Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
OLD! But GOOD Advise!

There has been a Rash of RV Break-ins in Sequim, Wa! They are hitting the Storage Lots Mostly! One neighborhood got pounded about 8 Rv's were hit right in the owners yards! They hit 4 Rv's in out lot and didn't get into any of them. They have been successful at about 60% of their tries!

About the advise: Forget about locking the Latch. Just use the Deadbolt!
I was told that back in 79 when I bought my First Trailer, a 17' Security, It proved to be SAGE!

The Lock Smith that replaced my Lock AGREED!

The were using Pocket Knives, SHARP, to Bore out the lock and totally destroyed the Latch Lock! If the idiots had tried it first they would have found it wasn't LOCKED! lol

They got MOST of the deadbolt lock dug out but couldn't expose the Deadbolt Shaft. They then took a Crowbar and tried to pop the door open. NO LUCK! Actually very little damage, just used a Rubber hammer on the bent frame and the lock was $39.95 and the Smitty was $40. He used a drill to access the shaft and then popped it open!

dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thieves broke into the "secure, fenced, gated, video monitored storage facility" where mine was about 3 yrs ago. Hit about 10 rigs. Cut a large hole in back chain link fence.
Got into my basement but not inside. I did have the deadbolt latched. You could see where they tried pulling/prying on the door handle before giving up. They did get inside several others and the ones I talked to did not have the deadbolt latched. Except one. Unfortunately they knocked out the glass in the door, reached in and unlocked the deadbolt, then pried open the door, and took a bunch of stuff. Also knocked out the passenger door window of a MH, got in, and got a lot from that one also.
Just depends on how determined they are.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I'm up here in Sequim in the Diamond Point area fulltiming and that shocks me it is such a quiet safe place but I guess there are Scumbags everywhere,we do not even lock our door up here sometimes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
The only time I don't lock my door is when I'm on the inside waiting to help them get reacquainted with their ancestors.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Been considering getting one of those signs that says the door lock is for your protection not mine.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Exactly Jay. Send them to meet their maker.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Couldn't agree more, one less scumbag no one will miss and we don't have to pay our hard earned $ to try and rehabilitate someone that more than likely has no intention of being rehabilitated!

So I would think this brings us back to having an alarm system. At least it would make noise and possibly scare them away??? We always lock the deadbolt...I think the DW is afraid the cats will the lock and run away or something!

I know others have spoken of alarms. I've never added one to any of the RVs I've had, but I'm sure my time will come that I wish I had.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote