Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Road conditions info

In the past, there have been negative reports on I 20 eastward from Shreveport, LA. My routing programs suggest that route from Central Texas to North Carolina. I am asking if anyone has recent experience with that route and what conditions were found?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Stiles, I often read horror stories about I-20, but I take that route all the time. True, there are some rough spots, but I haven't found a route that does not have such.

On the other hand, I have taken a route to North Carolina which I found interesting and enjoyable. To hit only the major high spots: I essentially took US 82 across Arkansas and into Mississippi. Then up the Neches Trace to link up with US 278 (I actually took a shortcut on Mississippi Hwy 8). At Gadsden, AL I picked up US 411 and cut across GA to US 76 then up GA 60 to US 19 in North Carolina. Campgrounds where I have stayed on this route are: Pecan Grove RV near Lake Village, AR; Cullman RV at Cullman, AL. In Gadsden, AL we have stayed at both the Nocculla Falls RV and River Country Campground.

This, of course, was to go into Western North Carolina in the mountains. If that is not the destination, the above is probably irrelevant. In fact it may be irrelevant anyway, but I enjoy route planning.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the info. Appreciate the campsite info too.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
In case you should decide to follow I-20 here are some campgrounds where we have stayed (in West to East order):

Pavillion RV Park, West Monroe, LA -- Not my favorite, but fine for an overnight if in the area where you need to stop. stayed at least twice.

Magnolia RV Park, Vicksburg, MS. stayed twice

River Town RV, Vicksburg, a few miles south of I-20. A new park, fine for overnight. one time.

Askew's Landing RV, about 20 miles East of Vicksburg. A quiet, peaceful, rural setting by a little lake. Not to everyone's taste, but we have stayed there at least 3 or 4 times.

Springridge RV in Clinton, MS (a surburb of Jackson, west side) An urban setting. fine for overnight. one time

Roosevelt State Park, Morton, MS, East of Jackson. Very nice state park. Dump required. We like it very much. at least 3 or 4 times.

Bonita Lakes RV Park, Meridian, MS. A small, new park, concrete pads, plenty of room. Good for overnight. one time.

Tannehill State Park, near Birminghom, AL. Very nice state park. Often full because of nearby city. We enjoy it. 2 or 3 times.

Safe Harbor RV Park. near Pell City, AL. Lakeside park. 2 times

In Atlanta we always try to stay at the Stone Mountain Resort. Too many times to count. Great for destination. Great for families.

Sunset Campground, near Lavonia, GA. A very simple, rural campground. We like it, but that's our taste. 2 times.

From here we would take state roads to US 441 north, and on into North Carolina at Franklin and on to Sylva, Waynesville, and Ashville.

I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know!!!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote