Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
AC Condensation dripping down rear panel

When my unit is perfectly level I had pooling of the rear AC condensation in both rear corners. The poo would eventually get high enough for the water to leak into the screw moldings and run down the inside of the molding dripping out the bottom of the molding.

I asked the dealer to fix this as if left like that would have rusted all the screws and eventually delaminated the rear panel. All the dealer did was to mound up more caulking in the corners so now the condensate is running down the rear wall getting into the rear storage compartment door molding keeping the door housing wet all the time.

It seems to me this condensate should have been channeled to a gutter as it has been in all my other RV's. Do any of you have this problem and a good permanent solution?

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You must have a flat spot in the very end of your roof. All my fivers have enough crown to the roof that the condensate always runs off to the side, into the rain gutter, and out the rain spout extension. It happens this way no matter the level of my fiver other than which rain gutter it runs to. It will look sad, but you may have to run a bead of caulk from the A/C over to the side of the roof to get it to drain to the rain gutter.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
The rear AC is on a sight slope toward the rear of the coach. The rear has a good convex crown that forces the condensation to the corners of the roof. With the buildup of caulking the dealer did to keep the condensate from going into the screw moldings it now makes a larger pool in the corners and goes over the rear roof directly over the tail lights. So now the outside 6-8 inches of rear panel are wet and a lot of the condensation goes into a rear storage door above the bumper. It was not engineered correctly is what the dealer told me when I told him the fix he did will fail. I was thinking of some round cable and eternabond tape but the roof is brand new and my backyard engineering does not fit a new coach.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Just add a flat plastic molding from the ac to the side gutters on both sides to direct the flow held in place by an adhesive that will stick or even use butyl tape. Best fix for less than stellar roof design. John
Old 08-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Does your metal extrusion that goes across the very rear of your roof just have the screws covered with Dicor calk? If so, buy a length of the vinyl insert that goes in the extrusion. This will give you another 1/2" or so of height possibly allowing the water to make it to the rain gutter instead of shooting off the rear of the roof. It will look custom as well since many RV's come with the insert installed OEM.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Here is how one corner looks after dealer repair

Old 08-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 08-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm not familiar with the roofs of the new models, but that doesn't look like what the engineers would have had in mind.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Ugly, incompetent, and not a solution to the problem
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Yes in the picture you can see the gutter sitting empty and the mountain of caulking. Now You now why I will never go to General RV for any warranty work. It does seem rather poor that an RV with a mfr suggested list retail price of $75,000 has this type of workmanship.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've not seen a roof with the foot long or so extrusion pieces running from the back edge forward. That's why the water just pools up back there as it makes a dam. It can't jump the extrusion and run on into the rain gutter. I'm wondering if the extrusion addition was installed to cover up something when the rubber membrane was laid down. Can you supply a photo of the rear side of you unit showing the regular rain gutter and the additional extrusion on the radius of the roof?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:50 AM   #12
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Those extension moldings made no sense to me either. Before they did the caulking mountain the water trying to get to the gutter went into the vinyl screw molding cover, ran down the cover and came out at the bottom of the rar panel. this would have caused the rear panel to delaminate fairly quicl;y as the screws failed. I will look to see if I have any other views it is currently at its third warranty dealer trying to get other things fixed.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #13
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Those extension moldings made no sense to me either. Before they did the caulking mountain the water trying to get to the gutter went into the vinyl screw molding cover, ran down the cover and came out at the bottom of the rear panel. this would have caused the rear panel to delaminate fairly quicly as the screws failed. I will look to see if I have any other views it is currently at its third warranty dealer trying to get other things fixed
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I finally got a elevated contact at Keystone and sent him pictures to see what he says. Here are the best side views I have
Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I don't know who your dealer is but this guy has no idea how to repair things. I could do a better job than what he did. All he did was cause more problems and the possibility of causing the rear cap to delaminate and also create the possibility of forming leaks all the way around that back section. I'm hoping you have contacted Keystone Customer Service(which I think you said you have) and get a file started on your unit and the problem you are having. Please tell us the dealers name so we can all put them on our list of none use dealers if repairs are needed.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm thinking getting the legendary "file started" with Keystone holds about as much water anymore as a bucket with no bottom. The MOC involves only a fraction of Keystone's customer base and just in our social circle we're hearing several owners up against dead ends with major issues.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 AM   #17
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My case has now been elevated to Owner Relations who will not put anything in writing or send emails, give out phone numbers. When I added and submitted the rear roof drain issue and General RV's poor repair that just moved the problem to the rear storage area He commented that it was a big deal having standing water in the door. I find that owner relations is good at telling you anything and doing nothing. It took me a day to get Owner Relations on the phone to remind Him that my unit was still sitting in the dealers lot and he had forgotten to authorize the dealer to do the investigation repair and the dealer was requesting I get it out as his storage was tight.

BTW when General RV Birch Run, the selling dealer with 11 stores in 5 states, failed to fix most issues I immediately called and emailed Keystone Customer service. The email got me a form letter email telling me to take it to a warranty dealer? The call phone rep must have known how bad General RV is with warranty and sent me to another dealer who refused to do any warranty work stating He only worked o what he sold.

In the local campground where it is being stored/checked out I met a neighbor who is having worse issues with General RV. Both his beds have fallen and he has delamination and many other issues. He tried to return it and get his money back and they showed him the form he had signed relieving General RV of any warranty claims and that they sold the RV "As Is".

I have had communications with the General Manager of General RV Birch Run who has told me they will resolve a few issues where they put a paint coating on to protect my paint but forgot to wash the buggs and dirt off before they coated it with a permanent surface wax. Since their roof repair looks awful and when I told them it was not acceptable they told me design was not their job.

I am not having much luck in finding current high level management contacts in either company which shows that they are well insulated and protect themselves from their customers. I guess they have many lawyers in management. I just cannot see how they are the number one seller with the best quality that they advertise seeing how poor they respond and treat customers.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #18
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Nothing so far from Owner relations. Keystone is pretty worthless in standing behind their units. Does anyone have a High Country 375 FL with the rear roof looking like this?

Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #19
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I was in contact with owner relations today on this issue. The representative had researched the issue and was in full agreement with me that having standing water on the roof rear molding, dripping down inside screw covers, and in the door frame of the rear storage compartment will create future issues. My RV is however assembled exactly to manufacturing specifications and the condensation has no way to reach either rear gutter to drain properly.

He will submit the issue to the designers with my pictures and arrows, but they will never repair my HC as that would require a recall which they do not do. So I bought it as is!

So all of you Montana HC 375 FL owners need to keep an eye as the where your rear AC condensation is going and keep applying dicor as needed to prevent water intrusion into the rear panel.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #20
Mikeblan2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #21523
My 2018 High country 345rl has the same problem. Hmmm.
The only fix I see is putting enough dicor on the rear of the roof from side to side to force water to the gutters. Not really pretty, but it would work I guess.
Mikeblan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote