fix it. The upturn on the shower base does not go far enough to the right. A small amount of caulk in that corner should stop it. I was able to remove one of the fastners and lift the corner of the side wall and caulk the void.
Good Luck

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blamb

It is striking how many model 3000RK's are having this problem in this thread. Do you think it has something to do with the model?
could be. we had a leak in our 07 3000RK that the factory fixed during the fall rally but like others, ours was around the drain and not the corner....FWIW.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote