Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Leaky new tires? Valve stems!

At the Goshen Rally 2011, we got new wheels and G614 tires. On the way home, I noticed that one tire was steadily losing pressure and needed topping off. This problem has persisted and I've had to add air a few times.
Once again, I was checking the pressures all around and, when I pushed the pressure gauge onto a (different) tire, the valve stem went in a bit and air hissed out around it! It turns out that the valve stem retaining nut and washer were completely loose, rattling on the stem. This wasn't apparent visually because the seat is deep in the hole that the valve protrudes from (a tire expert will have right name for this). A deep socket is required to reach it. Deep socket in hand, I checked the other valve stem nuts - they were all loose to some degree. After tightening them all, I checked the pressures cold, then hot. We drove 300 or so miles today and the hot pressure in the "bad" tire hadn't dropped a pound each time I checked it. I'll check the cold pressure in the morning, but I think we're good to go. So, check those valve stems - who'd a thunk it?
Edit: Checked the pressures cold - perfect.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yeah, like we need another thing to check. Geez, whiz.... Ya can't trust nuttin'. Shouldn't these be real simple? Once they are on (installed correctly), then one should not have to worry about them.

Great debug and corrective action, Dave!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Hahaha - "can't trust nuttin'."
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Good tip...thanks.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
On our previous SOB I upgraded the tires to XPS ribs and new rims to accommodate 80psi on the new tires. Old ones being 60psi max cold. I told the dealer to install steel valve stems. Picked up the new tires and noticed rubber valve stems. Questioned the service manager. His answer, they were high pressure valve stems. Installed the tires/rims and after about two weeks noticed pressure loss any where from 5psi to 20psi on each of the four tires. Went back to the dealer, explained what happened, reminded him that I specified steel valve stems. He agreed to replace them at no charge of course. I monitor with a TPMS and the new stainless valve stems sealed perfectly. Same on the Monty with the G614s. I appreciate your heads up on the retaining nut.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Our stems are steel, as we requested. I must admit, I wonder why they weren't tightened...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
My G614s are mounted on the stock Tredit T04 rims. The steel valve stems have a double nut on the inside and these were the only stems that would fit this wheel. not sure what wheels Dave has that would allow the nut to be on the top side?
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Well, Dave, since you asked specifically for metal valves, you forgot to ask for them to tighten them. There you go, trusting again.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

snip...not sure what wheels Dave has that would allow the nut to be on the top side?
Tredit T07 8-spoke
Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Be very careful when tightening these stems, you can easily over tighten them which compresses the rubber gasket beyond it's proper seating shape, and can even split the rubber. For those of you with a lbs/inch torque wrench, 25 to 30 inch pounds is plenty. If you don't have the proper tools, and/or don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, any reputable tire shop will check them for you.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Thanks, Lonnie. I tightened them gently by hand using a short handled wrench, plus extender. I guess I'll have to get an inch-pound wrench. Darn, I hate buying new tools...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Dave, if you don't want to buy a new tool, I would use the same procedure like when I used to replace my own shocks (back before struts) and you tighten things down to cause the rubber to start to expand, then STOP. This is probably the same principal for the smaller rubber grommets with these valve stems. The expansion of the rubber implies the seal it is trying to provide for its intended job, but you don't need much. Hopefully LonnieB can check my commentary to make sure I describe it correctly in the event you aren't near your tire guy or don't have the right tools.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Thanks, Art. But, I was joking, as Kathy can attest...I love new tools gleaming in the tool box...Christmas is coming!