Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
The tripod you use for DirecTV is not near heavy enough for DirecWay. You need the contractor grade tripod. Around $60-$70 at Home Depot. And as I said before you also need the adapter on the tripod to set the dish in. The DirecWay dish is a lot larger and heavier than DirecTV and the feed horn is long and very heavy. If you open up the manual on the dustyfoot site, you will get an idea of how this is set up.
Happy trails....................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I saw a directway set up yesterday and I see what you mean.Still say the for the @900$ difference can adapt the directway.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #23
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We live in Canada, and use a Canadian satellite 2-way internet service called "Anikast". This is the same service as that provided in the U.S. under the name "Wild Blue". The 29" round dish is quite a bit smaller than Direcway and looks very easily transported, although they say you can't.

Technically these are Ka band "spot beam" services. I do not have the techical knowledge to know if this type of service is portable in the same way that Direcway is. Does anyone out there have any expertise in this field?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well it is not really new.NASA Glenn Research center here in Cleveland, Ohio has been working on it for years.The system operats in the KA-band frequency and "spot beam" means the beam (signal) can be directed to a smaller area. It is a different system that Directtv/directway but, I think, much better..It is to complicated to explain..if interested go the NASA web site and work your way to the Glenn reserch center or do a google on ka-band spot beam.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #25
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich,
I agree about the $900. Only drawback will be support because believe me you will not have it from DirecWay unless they move it everytime. Since we will have to buy piece by piece to make ours portable, I've done a price list. The tripod at Home Depot is $69 and I think a special order. Figure we will buy the OPI Signal and Align-A Site from Dusty for a total of $260. Setting this up is different than setting up DirecTV dish. We've got the cable. We will need to get the bracket made and I have no idea how much this will cost. The water container and bungee cord is a no brainer. Sharon and Bob use a weight on theirs that you put on a barbell and we like that idea since it won't take up much room. Add to that a few screws and bolts and you have everything except the video.
Happy trails...................
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Is it possible to buy the Direcway system, get it installed at your house and then find an adaptor to put it on a tripod? Direcway doesn't want to make it a mobile system for you anyway so it seems like you need to have it installed at home first.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 AM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Yes, that's basically what we are doing. Since we were parked when we got ours, the CG let us put a post in the ground and DirecWay installed it. We move it when we came home and when I called them, they were nasty. I actully thought I was going to be arrested. We put a pole in our back yard (in cement) since it will be a while before we full time. The adapter to fit on the tripod is probably the only thing that you can't just buy. Sharon and Bob had one made and our son-in-law will make ours. A welding shop should be able to do this.
Happy trails................
Old 11-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The directway system will the the last resort for us if nothing else works..WIFI, Cell Phone, Etc..We DO need to have fairly regular internet access and when we snowbirding or winter texas'ing it will be a must have. Keep us advised as to how your system works Sue...oh yes..Directtv and directway use a lot of scare tactics and intimidation but it is your system..you paid for it and can do whatever you want with it.They don't want you to move it because they want to sell you another system.They don't want you to take the directtv receiver out of your house because they want to sell you another receiver and charge your another 4.99.Now if you are leasing the equipment that is another story....
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
For some reason, I don't think you can get an satellite internet set up in the dome type of units that are installed on the top of the 5ver? Or am I wrong?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sure doesn't sound like a good way to run a business, does it?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Competition does wonders changing companies attitudes... Sounds like Directv needs a lot more competition.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave,
Although I have seen one DirecWay on top of a Motor Home, I really think this unit is way to heavy to put on the roof and I have never seen the dome type. DirecTV had not been a problem for us to deal with just DirecWay that is run by Hughes Electronic. That's who you pay. At the time we bought this I was still working and did a lot of work at home. I needed to be on the internet a lot (I was the IT and Fiscal Director for a school district). We could not get high speed where we were any other way. While Verizon Wireless (cell phone) is good, if it is not evening or weekend, you can go through your alloted minutes real fast.
Happy trails...................
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 AM   #33
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Direcway has it's first competitor, Starband, so maybe things will change. I read about it on Open Roads Forum (also known as Trailer Life forum, Motorhome forum, etc.) They allow you to "legally" set up your own dish because they send you through some training. I read where Direcway doesn't want you to set up your dish because it takes work away from their technicians and it's not really illegal at the low frequency that they use. That's just what I've read. They're nicer to work with, from most reports. They're pro mobile.

I also read that Verizon is not offering a connection through Quick to Net any more. Instead they have a nice Broadband card that costs $100 per month with a $25 installation fee. Is that the charge for sliding it into your computer? And, of course, the coverage is worthless for anyone camping in the remote areas. I think Verizon is getting too stuck on itself and thinks it can sell something for whatever price it chooses and just drop the free offer of Quick to Net.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info, Sue. I may just look at a satellite TV dome install and go with WiFi for internet. WiFi is growing so fast that within 2 to 5 years, it may make DirecWay obsolete.

Starband may be worth checking into, though. Thanks, Judy.

New thing coming... Apple just started a service that allows you to download episodes from some of ABC's prime shows (Lost, Desperate Housewifes, and some others) for $1.99 an episode (You can also download music videos, which I think Apple believed would be big for teens with iPods. You can even download all of the season's episodes to date for a slight discount. I just read last week where NBC and CBS are now planning a similar service for $0.99. You need the lastest versions of iTunes and QuickTime (both free) for the Apple/ABC setup. You can even download an episode of Desperate Housewives and watch it on your iPod.

This is better than coming home and finding out your VCR didn't record your show. If this catches on... and I think it will... I can see FTers (or not) downloading episodes (or subscriptions?) from these 3 networks, that you can download over WiFi at whatever CG you happen to be at. Then watching them at your convenience (commercial free, BTW ~ Apple, anyway) on your computer. Or, if you are really into this, you can connect your laptop to your TV and run it through your surround system.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 AM   #35
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Judy: I highly doubt that Direcway is concerned about their installers. They seem to have no problem collecting their 59.99 a month from thousands of us who are moving their dishes all over the country. I believe they just don't want to be bothered by thousands of us requiring technical support when the sattelite can't be found. They offer us no training, but Starband does. There are plenty of training manuals out there on the web, and everyone is that has them up on web pages are offering them free.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #36
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Judy,
Starband has been around for a few years. So DirecWay has had some competition for a while. As far as DirecWay NOT wanting you to move the dish that is correct. But as Firetruckerwife pointed out there are thousands of us who do exactly that. And I would agree that the problem is not one of work for their minions but rather they simply don't want to be swamped with calls from folks asking them where they hid the satellite!
I've had to call a couple of times with questions and I understand completely why they have the policy they have! That's why going thru a dealer is so nice. I just call them. They have been super supportive! Could not ask for better service.

And I have to say that DirecTV has also been very good to deal with. A couple of times the box we take with us in the trailer would not work. A quick call to service and we were back on the air! Very good to deal with.

Unless Verizon has changed the process significantly the $100 per month is much higher than what I have. I think you can get the $100 level if you want the very high speed level but I have the slightly slower speed process. I don't know about the $25 installation fee is all about. Never heard of it. You are right about the service in remote areas. But I've been pleasantly surprised at the extensive service they have. And not just voice but data as well. Of course I've been very disappointed a few times that I expected service but had none! And it's too bad they have discontinued their Quick 2 service. While not very fast at least it was a service that got you the basics.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #37
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dennis makes a very good point about service support. If we had to do it all over again and if I had known about Dusty Foot at the time, we probably would have gone that way. The difference in the money, we have spent in time taking this system apart (with no directions) and putting it back together (thanks to DustyFoot's manual and Dennis). We will still have some work to do to get mobile.
Happy trails.................
Old 11-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dennis and Sharon, I was just repeating what I had read on the 'net. I have not dealt with them myself. Hanging up on a customer is just so radical, in my opinion.

Dennis, where did you get the arm that holds both Direcway and DirecTV on the same arm? It would be a lot simpler than dealing with two satellite dishes although I have seen both of them set up at one rig.