Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
Platform on backend for gen

Has anyone added a platform on the backend to carry your generator?
How did you do it?
Thanks,
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There are some that have done it. When I talked to Keystone about a rear receiver on the trailer they did not want more than 250 lbs back there. So installer beware that could be a warranty issue if you have a new unit.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
Where do you carry your Generator? In the bed of the truck - isn't that noisy - it's right under the bedroom?
jmg
JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My generator would go in the basement under the bedroom. This unit is Generator prepared.
Your statement about noise raises some "concern". If you plan on using the Coleman power mate type generator the noise will be sever to campers around you. The Generators used with RV are still noise but a lot quieter then those mentioned.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have my platform on the back of my monty. A 3000Honda the 50 to 30 and 30 to the gen works fine. No noise in the bedroom. And when I don't want it ,I just remove everything, and store in the garage.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
I have one and it works great , set my eu6500 in it . You can re fuel without climbing in the truck , no audable noise in the bedroom because it is 34 foot away , no problems whatsoever from carbon monoxide everything is outside and safer than a built in . I can change oil without moving the generator . I have back problems so dragging gas cans into the pickup bed , or slipping or falling is a great concern . No draging cables to the pickup . Even if you use a smaller generator and use paraell cables everything is easier to get at and hook up . There is plenty of places to chain the generators to the hitch haul , they all have expanded metal screen floor so if you spill something it just runs through . even room for gas cans just wrep a tarp arround and go
chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
Hitch world in the florida keys did it only cost 150 for the reciever hitch and installation , and 150 for the hitch haul from tractor supply . I have room in the truck bed for the sattelite dish . Really glad i did it
chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The new Montanas come with a receiver already installed on the back...but is says the max total weight allowable is 200#. I'd be real careful putting anything back there.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do keep the Kipor in the rear of the PU..We have always unhitched and run the truck to the rear of the 3400 when we used it. The Kipor 3500(3000) weighs 132lbs..the Honda is about the same. I can't do the math but stress back there with the bouncing the rear of the camper does has got to translate into a great deal of weight on the frame.. I have seen several failures of the rear bumper and platform carrying weight back there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a Honda 3000 and put it in on a rack on the back of the Monty. Traveling we carry it in the truck until we get there and then put it on the platform for the rest of the time we are dry camping. I do like Rich's idea of pulling the truck around. We usually take it out of the truck so we don't have to carry it around with us and risk of thief but you have to secure it one place or the other. Works great.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We have a platform on the back of our Mountaineer with a Yamaha 3000 EFB on the back. We do a fair amount of primitive camping and love the quiet generator.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We were forced to buy a 3500 generator for hurricane Ike. We left the wheels off of it and carried it in the back of the truck. Hubby has a tool box in the LB so space was tight. Without the wheels the generator fits nicely under the Montana. We took it out of the truck and put it at the back with our 50 to 30 amp conversion. It is nice to know that we can dry camp when we have to. I really loved it when the power came back to the camp ground. If it is cool enough that you don't have to run the AC then you would only have to run the generator long enough to charge the batteries. We were still in 90 plus heat so we would run it at night, the one tank would last us about 10 hours. Working off a generator sure makes you learn what draws the most amps.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JMG

Platform on back for gen - followup

My Monty does not have a rear bumper - how did you do your platform and how big is it?
Thanks,
jmg
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JMG

Has anyone added a platform on the back-end to carry your generator?
How did you do it?
Thanks,
jmg
Hi JMG,
Here are two links, one showing a platform you can buy, and one showing how I mounted my hitch to the Montana. Some have had it done by a hitch shop, they usually do a good job, but pay attention to those who mention the weight limitation, as it is critical to save your frame, and not lose the generator.
I suggest beefing up the factory platform, a welder can help in that task.
Good luck, any questions, fire away.
Ozz
http://tiny.cc/Platform244
http://tiny.cc/Hitch
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote