Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Vinyl Floor Repair

Well, last night when I got home, something shifted in travels, left by the kids im sure, opened the slide, and ripped the vinyl flooring. All the pieces are still there, but I need some guidance in how to repair, anyone know how thats willing to share ?
I have seen a method of cutting it out, and putting a new piece in, but I obviously don't have any of the flooring laying around.

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ed-- The flooring is installed BEFORE the rest of the unit walls, cabinets and nearly everything else is put in the unit. It actually runs all the way under the slides if I remember correctly from the plant tours we've taken at the Fall Rallies. You might be able to contact Keystone and find out if it is possible to purchase some of the flooring from them or your dealer might be have to do it for you.

There have been numerous occasions where screws that the plant workers put in when building the unit were to long and actually protruded beyond the slide base and tore the flooring so it might not have been the kids that left something that got under the slide. The only way to remedy that is to remove the screws and put shorter ones in IF you know that that is what caused the problem. Good luck and let us know what you come up with as a solution.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #3
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Rondo. thanks for the tip,. ill try and contact them I found the item, was an electric fly swatter.
I had a feeling the flooring goes under all the carpet. Was thinking I might be able to lift the carpet, cut a section of the flooring, from like under a couch, and put that all back.
problem solved...if I can get a piece of the flooring, im confident, I can cut along some of the lines, and blend in a patch...
Old 07-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
An easier source is located under the cabinets in the island or wall. Remove the bottom drawer and you should see vinyl waiting to be harvested.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Give it a try Ed! As I said, if nothing else I'm sure your dealer can get you some of the vinyl that you need. Glad you found the culprit on the ripped section. Nothing better than finding something you never knew could get under a slide to do damage.
Hey, if you can swing it come on out to Goshen for the Fall Rally and meet some of the MOC members and get first hand info from the OEM venders on their products and related sessions, tour the plant where the Monte's are put together and enjoy some of the best food MOC members cook for the potlucks and etc.
Good luck again and let us know how things turn out by posting on this thread again when things get resolved.

Carl's got it right! There is plenty there if your cabinets are not set on carpet. That kitchen center cabinet or island is a perfect place to find what you need.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
id love to come out at some point....have to see, tough my wife is a teacher so getting time off in the fall would be difficult.
Back in 2005 I believe, we attended the MOC rally in Saratoga, meet some great people for sure.. Id love to tour the factory, and hopefully can swing it at some point.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You can also "Farm" alot of the vinyl flooring in the basement just take out one of the carpeted partitions on the left and you will see a bunch of it overhanging from the floor that they did not trim off,that is where I got a chunk of it for my 2012 that I had to repair
Old 07-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar problem. I have a screw or nail pushing up under the flooring. I sort of pounded it down and it lasted maybe 3-4 weeks, but need a better solution. I am not a flooring expert and have never done anything like that before, so need advice would be helpful. Could I cut the flooring in an X pattern over the nail and remove it or install a new screw an inch away or something???
ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy

Rondo. thanks for the tip,. ill try and contact them I found the item, was an electric fly swatter.
I had a feeling the flooring goes under all the carpet. Was thinking I might be able to lift the carpet, cut a section of the flooring, from like under a couch, and put that all back.
problem solved...if I can get a piece of the flooring, im confident, I can cut along some of the lines, and blend in a patch...
This will not work. The vinyl flooring that is under carpet will have staple holes all over it from where the carpet was stapled down over it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #10
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I actually opened the cabinet door in my den, and cut the piece from the inside bottom of the cabinet, I have made the patch, I just need to stop at Home Deport today and get the 2 sided tape and the seam sealant. From the patch I cut, it should look pretty good considering it is a repair, the grain wood lines to give it a look of hardwoods made for an easy place to cut the sides. We shall see later today how it turns out.
I did think of below in the under storage, but I would have to cut a piece from the floor itself, as now of it was hanging over. I noticed that when I installed my surge protector. Plus, same issue with under the carpets, staple holes...
I think I pickjed a good spot. I can either just paint the wood floor in the cabinet, or get a piece of flooring and place in there...
Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #11
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar problem. I have a screw or nail pushing up under the flooring. I sort of pounded it down and it lasted maybe 3-4 weeks, but need a better solution. I am not a flooring expert and have never done anything like that before, so need advice would be helpful. Could I cut the flooring in an X pattern over the nail and remove it or install a new screw an inch away or something???
ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I googled how to repair a vinyl floor, and found a ton of videos on the process, and that is what I am following...that will help you out for sure. I found it to be most helpful and very detailed.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Thanks for the info Kozzy. I also wondered if anyone had an idea of what the screw or nail is all about. I think when it is sticking up, and I walk near it, I hear a sqeak and feel the floor move a bit.
Thanks for any ideas.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote