Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Alright, lets get to the bottom of this.

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to start a post for everybody to see about the laws for RV's. This post isn't just for my satisfaction, but to see what we are really governed by legally. I would like to hear from everyone who has either been pulled over by "the real weight police" or told to weigh at a weigh station or portable scales with their RV. Two months ago I drove through 20 states from Florida to Oregon and never once saw a sign or anything telling me I had to cross any scales by LAW! I would like the facts about this and not "Hear Say" from people you know. How many MOC'ers have had to do this and where? From what I can tell, there is no laws or regulations governing the RV'er. I do have a Class A CDL and have crossed many scales in my 10 years of driving commerical vehicles and never saw a set of scales that told me I had to take an RV across. All of the scales I've seen are only for commerical vehicles. In Missouri where I am licensed, you aren't required to license your tow vehicle as "commerical" unless you are pulling for business and not recreation. Please if any one has information different then what I know, then please post the facts and truth about this. I think we all really need to get to the bottom of this. I myself, am going to reserch this and find out as much info as I can. I would like everyone to do the same and post comments on what they have found out about their state laws. This post is not intended to start any kind of debate about weight, just to find out the facts.

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
I found this at "Wellers.com"
When do I have to stop at the scales (truck weigh station)? [BACK TO TOP]
It is impossible to get a clear answer on this because each state enforces the law differently. Some scales within the same state are very different. The law requires you to stop if you are involved in commercial transactions, and you are automatically considered to be commercial if your total rig weighs 26,000 lbs. or more. If you do get stopped, be sure to have fire extinguishers, safety flares or triangles, and about $200-$300 CASH. If you only have credit cards and checks you aren't going anywhere. Note- the most likely thing to attract attention to you is lights that don't work.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Traveltunes,

There are no weight limitations for RVs in the Colorado State Statutes. They use numbers of axles to enforce the requirements, as it is easier to enforce and understand. Bridge limitations, road limitations, etc are limited by numbers of axles.

There are no weight police in Colorado, as it is not a taxable commodity for non-commercial vehicles. Periodically, we do have roadside safety inspections that look at tires, hitches, safety chains, etc.

Is it an enforceable legal requirement to stay within your listed GVWR? Probably not.

Will I own all of your assets if you cause a death in my family as a result of your direct abuse and gross negligence in following those listed GVWR? I promise you.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
No weight police in Colorado? Where did they go in the last 3 years. Used to see the portable scales around the Ft. Collins area. x269 and x265 looking for weight felons. No rv stops.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
They only check commercial or "for hire" loads.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also have CDL ..That is ..Commerical Drivers License.. I have NEVER seen any indication in ANY State that we have been through and it has been a lot, that a Rv is subject to being weighed..Rv's used for pleasure DO NOT fall under the rules and regulations concerning Commercial Vehicles because they are NOT commercial vehicles Unless you are a commercial hauler pulling a RV for delivery.. The Ohio weight police said the ONLY way they MIGHT stop a Rv is if they observe a serious safety violation and once you are stopped you are fair game. Now I Firmly believe that ALL Rv's should be subject to regulations regarding weight and licensing as there are many dangerous Rv drivers and over weight Rv's on the road. This is my experience and the extent of my knowledge based on mnay miles on the road bit as a RV'er and commercial driver.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I agree with Richfaa, only substitute Pennsylvania for Ohio.
I have, however, sent an email to the PA DMV requesting clarification in writing and will post it when/if I receive it.
I also have found some other PA laws regarding exceeding manufacturer specifications which I will post along with the above reply.
The website promises a reply within 2 business days - lol.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
CGWR is always enforcable, however getting caught is another matter. You would have to do something to get the DOT's attention. To my knowledge the only time a RV has to cross scales is during delivery transport because it is a commercial carrier that is moving the trailer. As much as I am against Government regulation I think there needs to be a bit more regulation in the RV sector due to the few that are really abusing the lack of authority related to RV's most notably being grossely overweight with inadequate hitch equipment. There was a thread a while back showing exactly what we are getting at.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rick..Boy did you hit the nail on head regarding hitch equipment and over weight. Hitch equipment particularly with Travel trailers. We have seen some scary hookups on the road. Also 5th wheels riding on the rear axle and folks pulling unbelievable things behind their campers.There needs to be a law..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've also never seen any indication of needing to pull into any weight station. We've only traveled the lower 48, however. I hear that in Canada things may be different but I don't know that for sure.

Brad, the difficulty is you'd have to prove that was the cause of the accident. In some of the examples posted here that wouldn't be difficult but otherwise it would be very difficult.

Although we're over on GVWR, I would never, ever go over the hitch rating.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
At the present time, there are no requirements for weighing RVs. However, a few years back, there was one state that tried to pass a law (seems to me it was S DAK, but I'm not sure). The Escapees RV Club along with FMCA and Good Sam got the law killed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Canada is pretty much the same as the US. Different provinces, different rules.
YOU, alone are responsible for your TV and the unit you are towing.
Like anywhere, you could drive around overloaded, but god help you if you cause an accident.
If you are not legal, you won't get any help from your insurance company. In our case (BC) it is a provincial owned.
If you are involved in some that could cost tens or hundreds of thousands, you don't want to give the insurance company an easy out.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Several years ago I was stopped in CO by the DOT; asked why I didn't stop at the scales. Told the officer 'because it was my belief I didn't have to as a private individual with an RV'; asked him why. Told me that the lack of center lights on my truck is what caught their initial attention and then they saw that my trailer (which I had just picked up) had a 'dealer' plate (it was the cardboard temporary plate you get until your 'real plates' arrive). In any case, I asked what lights he was talking about and what dealer plate. Long story short -- the lights he was talking about are the center lights on the rear of my dually - they dealer had failed to hook them back up when they rhino-lined my truck bed. Once he saw that everything was 'new'; not commercial delivery for hire, he told me to have a good day and let me go on my way. I did ask him if I should have stopped at the scales and he said 'No, not unless I was hauling the trailer for hire'. So reason for this long post -- yes, if they see something wrong with your vehicle they will stop you and as said above, everything at that point is fair game. However, at least in Colorado, we don't need to stop at the scales.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have been informed by the RV Safety Education Foundation, that NO state requires an RV to pull into weigh scales, in fact they don't want you any where near them because of the commercial trucks. This included private owners only.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I can only post about two states in the lower USA. In California, acording to a CHIPS supervisor(a friend) you do not have to stop at any weight stations, and would only be stopped if you seemed to be a risk to the safety of others on the road. He owns a RV and pulls it with seadoos behind his fifth wheel. His RV is just a little longer than our LB Chev Silverado with our 3400 Montana.

Talking to a friend at TX DOT all private 5th wheels do not have to go to any weight stations in Texas. We discussed the weight problem, she owns a 5th wheel, she said let me know what you weigh when you get your figures.

Both of the above stated that if you seemed to be a risk to anyone on the road that you could be stopped and a tow truck would be called to remove you from the roads if you were a danager to anyone. The cost of towing you would be at your expense.

When we were camped for the 4th of July we saw a guy driving a Diesel pusher about 35' long with a Tahoe and then a boat behind him. It looked like a train pulling into the campground. I don't know how could feel safe pulling all of that behind him.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I always wondered if that would work. Just disconnect and drive your Tahoe down to the boat ramp.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #17
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
When we were in MN last summer shopping for our 3400. I talked to the salesman about double trailer towing laws. He told me that one of his customers was a HP from MN and that they have been talking in meetings about starting to enforce the double trailer towing laws in that state. He told the Salesman that the law in MN is getting out of hand and they have a specific law concerning how your rig has to be set up to Double Trailer. In Nebraska I have noticed that they have on there scale sign that all trucks go to scale. When I drove up to the scales they hit the green light before I got stopped. As with others here I tend to believe that if you look dangerous you will get stopped. There was a post here in the past about the reason being is that the max weights that we pull will not do any road damage like the commercial trucks do that is why we are not much of a concern. Commercial towing also comes under many other laws concerning length,height,logs,taxes, ect. which also need to be checked.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:10 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The States scale's are for Commerical Trucks, that means if your being paid to move cargo from point A to B then you must stop at the weigh stations. The State Commerical Truck enforcement (Diesel Bears) officals have a really hard time just keeping the Over the Road drivers in line. I'm also a retired Truck driver and have a CDL commerical license and have run threw the lower 48 and parts of Canada and never had a problem. My advice is for RV's is stay out of the Weigh stations unless you are directed by Law enforcement to go there. Believe me the Truck Drivers don't like to see RV's in line at the Weight stations, I know some Weigh stations can be by-passed if the entrance's are full, some aren't. I do believe the more we talk about it before long someone will see how much money can be made by going after the RV'ers. I can assure you that is something you don't want, the cost alone just to carry a CDL is very expensive. Each State is different as for as the Laws, and I know someone has had a different experience. Most Law enforcement doesn't have time to worry about RV's. Due to the high Fuel prices you will be seeing less RVs on the road. Just wait and see what happens when the Fuel prices get to to $4.00 a gallon??? Good Luck..... Be Safe and don't feed the Bears........ GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #19
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Well, I got a reply from Pennsylvania DOT, saying they were referring my questions to the Federal Regulations Unit in Harrisburg.
Not wanting to wait for a phone call or an email from them, I sent a request to the Federal DOT for clarification and got a reply saying they forwarded my email to the National Transportation Library Reference Service in the Bureau of Transportation Statistics for answering.
LOL -
There may not be an official answer, at this rate, but I'll hang in there.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #20
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Larry - I think you're on the right track for RV requirements. I think it is the US Government, going back to such things as the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, that covers the requirements. Then the states have the option of adding their own parameters and tweaks. Anyway, when I get some time I'll be looking at the fed stuff too .......
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote