Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
New Montana website

Looks nice. But they still don't have the 3380 floor plan yet. They have the link so it must be forthcoming. Neat graphics on some of their pages.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:01 AM   #2
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
I'm looking for a 3380. My dealer says it is not on his order list and thinks the website listing on the "specs" is a mistake. Hope it is not and comes to production again. It might keep me from ordering a Cedar Creek 34CKTS. Does anyone have any info on this?
Best Regards, Ted
Montana_4397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
They still have the 3380 listed on their new revised website, though. But when you click the link for the Floor Plan, it is blank. Before they revised their site, they didn't even have a link, so it seems they are getting ready to add it on the site.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
Dave, for your info. I emailed Montana and surprisingly got a reply:

Mr. Lynn,

We discontinued the Montana 3380rl in the middle of the 2005 model year and have not built this floor plan since November 2004.

Have you looked at the 2980rl or 3400rl? The 2980rl is a small, triple slide rear lounge with a kitchen island. The 3400rl is a larger, quad slide, rear lounge with a kitchen island and our master bedroom/bathroom suite. The 3400rl is our most popular floor plan because it offers the most kitchen and bedroom storage, a full sized desk, full sized washer/dryer prep compartment, and access to the refrigerator when the slides are closed.

Please contact me at this e-mail address or call me at 574.535.2124 if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Mark Krol

District Sales Manager
Montana and Mountaineer

My reply to Mark:

I've looked at all your plans. We've leaned towards the 3295, but find the Cedar Creek 34CKTS so much better. The 3400 is nice but why do it with 4 slides when 3 will do as good or better? Cedar Creek sure looks good. Thanks, Ted

I don't think we will see a 3380. We've not made our mind up to go with a 3400 yet.

Best Regards, Ted

Old 11-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ted! I've (my wife, actually) decided on the 3400RL. The 3670 is almost identical except for the kitchen counter. Just curious, though, Ted... what did you find in the Cedar Creek that pulled you away from the Montana?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
I'm not sure I'm gone. We will drop our order the first week of January. The Pluses that I see on the CC Standard GelCoat (and with Montana they don't do the compartment doors), 750 lbs lighter, better carpet. trailair pin and centerpoint suspension available and an automatic awning is available and on the minus side, the refrigerator is not accessable without putting a slide out some, W/D compartment is better located on the Montana along with better storage in the Montana. Both need an option for better axles, but neither offers. My dealers are both good, but the Cedar Creek is 120 miles further away.

I saw a post on another forum where someone felt that the only people that benifited from being the best selling fifth wheel were the stock holders. I think it says a lot for Montana for them to be the best seller. They have to be doing something right. I'm just not sure it's right for us yet.

I would go Holiday Rambler or Sunnybrook, but the interior decor is depressing. Sort of like walking into an "old folks home". I'm old enough for one, but not ready. Just my thoughts. We are still looking and deciding. We do like the 3400 and the 3295.

Best Regards, Ted
Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There is some confusion about the 3380RL. We have seen some people who were sold the 3380 as a 2006 model. Since we are owners of a 3380RL 2004 model, we were curious about the availability of this model in 2006. Now Keystone is saying that they haven't made any 2005 or 2006 3380's. What's up with that?

It is a very nice and liveable floorplan. We have the selective slide valves (whatever they're called) and can access our kitchen easily by opening the dining room slide just a few inches. We can even get to the LR and entertainment center. It is also lighter because it has only three slides.

Maybe Keystone needs to improve their communication since the 3380RL is listed on their Spec sheet for 2006!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Actually, Ted... I secretly have a 2006 Carriage/Royals International 38' Monarch ($167K base price) and a customized HDT International sleeper w/ it own built in kitchen and bed ~ for day trips. We also have a full time cleaning lady and maintenance man that follow us around in their own TT. The maintenance man doubles as a driver, if I need that, and Cheryl has the cleaning lady do all of our grocery shopping as needed. The best thing is that I don't need to ever put on rubber gloves.

I let these people here think that I'm getting a 3400 to pull with my 2500 HD D/A just so they let me talk to them on the MOC forum, which I consider the best source of RVing info on the web.

Whoa... where am I??? Man... when that pain medication wears off it's hard to get your bearings... what did I say??? What thread am I on???
Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

I have made several comments on a similar topic on the board that discusses the new Montana website. In short, even the factory has told me that the although the site has in fact had a face lift, most of the information is the same "out of date" information. The trailer specs are still last years, the brochure is still for 2005, and there is no information about the new color decor scheme.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Montana advocate - we have just purchased a new 3400RL, but it sure is a downer to not know what you're really going to get until you get it - and to HOPE it will be what you want.

By the way, we also looked at Cedar Creek, but found many of the same types of problems. We were ready to purchase the 37CKQS over the 3400RL - in part because the UVW listed in the brochure and on the trailer label was 11335#. A week later we learned that Forest River was being sued by a customer whose new trailer weighed in at over 12900# - talk about a shock! They have now changed their web site to show the UVW at 12810#. It was also our opinion that the fit and finish of the CC was not as good as for the Montana - Just our opinion.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, if the specs for 2006 are really 2005, where did they get all those "off the wall" different numbers for 2006? The 3400, for instance, show radical differences between 2005 and 2006. They aren't the same. They can't say that those are just 2005 numbers that haven't been updated... unless these 2006 numbers are late 2005 changes made after they published the original 2005 figures.

I agree, Rick, a lot of people use those numbers to make decisions on floor plans. They will start putting the brakes on consumer buying as people become hesitant, unsure as to GVWR, pin weights, carrying capacities, etc. This can't be a good strategy to increase sales. Hopefully they are pushing to get these specs published ASAP.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Dave,

The early 2005 specs are those shown in the 2005 spec information on the Montana website. Keystone then changed the location of the furnance, placed the bedroom tv on the front wall rather than the side wall, turned the potty to face the opposite direction and made a few other changes in the mid 2005 year. According to Keystone, these are the specs that are actually shown for the 2006 model year - but they actually reflect the last half of the 2005 year.

Other changes were then made for the beginning of the 2006 year, and Montana published a 2006 brochure this past September. The factory told me this brochure information is the latest - which lists the 3400RL as 11,710# with a hitch weight of 2165#. The website info for the 3400 and a number of other models for 2006 production are still not accurate on the web site.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hope they have this all squared around by next May.

Maybe I'll just go out a get a half ton pickup for a tv. Then I will be absolutely certain, without a doubt, and be able to drive down the road and over mountains with the greatest confidence... that I am overweight. It's the uncertainty that will get ya! Why fool around with losing sleep wondering if you are or aren't rated for your pin weight is as published. Be sure... 1/2 ton tv... daylight driving only at 45 mph max... dry roads with no more than 1% grade. Also an extra savings account to purchase transmissions as needed. Oh... and have any and all loved ones follow you (at a safe distance) in another vehicle (maybe with their flashers on).

Also, if you get bored, post your brilliant concept on some OTHER forums just to drive some of those "weight police" boys absolutely crazy... I have this vision of beating on a hornets nest with a stick.

Wow, I am amazed at my knowledge of towing fifth wheels that I have gained over the past few months. I'm getting all these great ideas now. I know... you guys all want to know when I'm going to be on the road... and which way I'm going...right?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:01 AM   #13
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Dave,

I don't understand the meaning of your response. Perhaps you posted in the wrong discussion thread. Or perhaps you enjoy the thrill of putting your money on the pig in a poke.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry, Rick. When my brain is running, I have to be careful of opening my mouth because some of that stuff falls out.

The weights have a great variance on the website and I guess I wouldn't mind 5 to 10 lbs difference, but it seems to be a lot more than that. I'm wondering how we can trust any of the numbers. We are buying next May, so hopefully, they will have some solid, reliable numbers.

Dave
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The only way to know for sure what the weight of the trailer is to weigh it. As I understand the way the manufacturer gets the numbers they post is by averaging. I'm not sure just how they arrive at the average but assume it is by weighing selected rigs of the same model.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I guess I'm getting all wound up about nothing, really. My tv is going to be a 2500HD D/A 4x4 CC SB regardless of the pin weight, anyway. Unless something strange happens, and the pin weight jumps 700 lbs to 800 lbs... and the dry weight jumps up to 15K, it's going to be totally irrelevant. What the HECK was I wasting time fretting about that for! I've been blaming these types of episodes on my pain meds. Maybe I just have admit I might not be quite as smart as I've been telling my wife I am.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #17
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I'm with you Dave. There are a lot of other web sites where you post what you pull and what kind of truck you have and you get eaten alive. The fact is there are a lot of us who are probably a little overweight. I'm the first to admit it. But I still drive around and am not any more of a risk than the next guy. Not all of us want great big MDT to pull our RV's. Some do and thats ok also. But for what I pull and the amount of miles I pull something my truck does a fine job and has gotten us there and back safely so far.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree Ron. If you are aware of your weights and tow with that awareness, I believe you will have safe journeys. If you are a little over, be aware of it and drive accordingly. Seems like a good plan.

I'm up late watching this wind storm come into Michigan (as well as the rest of the upper midwest). I'm a weather nut and these once in a decade events fascinate me (of course I'm a high school earth science teacher, also). I think I'm going to wish I had a generator by this time tomorrow... 40 mph sustained with 60+ mph gusts through this entire region for a 6 to 12 hr time period. If I had my Monty, I'd just move into it... as long as it was away from trees, and blocked from the wind by hills.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #19
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
If it makes anyone feel better we traded in our Cedar Creek for our Montana. We had a 36RKTS that spent as much time at the dealer as it spent on the road. It went back to the factory and came back better but not right. The dealer that we bought our Monty from had just dropped his Cedar Creek franchise because his service department could not keep up with all of the problems that the coaches had. The Monty has been almost trouble free. I'll NEVER buy another Forest River product again.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Tollmann,
I'll NEVER buy another Forest River product again.
Tom, did you post a similar comment on another forum? I just got Deja Vu. Word for word. A couple weeks ago? If not, there are least TWO people out there who think that there may be other 5vers that could be worse than Keystone products. Just when you thought all the other 5ver mfrs were perfect!