Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Montana_3851

M.O.C. #3851
Can someone recommend a good 5th wheel

Just sold a 31' travel trailer (forest river)I was not happy with the quality. I am going to purchase a 5th wheel in the next 2 weeks. My price range is max mid 30's. With all the different makes and models I am just looking for some advice on a good (doesn't have to be the best) 5th wheel. Any advice anyone can give me would be helpful. Only option I really need is bunks (3 kids), other than that like I said I just want some good craftsmanship. I will be towing with a 2003 Ford F-250 diesel, thanks..Jeff

Montana_3851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hi

Probably the wrong forum to ask that question.Most if not all the nice people here would steer you to the Montna brand of 5ers.Go figure right?Your price range would probably mean a used one or like me getting lucky and finding a leftover model.I`ve had some major problems with my rig.But i`ll tell you this i wouldn`t have done a thing different in my purchase.i truly do have a love affair with my rig.(mmm that doesn`t sound right)But its true.The real key in your purchase is finding a good dealer no matter what brand you buy.Research the dealer first thing.Talk to people that have done business with them.Hows their after sale business.take a look at their service department.I can tell you that Keystone is a great company to deal with.They sure have come to bat for me.Good luck in your decision.keep us informed no matter what you decide to buy.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I would recommend the Mountaineer 5th Wheel and in particular the model number 319BHS. This is the only unit in the Montana Mountaineer line with bunkbeds. Your F250 is plenty enough tow vehicle to handle this rig.

There are a number of MOCers on this forum that have 319BHS and have spoken highly of it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:24 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did a lot of research before deciding on buying a Montana(don't have it yet)We think the Montana quality is tops in the price range not without fault but very good. Keystone service was our main determining factor.Keystone stands behind the product,(check out this forum) For 30K or so you would be looking for a used one which may be even better as the bugs should be worked out.If you can I would try to get one that is still within the warranty period...just in case... By the way we researched Forest River through and through...we decided on Montana////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I had a Forest River and the quality matched the price. We found a 2001 Montana online that needed a good home and were lucky enough to pick it up for $22,000. It needed some TLC and a lot of elbow grease but it looks like new now. I have done all of the mechanical repairs myself and we replaced all the interior furniture. Total investment is still under $25,000 and I see them on the market for $35 to 40K. The Montana is the best of the best and we are very happy with ours. BTW the Montana owners are pretty special also. Great group of friendly helpful people. A real Family.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:50 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the MOC Forum, a good place to learn.

I am one of those who purchased a previously enjoyed unit. I picked up a prisine 2003 Montana in the price range you indicated. It had been cared for by a fastidious former pilot and was used for fulltiming for 18 months. It rivaled everything we had seen on the showroom floor and was the exact floor plan we wanted.

The big plus in the preowned unit was that all the bugs had been worked out of it and it was loaded with upgrades and improvements that were thrown into the deal, such as a washer/dryer and a second air conditioner. It also included a host of those necessary items that must be added, none of which are very expensive alone, but that collectively significantly add up.

As has been said, the Mountaineer 319 is the only option that meets your criteria. If you can find one, I think you will be happy with it. Happy hunting....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:21 AM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Glen mentioned the bunkhouse model, we went with the Mountaineer 328RLS. At just under 35 feet long and 3 slides it has more floor space than my first apartment with no bunks, did not want them. The kitchen and bathroom is fully accessable with all slides in. We added about every option available and stayed under the range you are talking about. The Mountaineer is a high quality unit and as far as flash goes it is where a Montana was a few years ago. Point being you can buy a used Montana for the same price of a new Mountaineer. We absolutely love ours. Have had only minor problems. Montana's are very nice units. The Mountaineer's are more bang for the buck. Good luck and welcome to the MOC.
If you would like more info e-mail me and I will tell more.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:24 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I guess if anyone offered something other than montana,....we wouldn't be here! as far as the models, there are good in each one and just a preference in your taste!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #9
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
As you can see I have a 2004 318bhs, basically the same as the 2005 319bhs. We love it. When I was looking I wa getting prices in from the mid $30k range to around $28k range, but I searched for a long time and searhced delears and prices across the country and got prices
(including delivery costs) from across the country (keep in mind we have a good keystone authorized warranty center in our area that will work on keystone products even if not bought from them). I basically got a couple of dealers into a "biding war" and was able to get it
for $26k+ $600 delivery from Southern California to Northern California. What I have seen on line appears the price of the 2005 319bhs is running in the mid to hgh $30k range. Keystone make the Cougar model and they have a couple of different bunkhouse floor plans thaty are from the high $20k to low $30k range. Just a thought.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Hello, Jeff, and welcome to MOC! As was already stated, this might not be the best forum to receive an unbiased opinion, but I feel that people will typically be biased toward whatever they own anyway, unless it has demonstrated more than its fair share of problems.

Marsha and I have looked at quite a few 5ers, however, both before and after finally settling on our used 3295RK—there was a deal there that we could not refuse despite the fact that we purchased more camper than we wanted. This has already been stated in this thread, but for the price, the Montana truly delivers. Did I like the Holiday Rambler Presidential or some of the nicer Cedar Creeks I saw? Well, yes, but there is that little detail of dollars. Their prices were significantly higher than those of new Montanas. Both brands were not in our price range, which was very similar to yours, which might have even precluded a new Montana. That said, we found our 2003 for $28,000, so we did far better than we ever dreamed on price.

I would suggest you first visit websites and then visit multiple dealers of the ones that intrigue you, carrying a notebook with you so you can make notations of strengths and weaknesses. That might prove helpful when you return home. There IS an RV out there that will fit your wants and your wallets, though most likely not perfectly. Good luck!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a new Mountaineer. We bought ours last December at a local "high priced" dealer. Our 297 "listed" in the low $40's, was on the lot at $36K, and we finished the deal at $31.5K. If you like the layout and build of the Mountaineer bunkhouse (we are VERY pleased with the quality of ours) you may find a dealer with a very attractive price.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
Montana_3851

M.O.C. #3851
I would like to thank everyone for thier reply's to my question. We have narrowed our choices to(drumroll please).....Keystone Mountaineer 319BHS, Keystone Cougar BH and dare I say it....Forest River Cedar Creek....I'll let you all know when the deal goes down. Going to upstate NY this weekend to a very large dealership over 300 5th wheels on the lot, all of the above metioned models are there..wish me luck!!!! I'll also take all donations..LOL Jeff
Montana_3851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff, although we here feel the Montana and Mountaineer are the best choices, I personally don't see a bad choice in any of those you listed. I don't have any personal knowledge of the after-the-sale followthrough from Forest River but we just finished up with the Keystone Service Center and that alone convinced me if we ever trade it will be another Keystone product.

No matter which of those three you get, you'll be getting a good rig. Good luck and let us know as this plays out. And please pass on to me any excess donations you receive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #14
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Guess we'll be different since right now we are not Montana fans since ours is falling apart. Hopefully the factory will fix the broken frame or whatever it is and the other 30 items--we'll see if we sing or scream. We had a Kit Road Ranger which we bought new in the price range you mention. Their support at the factory in Caldwell ID was above and beyond. Would have bought another, but they didn't have the floorplan we wanted.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As a former Forest River owner, I can't knock the units. However, they don't have the MOC. Forest River (at least a year ago), didn't have an owners group. It is one of the things that you can't put a price on. Like in the commercial, MOC - priceless, for everything else there's whatever that card is. Good luck with your deal - hope you get the unit that's right for your family.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #16
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
defender, All models are great we went from a Cougar to Montana. While at dealer getting AC fix they just got in a Cougar 314BH. If you are looking for a bunk house model take a look at it it's great. Has four bunks in back that can be closed off separate from rest of the unit. Bottom bunk is full size bead on both sides and top bunks are over sized bunks, has it's own entertainment center and wardrobe. We loved our Cougar but my oldest Son out grew our small bunks couldn't fit in them anymore, at that time Cougar did offer anything else. This unit is new for 2005, if I had saw that unit last year when we got our Monty I more than likely would have gotten it it's pretty neat layout. Check it out my dealer had it for about 24K if I remember it correct.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote