Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
pandew
Established Member

M.O.C. #4408
receiver and surround sound quality

I have a Quest-QR2000 DVD player/receiver in my new Montana. 4 out of the 5 speakers have a fairly loud hissing noise when I turn on the DVD mode. I had to go back to the dealer a second time before I got a manual for it and I have a feeling now that they don't want to give you any information about the product. The manual itself gives virtually no information about manufacturer of the system. I have put the model of the unit in a web search and didn't have one item come up. How do others feel about the quality of there receiver system and surround sound?

pandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
You will get a lot of negative replies about this system. Most think it to be basically a piece of junk and replace it with another system of their choice. I do not full time so the system is not of great importance to me.

Mine also had a hiss in it on the slide speakers when it was new and I thought the receiver to be defective and made the dealer replace it and results were no better with a new receiver. I reversed the wires on the front speakers with the speakers on the slide and the hiss went away.

On some of the units if it is not working in full surround sound there is a switch in the setup menu that should make it work. The switch on mine did not work, but I have read some others comment here on the forum that theirs did work and were pleased with the system. I don't remember exactly what the procedure is but it is listed in your manual. I will see if I can find it and post another reply.

I also have searched for information about the manufacturer and have found none.
Lots of luck, hope you can make it work.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I also have had problemswith my quest unit. I called them (quest) and told them about it, and was told that since it was 1 1/2 mos out of warranty they were no lnger responsible. IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK! Phyllis and I will be full timing in about 4 months or less, and I am going to move my JVC system out to the aprtment , tuner, devd/vcr/ surround sound and all. The best thing you can do is replace it with something of quality.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Quest is junk, changed our out with a model we got at Sears. Put the Quest in the garage where it does not matter about the sound quality.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am upgrading my quest system with a Bose system this spring. Buying the new system as my xmas gift to myself. Also buying a Bose system for the bedroom tv as well. Figure if I am going to spend this much time in the coach might as well have a quality system to listen to.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Replaced ours with a Sony. Sold the piece of junk at garage sale for $10.00. We now have fabulous sound. Didn't replace all the speakers and still sounds good.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have a new Quest 3000 to replace our Quest 2000. Not sure what the technical differnces are, but they are physically different on the outside. When I get around to installing it, I'll report on it. (It will be a few months because our trailer is in storage at present). Like others have said, the Quest name is not widely known, they have an address in Elkhart, IN. I suspect that they are generic units that are sold under a lot of low end brand names.

This is one area where I think Keystone are making a big mistake, putting a low end system in a Montana just cheapens the whole unit. Most new RVers don't know a lot about RV's but they do know names like Sony, and Panasonic. They will conclude that if it has a good name brand sound system, then the whole unit must be of similar quality. (Anyone listening at Keystone?)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I agree with you. I just did a search and found the thread, from March, where kozzy45 got a $195 check from Montana for sending his unit back: http://montanaadministrator.forumco....rms~+quest.asp

If that piece of junk costs them $195, they can definitely go with something halfway decent. A decent low end system at retail goes for under $250, I'm sure that with the volume that Montana buys at, they could get one of those systems for around the same cost as the Quest unit.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Everyone will tell you that the Quest is a piece of JUNK. Why Keystone allows their name to be associated with it I will never know. But just replace it with something you desire. It is just so much easier....
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:02 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I made a note to myself to request that the sound system is not installed when I order the unit.Speakers, wiring Ok but the quest unit itself....No...I will buy my own,,And every camper we have had has had a cheapo sound system installed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:11 AM   #11
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Montana Sky, what Bose systems are you considering? I don't have one for the Montana but I own ten Bose systems, from two professional performing systems to my truck and in between. Good stuff but definitely some sonic difference depending upon which system is used.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I agree with the other "non-fulltimers" it works for me as is for now, but if I were going to use it constantly I would immediately replace it and make sure I can also use my iPod with the replacement system. Since I have a few years to worry about that I'll settle for now.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote