Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
New Years Day has turned into a Total nightmare

First off let me say Happy New Year to all my friends at MOC.

On to my nightmare.Went up today to my storage place to prep the Montana for warrenty work.Checked the tire pressure,removed the tire covers.And when I went up on the roof to remove the AC cover my heart droped.The front fiberglass cap is COMPLETELY septerated from the roof.All the way across.Looks like all the screws have pulled loose.As a result of this wind has got under the rubber roof and now I have HUGE bubbles threw the entire roof.Like I said i`am bringing it for warrenty work on this Monday.My problem is I don`t think the roof will be at the dealers when I get their.Its about an 1 and 1/2 hours drive-all highway.I just know that when that wind gets under it the rubber will be flaping in the wind.Not to mention it coming off and landing on a car behind me.I have NO idea what to do.Drive down and hope for the best??Call Keystone and see what they suggest.Any suggestions you guys and gals could give me would be of great help.Nice way to start the New Year huh???

sad and disappointed ai Pennsylvania

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
HDRDR,

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

I think I would get a 2x8x8' piece of wood place it just behind the loose end of rubber roof and run some screws through it into the underlay decking.

If they are able to reuse the rubber roof matl. they should be able repair the holes you make just fine, also the screw holes in the decking matl.

Just a first thought. I think that would get you to the dealer without any worry about it coming off.

Wish you the best
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Am very sorry to hear about your situation. Not a very good way to start the new year! The first thing that comes to mind, to help you get to the dealer, is DUCT TAPE.
Let us all know how you come out! Wish you the best.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Sunseekers and Azstr-both preety good ideas.Wonder if the duct tape would hold up going down?The peice of wood seems pretty good idea as well.but i don`t want keystone coming back to me and say that I damaged the roof by putting holes in it.I think I`ll give the dealer a call Monday morning before I leave and see what he suggests.

hear I am thinking I got this great deal on a 3 year old left over with full warrenty and my great deal isn`t looking to great right now.I have quite a list of repairs that need to be done before my warrenty runs out in March.

My dream Montana is becoming my sleepless enemy.I don`t think i`am asking the world,I just want things right.I want to be able to go camping and enjoy myself with out worrying whats going to go wrong next.Mmmm maybe I am a dreamer huh????
Old 01-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
harleyrider,

Happy New Year, sorry the first day kinda started out rough.

Our understanding is, that, if you have your concerns on record with Keystone BEFORE that year is over, that they will continue to fix or, will fix, after the 365th day has past. Just cause it ain't fixed by day 365, IF, read that word again, IF, they know about it, they will honor the fix.

I would NOT haul that 5er to the dealer tomorrow without calling them, and/or Keystone and asking what they want you to do about it. Voice your concerns, as calmly as you can, the calmer, the better, and put the ball, errr, roof, in their hands. Ask them, right out, HOW do YOU want me to handle this, I don't want to be responsible for additional damage.

As far as wanting a rig that you can enjoy, we hear ya there. And your turn is a comin! Just remember, as we drag these babies down the hard road stuff happens, and some if it is gonna happen AFTER the warranty is over.

Good luck tomorrow, keep us posted.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Thanks CountryGuy

i will call the dealer and keystone before I venture off.And do just as you said"How do you guys want to handle this problem"And let them know that I don`t want to be held responsible for further damage if it accurs.i`am hoping their will be light at the end of the tunnel,but right now the batteries are a tad dim.I truely do love my Montana,I don`t care what my brain thinks right now(lol)

the one bad thing is they are predicting rain for Sunday threw Monday.i`am sure their is alrady some water damage as I opened up the front storage compartment and the tray under the landing gear pump was filled to the brim with water.I`am getting this sinking feeling that my Montana will be at the dealers past spring.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Then they can fix the water damage too.

We hear your pain (we have been there). It is a gut renching sinking feeling. The trick is to try and stay calm (that is QUITE a trick, eh?) and steady.

If remembering correctly aren't you taking this to a new dealer, not your selling dealer?? If so, Keystone already has you in their sights. Give em a chance, and let us know the outcome.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Yes your right CountryGuy this is a new dealer for us.As of right now they only believe I am bringing it down to repair the bed room slide crack in the fiberglass.OOO brother will they be surprized.Other then the bed room slide repair and the front fiberglass and roof repair.The front landing gear pump is leaking fluid.Noticing spider cracks on the kitchen slide fiberglass.Some of the caulking around a few of the windows is cracking off.rubber seal on bed room slide is split in half.And last but not least is the bed room slide is not sitting flush when retracted.All of these repairs I am assuming will fall under the warrenty.If not I am sure in trouble money wize.i was also going to have them install a washer/dryer combo for us.I was planning that the washer/dryer install was to be the only out of pocket money for me.i`ll keep my fingers crossed on this one.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Based on your last post, I would suspect a frame problem. You seem to have a set of problems that is related to a bad frame. I think the 2001 models were prone to frame problems. Just out of curiosity, what story did the dealer have for a unit that sat on the lot for over three years? Is it possible that this was a pre-owned unit that they simply gave you a warrenty on? You might want to do a VIN search through the factory to see if it had a prior owner, or if the factory has any history on the unit. If it has had prior warrenty work, the factory would have records of this.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
MIKE

this wasn`t pre-owned.This unit was brand new.Well kind of brand new if you know what I mean.I am the first owner.The reason it sat on the dealers lot for 3 years is this is what he told me.They over stocked that year with Montanas.and for some reason or another this one never sold.I made sure threw calling Keystone that this was new with NO prior owner.Keystone confirmed my request.I`am hoping Mike your wrong about the frame issue.I believe this unit was built after the frame problems that Keystone where having.I have the 10 inch beams on this unit.But you never know I guess.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
harleyrider,

They issued the warranty, and it ain't up! Maybe this new dealer will want to call Keystone RIGHT AWAY??? This might be a time for a trip back to Indiana??? Course, the roof will need some attention before they can haul it that far.

Take photos before you take the unit in, of everything that is wrong. Make a detailed but explicit list of your troubles. Keep a copy, or two. Give a copy or two to the dealer. But remember, stay calm, hard as that may be, that is so important!!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #12
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Before bringing it in for repairs, I would go ahead and check the frame welds at the front of the unit. If the frame welds have failed, that could be the root cause of your failures. You don't want them making cosmetic repairs, when something else is causing the problem. The fact that your front cap has separated from the roof, seems to indicate some twisting of the unit. I don't recall ever seeing a Montana with a separated cap. It may also explain the bedroom slide cracking. To do a frame check, you will have to do some dissasembly of the underbelly.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
CountryGuy and Mike

Thanks guys for the suggestions.I will take a trip up to the storage place and take pics of all that is wrong(weather permitting)And Mike as far as the frame maybe being twisted I will forward that information on to the dealer.From what I know of this dealer,from others that have been to them,they are straight shooters.I don`t believe they would just make things look pretty and cover up the real cause of the problem.I do know that this dealer is equiped to do detailed work on fiberglass and frame damage.A guy I know had his Class A broad sided with frame damage and they fixed the repair as good as new from what he said.I will also let Keystone know of my concerns as far as the twisted frame matter.Really hoping a trip back to the factory won`t be neccessary,but if that whats going to make things right then so it shall be.
As you all can imagine I am very upset over this.But i`am smart enough to know not to go ramping and raving to Keystone or the new dealer.When I give the dealer and Keystone a call Monday morning i`am hoping that they will have a tempary solution on how to bring it down to them with out the rubber roof flying off.Be it duct tape or what ever means they would suggest.Maybe roofing nails just to keep the roof from flapping in the wind.Who knows.Keystone already has on record of the bed room slide problem.keystone told me that every time I call or write that a record is kept on file.looks like my file with Keystone will be a little thicker now.
I will let every one of you know what Keystone and my dealer has to say on the matter.Wish me luck I think i`ll need a little luck this time around."Good things come to those who wait."I sure hope that saying is true.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 AM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Was going to go up and put some duct tape to cover up the gap.Was told on the RV.net forum by one of the posters that NEVER put duct tape on a rubber roof,it will really screw things up.Whts your thoughts on roofing nails applied just where the rubber meets the fiberglass cap.If i have to wait until Monday for an answer from Keystone or the dealer,I might be doing this in the pouring down rain.not to thrilled about going up on the roof in that condition.today its nice so far so today would be the day to do something for the ride down to the dealers.Thanks for listening and any suggestions you would have.

John
Old 01-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #15
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You want to use a fastener then use screws, they will hold better and remove easier. I'd get a piece of 1/4" plywood or luan about 6" wide and screw it down. The wood will clamp the roof material better than a couple of screw or nail heads.

Good Luck.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:09 AM   #16
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Harleyrider.sorry to hear about your problems,hope you have better luck with keystone than we have,our 2004 montana has had more than it's share of problems;we just had some major fiberglass work done that is terrible, keystone now says our unit is out of warranty and will not repair it again.We are now looking to get rid of this lemon unit and like you, we love our unit;just seems to be constant things breaking and poor service from the factory.No more keystone products for us. Good luck.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #17
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
SGF

I hear you loud and clear my friend.I think my problem was jumping on a 3 year old left over that sat on the dealers lot out in the elements for over 1100 days with no tender loving care.Just sitting their.The price I got was just to good to pass on.But now i`am paying the price.I`am putting all my apples on Keystone to do the right thing.I figure my ace in the hole is the Full Warrenty.Hopefully the dealer will get things fixed right to my liking.I`am pretty picky when it comes to having things done right.i will voice my concerns about possible frame damage as MIKE suggested.And what ever water damage has already happened with the fiberglass cap seperating.I did go up today and did what "NJ Hillbilly" suggested and screwed a long piece of wood down to stop the rubber from balloning on the trip to the dealers tommorow.To me it looks like they used screws to secure the front cap to the roof that are WAY WAY to short.can`t believe they held this long to be honest.The gap is so big I was considering rolling up a towel to put between the cap and the roof.their was that much room their.I got some good pics to send to Keystone.Hope they enjoy them.I`am not giving up hope.We love our Montana,love the floor plan.And i`am very proud to be towing it behind my truck.Not to mention all the wondeful people here on our forum.I really do feel like I`am part of a special family here.That being said it would break my heart and my wallet but I will unload my Montana,take a BIG hit money wize,and go shopping around for another 5th wheel.this would be a LAST resort that i DON`T want to do.It would probably mean me putting off my retirement for another 2 years or so.God I hate to even think of that.And you have to also look at the other side of the coin.Who`s to say that the next 5th wheel will be any better.
I just had to fall in love with RV`ing didn`t I.

sorry for the long rant but I do feel better now(laughing)
keep your fingers crossed every one.Heck it might be better then new right?????laughing again.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #18
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
RV'ing is a lot like other hobbies or diversions. Boats are often referrred to a "Holes in the water that You throw money into", small aircraft, race cars and other things are very rewarding but with a price.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #19
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
harleyrider,keep the good face on, we feel much better today, dealer said they will personally make sure our rig is fixed to our satisfaction regardless of whether the manufacturer helps or not, they also said they would extend the warranty at their expence if they have to, they do not want any unhappy customers out there,but said they hope keystone will jump on board.So do we!
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote