Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Pet Insurance

Does anyone have pet insurance? Is it worth getting? How is it to use when you travel?
Myrna

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
We are also interested to know about Pet Insurance? Anyone with info on this topic?
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
In the last two weeks, our two dogs have been thru several exams, x-rays, ultrasounds, blood tests, a biopsy and an urinalysis. Those tests aren't cheap and the vet requires payment at the time of service.

I think pet insurance is definitely something to look into. We should have grabbed the Pet Insurance brochures off the counter at the Vet's a long time ago. Hopefully the dogs get over whatever was plaguing them and can be insurable for the future.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imp

Does anyone have pet insurance? Is it worth getting? How is it to use when you travel?
Myrna
We keep track of our kennel costs and have run the numbers using a couple different years and our costs for different aged dogs and have found pet insurance never works for us. I'd be interested in anyones experience that has proven otherwise and who the carrier and what policy was. thanks
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Pet Insurance is just like other insurance...it cost too much until you need it.
We currently have VPI Pet insurance. www.my.petinsurance.com. We have had it on Cuddles our Bichon since she was a pup - going on 5 years old now. I believe we pay about $20 something a month and so far insurance reimbursement have not even come close to plan payments.
It pay percentages of wellness shots, teeth cleaning and we have used it on some ear infections. They have been pretty good about paying when we file.
One thing to remember when you are traveling, most Vets want their money up front and more than likely will not file the insurance claim for you. You pay the bill and submit to VPI for them to reimburse you and not the Vet.
I think this is something that you would have to weigh in the balances - in that is it worth the money for piece of mind in the event of an emergency. One thing you might consider instead is a contengency fund. Trying putting back some money under the mattress a little bit each month for pet vet bills. If you are willing to put the same amount in the cookie jar as you are willing to shell out to the insurance company it wouldn't take long to build that fund up to handle emergency pet bills. The other thing to consider is what is the current age and health condition of your pet now. This could effect your premiums. So it is a gamble, put one other thing, that money you put under the mattress is yours and not the insurance company if you don't use it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks indy roadrunner. It is good to hear another opinion.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Indy Roadrunner-
Thank You, you offered great input and good advice....gave us a lot to think about. (I'll just have to ignore those lumps in my mattress..wink..)
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well, I think I would sleep better if I had more lumps in my mattress.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Not sure I remember this correctly, but think I do, when my vet offered me insurance he stated that it would not cover pre-existing conditions. So, if you don't get it when a dog is younger and healthy, and you try to wait till something nasty comes along, you probably will not be covered for those "nasties". (No we don't have the kids covered. GULP)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote