Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2005, 03:30 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It's a cost vs benefits thing..It is 1385 option MSVRP. There is a definite advantage of Dual pane windows here in our home in Northern Ohio, However we will Not be in Northern Ohio or, Hopefully where it will be hot enough or cold enough to justify the expense.It is a matter of personal choice and need... With us it's the ..that's why the camper has wheels thing...We have many kids and grandkids here in Northern ohio and we will be here when the weather is just right...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #22
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Another option is the 3M Window Insulation Film. You install it over the window by laying down a double stick tape usually and then tighten the film up with a hair dryer. This gives you the dual pane essentially because the film traps an air space between itself and the window. If installed correctly you can't see that there's any film there except for the tape around the outside and that's usually not very visable. I've used this in my stick home also and it works.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our single pane windows sure radiate a lot of cold in the winter. We have to use aftermarket film to cover them to keep the cold from getting in and the heat from getting out (yes, I understand heat and the absence of heat but am describing how it feels).

If we were to order a Montana again it would beyond a doubt have the dual pane windows. Doug says he is almost sorry he didn't get them but we are *very* sorry we didn't order them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #24
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just sold my Okanagan Camper to the first person who looked at it, reason being it had thermo pane windows. The Montana I have an offer on has double pane windows and as I will use the rig up in northern Alberta once in a while, I think they are worth it and you might get your money back down the road in a higher resale price.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #25
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We are looking at a 07 3650RK, this topic has been idle for about a year now, need some new comments. After reading what is here, living in colorado year round I am for the dual glass tired of using plastic.Is the product any better than last posted. comments please.

Bob & Lee
U.S.ARMY(Retired)Full time since 2 January 2004
2004 3685FL 1997 F250HD,460, Ext Cab,Auto,4X4
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I can remember sitting on the recliner in our previous TT, a Keystone Sprinter in Albuquerque, feeling the cold coming off the side window, I told Sue, the next RV we get WILL have the insulated glass.
When in the RGV we had heat with the same discomfort.
Just compare the insulating qualities of both glass types.
But it is certainly up the the individual, our vote is for insulating glass. As for the screen, that was a puzzler, but the screens from the Keystone Sprinter fit the emergency window in the bedroom, maybe the desk area as well.
You can order them from your dealer.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #27
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
After using my unit in northern Alberta with temps as low as 28F. I am happy that I have dual panes. I could sit next to the windows with a tee shirt on and feel no chill at all. I just hope they last for quite a few years before the seals leak.
Mine are still tinted but not as dark as single pane. Still very private in daylight.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #28
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Bob,

We've been out in our Montana since March 2006. Let me assure you that when we trade, the new FW will have dual pane windows. I have sat in this recliner so many evenings in a sweat shirt or a blanket over my left shoulder because the cold is coming through the window.
When we bought this fiver, we were rookies. Had no experience at all. When we trade, there will be several things on our list of necessities. Dual pane windows will be one of those things.

Virgil & Jo Allmond
1997 F250HD 4X4 Crewcab Shortbox 7.3 PSD, 216,000+miles
Manual, Superchip, K&N aircharger, Pyrometer,
5" Exhaust,SuperGlide 16K,Honda EU2000i,

STICK HOUSE IS IN Suches, GA

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN White Horse, YT, Canada

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Ever wonder why a child can't read a Bible in school but can in prison?
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #29
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Don--do you really run around in your Monty in winter wearing only a tee shirt? Are you also one of those guys who joins polar bear clubs so you can go jump in the freezing lake in the wintertime? LOL!!!!! And as for your comment about the tinted windows giving you privacy, just what are you trying to keep private????? LOL!!!!

Sorry for pulling your leg, but you gave me goosebumps just imagining you there in a tee shirt in winter. But glad you have your dual pane windows to protect you when you act like that!!!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #30
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
David, thanks for the chuckle, 28F was just spring weather in northern Alberta. I am enjoying your extensive research on your TV and Montana and I hope my posts don't give the impression that only my opinion counts. My 55 years on the planet has taught me that it would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same things. Variety truly is the spice of life and I think you guys are going to really enjoy your new Montana and whatever TV you end up with. Another option you may want to consider is a pre owned V10. Crazy high gas prices have made the V10 very hard to sell and you can pick them up real cheap. They are no worse on fuel than most V8 trucks and they are a neat engine with their smooth quiet manners. My big V10 is a real sweet big boned gal where my diesel trucks were more like red neck guys with sweat stained shirts and a bad case of BO. I would rather spend my time with a gal like my big "Babe" than any smelly redneck.

I just got back from the jar store and I took Babe because I was missing her. I drive our 02 Honda Accord back and forth to work because gas is now 4.38 per US gal now. It is such a boring car compared to a big tough 4x4 Ford Crew Cab Long Box and today, the guys were calling me a wooz for driving the Honda. Oh well, the world is changing and I am going to use Babe for what she was built to do, pull my Montana, and she does me proud when she does that. Take care.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Get the dual pane windows. Period. The insulation against the heat and sound so far in our 3400 w/ dual panes have been nothing short of amazing. Better than some houses I have been in - on both issues. 115 degree heat index outside - only needed one A/C (and had to turn that down once) and the glass on the inside was actually cool in that heat (not in direct sunlight). Unbelievable sound insulation for a camper OR a house. Well worth the extra $$$ and the extra weight. I am sure the cold insulation will make running around in your Montana in the middle of the winter with a T-shirt and shorts a VERY believable scenario.

Get the dual panes... seriously.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #32
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976

I agree with Dave,
Our 2980RL purchased in Canada, seems to come with all options,
including dual pane windows, It is easy to control heat inside, Summer & Winter.
Also very sound proof when we listen to the surround sound late at night.
( I've gone outside and shut the door, could not hear a thing ).
Or parked close to a freeway..... still quiet inside the unit.
I think they are worth the money spent.

J&D

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/global/stations/71892.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, British Columbia Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If your camping, traveling and living style justifies that you need the dual pane windows then indeed you have to have them. Example..our traveling after October of this year will be to climates where it will not be to hot or to cold.We will now have the choice.. of where we park the camper. That is by design. For us it would not be worth the expense and extra weight for the few times the dual panes may be useful. On the other hand the W/D will be, to us a necessity, something that our traveling style says we have got to have. Examine your individual needs..make sure that when you purchase a option you are going to use it on a regular bassis and that you really need it. We have dual panes on our home here in Northern, Ohio.We do not have them on the camper. The camper sets right alongside the house.A couple of weeks ago when the temps were in the hi 90's we did a little test. I shot the temp in the house a couple of inches from the dual panes (IR guage)
Then shot the temp in the camper, Shades down, same distance from the window.All test conditions. Temp, etc.. the same... The result... No difference..try it yourself..see what you come up with.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #34
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich--I agree entirely that it is a matter of personal choice that should include one's particular preferences and usage plans. I likewise hope to be able to go someplace warm in the wintertime and cool (or at least somewhat cooler than Virginia) in the summer. Plus, as is probably becoming apparent, I'm nutty on the issue of weight. So my own personal wants and needs probably rule out dual pane windows for me. Certainly understand how my northern brethern reach a different conclusion based on their own situations.

May everyone enjoy their personal decisions!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 08-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Despite my earlier statement that our next Montana would have the dual panes, I passed on them for this next one. I'm not sure whether that was a good decision or not. We run heavy and I wanted the high gloss so probably it's best for us that we not have them despite spending Nov/Dec is frigid weather in Kansas City. I'll have to cover the windows with the 3M (or other brand) film again this winter. That gives us additional insulation from the cold and works quite well. It would be nice not to have to do that, though.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #36
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
So David, what is different about the issue of weight? lol........sorry I couldn't resist

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #37
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I'll have to agree with the previous post. I've read several post on another website about dual pane windows, and many folks if needed, they use 3M insulation and remove it in the spring. They just put the removable tape/frame on the outside frame of all the windows and attach plastic to it....and they swear by it. If I'm still in Ohio this winter that's exactly what i'll be doing. The cost of dual pane windows was not a factor for me when I decided not to get them, it was because of the weight since the model I have doesn't have a large carrying capacity. If it did I would have gotten them just because I could I figure if it's an option that I could possibly use, I rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it. I plan to go back through all my cabinets this weekend and get rid of anything I have used this summer. Less weight less strain on the tow vehicle and trailer axles etc. Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #38
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We don't have the dual panes and since we don't plan on spending time in heat or cold, don't miss them. However, for those thinking about buying a Montana, I would like to clarify the noise thing. If all the vents are closed (ours never are) the inside of the Montana is very much isolated to outside noise. We had neighbors next to us at Flagstaff and with only the bathroom vent opened and the bathroom door closed, we did not hear them leave (diesel). So if the noise thing is why you want dual panes, you don't need to.
Happy trails............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #39
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Don--behave yourself. You are disrupting this very serious conversation people are having about dual pane windows. LOL!!

SKOOBDO, I come from the same place as you do--I wish I didn't have to worry about weight in making decisions about which options I want to get.

Sue--glad to hear that the lack of dual pane hasn't caused you any noise problems. Now if only I can persuade Jo-Anna not to want to keep the windows open at night when we're parked next to the large diesel motorhome that's going to start it's engines at 6 am in the morning. I need all the beauty sleep I can get. LOL!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #40
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David
If you are going to get the dual panes on the 3400 Jo-Anna won't have the option of keeping the bedroom window open at night except for the itty-bitty one in the slide. The main window does not have a screen when you dual panes unless you can have one made for it. Another reason I'm glad we don't have dual panes. We open the vents more than the windows for fresh air in the bedroom since there are two plus the one in the bathroom.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote