Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
marty173rd@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #21239
New Montana HC

Has anyone he’d to go legally against Keystone for their lack of attention to a matter? We purchased our Montana in November with the intent on traveling coast to coast. Traded in our Jayco Eagle and took the new unit home. We have had nothing but trouble since we got it. Damaged faucets (all). Damaged slide out motor/ gear box, trim and paneling peeling off the frame, front closet shelf and clothes bar collapse, toilet won’t hold water, just to name a few. There are many others. These problems disrupted or entire trip of a lifetime. It seemed like every other stop we made there was a new problem. None of the Campingworld’s along our trip would do warranty work (I had to pay out of pocket) and do the work myself. Wouldn’t you think Keystone would credit us some dollars for the aggravation and Anxiety suffered during this trip? Since purchase, the unit has been in a Camping World shop for approximately three months. Camping world try’s to make me believe that they are doing me a favor by doing warranty work. Looking for some feedback

marty173rd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Welcome to the world of rv,s. LOL. Hope you are a handyman kind of person. Unless the issues are major like an appliance not working or something like that I would save yourself the trouble of getting a dealer to fix it and just take care of it your self. The dealers techs are mostly young inexperienced guys who don't know much and will only do what keystone authorizes them to do.

Most of the time your own repair will be much better then what the dealer would do anyway.

Good Luck.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You have to remember that the dealer where you bought the trailer is keystone's customer and not you. It is all about having a good dealer with a good service dept and more so every day as units are built way too fast for quality. Getting a fifth wheel with limited issues is the result of a good dealer doing a real pre delivery inspection when they receive what they order from any manufacturer. Those that do this sell units to their customers who get to enjoy it. Stuff will still happen, but it is way less than a bad dealer unloading a unit unchecked upon a customer too caught up into buying a new trailer or a customer that doesn't know to check everything out thoroughly before signing the contract. Good luck on your unit. You can call keystone customer service to have them guide you to a place to get warranty work done without you being on the hook for the cost.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The dealer is key and it would be interesting to call Keystone and see if they are even aware of your issues. Because we full time and travel a lot, I keep a spreadsheet of good and bad dealer reports around the country. There are a few good reports about a particular Camping World, here and there, but the majority of Camping World's are in the don't go there column. If I have an issue, and am not near a dealer I trust, I call Keystone first and open a file then have them recommend a dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
You have to remember that the dealer where you bought the trailer is keystone's customer and not you. It is all about having a good dealer with a good service dept and more so every day as units are built way too fast for quality. Getting a fifth wheel with limited issues is the result of a good dealer doing a real pre delivery inspection when they receive what they order from any manufacturer. Those that do this sell units to their customers who get to enjoy it. Stuff will still happen, but it is way less than a bad dealer unloading a unit unchecked upon a customer too caught up into buying a new trailer or a customer that doesn't know to check everything out thoroughly before signing the contract. Good luck on your unit. You can call keystone customer service to have them guide you to a place to get warranty work done without you being on the hook for the cost.
Interesting you brought this up. I was surprised how a Keystone manager contacted me after I suggested I was looking for contact information for the Camping World buyers!! All of a sudden Keystone was VERY interested in knowing what was on my mind. And just as fast as they found out I wasn't a threat to their business they lost interest. I haven't heard from the Keystone rep. that contacted me in over 2 months now.

Hey Keystone, I am looking up the buyers for Camping World!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Welcome to the world of rv,s. LOL. Hope you are a handyman kind of person. Unless the issues are major like an appliance not working or something like that I would save yourself the trouble of getting a dealer to fix it and just take care of it your self. The dealers techs are mostly young inexperienced guys who don't know much and will only do what keystone authorizes them to do.

Most of the time your own repair will be much better then what the dealer would do anyway.

Good Luck.
You left out the part where the service guys always seem to give your trailer back to you with new stuff wrong with it, like scratched counter tops, and scuffed floors. And don’t forget not being able to use your trailer while it sits at the dealer for two months waiting for Keystone approval (or more likely disapproval) before they can start working in it. Yup, you are better off fixing it yourself.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote