Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
BigSkys
Established Member

M.O.C. #10086
Need Help With Pluming Please

Hello, I’m in need of some advice, first I have a 2005 Montana RL3500. The problem I am having is that the kitchen sinks or galley tank is backing up and won’t drain, I tried running a lot of hot water down one of the sinks and it just filled the other sink with the hot water, I have drained all the holding tanks, I am hooked up to park full hookup. The idiot lights on the monitor panel shows that the galley tank if full, up to today they were draining just fine. I am not sure what is going on. Can any one please if you have run into this before, point me in the right direction? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

BigSkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Tank sensors are notoriously innaccurate ... I'd say as in your stick house, the drain pipe below the tee that connects both sinks is clogged. Take the p-trap loose and run a flex line or similar down the main drain line.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
This may be a dumb question but you do not say how long you have owned the unit. Have you opened the valve for the galley tank. It is a handle probably behind the wheels on the street side. You have a grey tank and a black tank dump in the storage compartment and a galley handle by the wheels. I have the same floor plan and my handle is between the two slides.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I don't mean to offend with such a simple answer but are you sure all the tanks are empty? I am not sure if this applies to your year and model but on my 2003 the galley tank drain line handle is just in front of the wheel on the street side. The other drain lines are in the cabinet. No one would think to look there for a drain valve handle. At least I wouldn't. If it applies it would explain the galley tanks not draining. Good luck.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Could you tell when draining your tanks if the galley tank really did drain? Sometimes the handle pulls but doesn't open the dump valve. (The rod comes out of the valve) Jim
Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We were fulltimers until May of this year and I had to take apart the plumbing under the kitchen sink about three or four times and clean the lines. Possibly your problem? I also agree that those sensors should NEVER be trusted.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The hidden galley tank valve has got many of the forum members on here. It’s easy to overlook. Please let us know what the problem was when you get it fixed. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Another possibility...you never mentioned if you tried using a plunger. Just saying, a light touch with one of those may free a clog.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
There is a separate grey tank for the kitchen sink. that grey tank handle is on the drivers side just behind the rear most tire. You have 2 grey tanks and you may have overlooked the kitchen one. Good luck
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I'm guessing you are a new owner to your '05 3500RL. I have an '06. The drain valve for the galley gray tank is different than the gray tank for the lavatory/shower. The valve is located between the two big slides on the driver's side. The handle can be seen right behind the rear tire just like what described above.

However, if you aren't a new owner, it sounds like you know about the number of tanks but you don't quite describe how many tanks you've been draining. If you have only been doing the gray tank valve and the black tank valve in the storage areas, then you are missing the valve described above.

Please confirm you are draining using THREE valves, then we can discuss other clog possibilities and remedies.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
BigSkys
Established Member

M.O.C. #10086
Ok I got the pluming problem fixed, took me a few hours to get problem located and then fixed. First of all I have been draining there tanks, I have had this rig for about three years now so I am familiar with every thing about it. Thank you all for your help. Now on to what was the problem, To narrow things down, I put enough water in both sinks just enough to cover the bottom of the sinks, then I went out and lowered the try pod jack under the king pin, I then went back in side and had the DW watch the water level in the sinks while I walked up into the bed room above the king pin, by doing that the water level went down to just about where you put in the stopper, so that told me it was not a T fitting or elbow under the sinks, to much water moved, and I new it had to be the holding tank trap valve, so I cut the belly open to got at the drain valve, when I started to take the valve off here comes all the gray water, after inspecting the valve to find out that it was just fine, I thought what the heck is going on here, then I took a garden hose and shoved it into the elbow and turned the water on full blast, water came gushing right back out the elbow and none at all was getting down to the dump valve, guess what? That black 1 ½ inch pipe was plugged solid. So I took a hack saw and cut that pipe so I could use the hose and nasal like a water jet and started jamming the hose down though the pipe, finally Brock though all the blockage, put things back together with a fitting to repair the pipe where I cut it with the hack saw. All is fine now!! Have you ever watched that show called dirtiest jobs? I think I found it!! Thank you all.
BigSkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Glad you found the problem and thanks for letting us know.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
This is interesting subject. Not to hijack the thread, but what does everyone do as far keeping them galley drains clear of grease. Washing dishes with grease on them, even very little at a time will build up. I have never had this problem but can see how it would happen. I always wipe all pans that we cook with down with a paper towel before even going to the sink. so far that works, but my unit is newer and probably don't have enough time for it to collect in the drains. Although now fulltimed in it for about 18 mos.

BTW before I get slammed I do the dishes most of the time, and my wife cooks. Its an even trade I believe :-) LOL

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Besides wiping all the grease off the dishes we hold our tanks until almost completely full. I think the rush of water down the 1.5" pipe allows for less accumulation in the pipe. I know some people like to leave the dump valve open so they don't have to go open it at the least opputune time, like when the sink starts backing up during a thunderstorm. Jim
Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sounds like a voice of experience there Jim!
As posted prior, we wipe out any oil/greases from pans and plates before putting them in the sink. We also use the blue Dawn as a dishwashing soap and put some of the water softener powder down into both the grey tanks too! The Dawn breaks down the grease and oils as it does on the creatures that get caught in the oil spills when they clean them up. It's worked for us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Not personal experience on the 5'er but I've cleaned enough home drains to understand clogs. Biggest culprit is not running enough water down the drains. Every time I'm under the rig I look at that 1.5 inch, poorly supported, sagging pipe and wonder how it does keep from clogging. Seems it runs uphill to the supports and swayed back in between the hangers. Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
HPRUM2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #931
has anyone ever tryed using baking soda and white vinegar to clean drains,it works great in stick house. hprum2000 20113750fl 2011dogedually
HPRUM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Just asking. Did you figure out what clogged your drain line when everything broke free?
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote