Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Slip Plate Lubricant

Has or is anyone using Slip ( spray graphite ) instead of grease on their superglide hitch? If you are using this product, what are your recommendations or comments.

richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Been using it for over two years without a problem. Must provide a good base so the product will adhere properly.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I have been using it since '08. I do have it flake & wear off in some areas. Those areas remain very smooth however, I reapply after towing. I remove the hitch once a year, disassemble, clean and reapply. Seems to do the job. BTW, I purchase the product direct from Slipplate as I can't find it locally. They sell it in 6 can packages.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I originally used grease but cleaned that off using instructions from Pulliam and have used Slip Plate the past 3 years or so.

By the way, at a Goshen rally a couple of years ago I asked at a seminar given by Pulliam how many miles can we go between applications of slip plate. Sometimes when we are just overnighting we don't unhitch so would not be able to apply the slip plate. After talking among themselves they said every 1100 miles should be fine.

Ken, if you have a Grainger's store nearby, they carry Slip Plate and are cheaper than anywhere else I've found it. Also, Pulliam told me I can use any dry graphite lubricant. I'm still using Slip Plate but have purchased another brand I'll try when the Slip Plate runs out.

So far, so good.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Steve,
I tried Grainger. They didn't carry it in stock so they ordered it for me. They mistakenly ordered the Chain & Cable (silver can) instead of the green/yellow can. When it came in they said they couldn't find the one I wanted in the 'book'. So I ordered direct, $62.00 for 6 - 12oz cans.

Do you have the rails exposed in some areas after towing? I have been told that it is normal but have been reluctant to let it go without reapplying frequently.

Ken

BTW: Website for Slip Plate Aersol is: http://slipplate.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=4
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
slip plate here also, works great. As stated make sure the tubes are very clean before applying the spray. I sand down the bare spots and clean with brake fluid and carb cleaner the re apply slip plate.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Have been using Slip Plate since 2007 and it is great. I usually apply it before a trip and then every 1000 miles or so.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I have used grease for the past 5 years but am in the process of disassembly and cleaning...will be applying Slip Plate this year for the first time...hope it works as well as everyone says it does...do you apply it to the king pin hitch on the Monty as well??? I plan to do that when it gets warmer...Also....has anyone noticed any particular wear on the super glides when the take them apart to clean etc...I have a couple of places....but have no concerns at this time...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Slip Plate is no longer recommended for Pullrite Superglide hitches manufactured November 2009 or newer. From the manual:
http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/4100_4400_SG_OM.pdf

The SuperGlide hitch was designed to allow the Turntable cam arm assembly to “glide” along two metal tubes, called the Way Tubes. Since it’s release in 1998, we have made several advancements in the design, strength, and durability of these components. This section on lubrication spans several releases and design changes. It is imperative that you read each section and determine which SuperGlide hitch you purchased, and how to care for it. There have been three major lubrication changes to the SuperGlide hitch:
1. Prior to april 2008, Way Tubes were assembled with either a conventional, quality grade grease or none at all
2. In april 2008, we started coating the Way Tubes with a graphite-based spray lubricant called SlipPlate™
3. november 2009 brings a new innovation from PullRite Towing Systems with the use of plastics. The Turntable cam arm assembly is now equipped with Plastic Wear Plates (see Parts List Illustration beginning on Page 15)
Depending on when your hitch was manufactured, the Way Tubes of your new SuperGlide hitch will meet one of the above criteria. Each application listed requires some level of maintenance, so it is important that you read the following instructions carefully, choosing which application you have, and adhering to the lubrication instructions as follows: It is good practice, to check the lubrication on your Way Tubes during stops, checking for any areas that may need additional lubrication. Failure to properly lubricate the Way Tubes, as directed in this section, will eventually cause galling between the metals of the Way Tubes and Cam Arm Assembly, which will result in hitch failure. Destruction of various hitch parts is also likely, as well as truck and/or trailer damage, and will not be covered under the Manufacturer’s Warranty.

Conventional Grease (prior to April 2008)
If your hitch was manufactured prior to December 2006, and grease is present, you must clean off all factory grease from the Way Tubes (WD-40 works well as a cleaning agent) and reapply a liberal coat of either a medium duty grease or SlipPlate™ graphite lubricant spray. It is essential that you use a medium duty grease on the top and inward facing sides of the Way Tubes (WD-40 or silicone spray is NOT sufficient) before towing. When applying SlipPlate™ to Way Tubes that have been previously greased with another lubricant, it is imperative that all grease residue has been removed, otherwise, the SlipPlate™ will not adhere to the metal. Hitches manufactured after December 2006, were not shipped with factory grease on the Way Tubes. You can elect to use either a conventional, quality grade grease or SlipPlate™.

SlipPlate™ (april 2008 - October 2009)
Hitches shipped after april 2008, have already been coated with Slip Plate™ and will appear dark gray in color. This initial coating will give you enough lubrication for a short trip, plan on inspecting the Way Tubes after a short time so you can become visually familiar with the characteristics of how the Slip Plate™ is wearing. During trailering, there will be areas on the Way Tubes that show more wear from the Turntable/cam arm sliding over the top and inside faces of the Way Tubes. Reapply a light coat of Slip Plate on those worn areas each time you trailer.
Every few hundred miles, you should apply a coating of Slip Plate™ over the full length of the Way Tubes, both on the top and inward facing sides. The frequency of coating depends on personal trailering habits, trailer weight and road conditions such as the number of curves and turns experienced during a period of trailering.

Plastic Wear Plates (December 2009 - current)
The Plastic Wear Plates of the SuperGlide’s Turntable cam arm assembly were designed to glide along the surfaces without the need for lubrication. However, to protect against rust and to enhance the ease of turning on the Way Tubes, a light oil (WD-40 or a 3-in-1 oil) must be applied to the Way Tubes’ top and inward facing sides. You will find with use, that the Plastic Wear Plate will wear the shiny zinc coating off the Way Tubes in areas, creating “bare” areas of the metal, as well as light scoring marks in areas of repeated use. This is normal, but should be protected with a coating of a light oil. If your hitch is unused for more than a day or it is in storage, rust can form quickly in these areas. If rust does form, simply use steel wool or lightly sand those areas. Never let your tubes become pitted with rust, as it may cause the plastic to tear away or catch on rough areas. The Plastic Wear Plate has a long life expectancy, but depending on how often, and what terrains you are traveling, the plastic will eventually, wear down in time. If the 1/4” plastic plate wears down to 3/16”, it should be replaced. Warning: Do not use any lubrication other than a light oil on the Way Tubes of your SuperGlide hitch. Using other lubricants, such as those with a silicone base, will create a residue and may hinder the functionality of the Turntable cam arm assembly. buildup of old oil and dirt can also create a residue over time and needs to be kept clean.
Note: a retro-kit is available for users without Plastic Wear Plates. (16K – Part# 4107 / 18K – Part# 4411)
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You can get Slipplate at most Napa stores. They don't normally carry it but can order and have it to you in a day or two. I find it cheaper than online...really. I swear by it for my SuperGlide. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
That's right now that CORattler mentioned it, I did see a new Super glide with the plastic wear plates. it was a really nice setup,

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Steve,
I tried Grainger. They didn't carry it in stock so they ordered it for me. They mistakenly ordered the Chain & Cable (silver can) instead of the green/yellow can. When it came in they said they couldn't find the one I wanted in the 'book'. So I ordered direct, $62.00 for 6 - 12oz cans.

Do you have the rails exposed in some areas after towing? I have been told that it is normal but have been reluctant to let it go without reapplying frequently.

Ken

BTW: Website for Slip Plate Aersol is: http://slipplate.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=4
Ken, I must have been lucky. Both Graingers I went to had it in stock. I paid $8.xx per can and bought 3 cans each time. I do have a corporate number from the company I retired from so maybe I got a discount. If you worked for a company that did business with Grainger, give them the name and they'll look up the account number for you. You still have to pay, though. It's not that kind of account!

Yes, after towing I can see where the slip plate has "worn" and looks shiny. The Pulliam people at the seminar said just run a fingernail over it to ensure it's not bare metal. If bare, spray it. Otherwise it is still lubed. I find I can run a finger over it (not the nail) and the finger comes away with a graphite residue so I know it's still lubed. We recently did four days on the road without unhitching and it was fine. That was real close to 1100 miles.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sola123

I have used grease for the past 5 years but am in the process of disassembly and cleaning...will be applying Slip Plate this year for the first time...hope it works as well as everyone says it does...do you apply it to the king pin hitch on the Monty as well??? I plan to do that when it gets warmer...Also....has anyone noticed any particular wear on the super glides when the take them apart to clean etc...I have a couple of places....but have no concerns at this time...
Pulliam says you can spray wd-40 or similar lubricant on the saddle of the hitch and/or the kingpin plate but to me that's too messy so I just spray slip plate on it. It's convenient since I already have the can out to lube the rails.

Swanny, you are far more diligent than am I. Since putting the slip plate on the first time I have never removed it all and reapplied. I just move the saddle/head full aft, spray the shiny spots that I can see on the rails, then move the saddle full forward and do the rest, then put the cover on.

Stan, in case you don't already know, the first time you are supposed to put on one coat, let it dry (instructions say for how long) and then spray a second coat. It will be pretty thick and use a lot of the first can of slip plate. The slip plate sure seems to work well.

I would very much like to have that new plasticized rails and head that don't require periodic lubrication. There is supposed to be a retrofit kit coming out, or maybe already out, but last I talked with Pulliam it was going to be rather pricey.