Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Entertainment center antenna wiring

Recently, on our first outing in our new Monty, I connected to the parks cable TV point. I found that the antenna booster must be TURNED OFF to receive a signal via the cable (and, I assume, a satellite dish if so connected). I also found that while connected to the cable the FM radio receiver would not function. I could not receive a single FM station on the big stereo while the small radio in out bedroom received many FM stations. After returning home I began to investigate the problem. The received worked fine at home before the trip. Well, I found that the receiver was connected to the TV antenna and worked just like the TV, especially when the antenna booster was turned on. However, when connected to the cable it could not receive and FM signals. To remedy this problem I disconnected the TV antenna from the receiver and connected a separate dedicated FM antenna and strung it around the inside of the cabinet where the receiver is stored. It seems to function fine at this time and should work when connected to cable since the two are no longer connected to the same antenna system. Has anyone else found this situation in their Montys?

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Lynn and Kevin,
You are right on track. Yes that has been discussed before. With Forumco doing upgrades to their server the search function of the forum is disabled right now.
Thanks for posting.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My 2006 Monty has a completely separate FM coax antenna connection that connects into the Monty's audio unit so I've never had the problem. I think this is what you are describing you had to do.

For Television, I then have the "loop" connection for the Park supplied cable and must turn off the booster and set my tele's for "cable". When I'm using a satellite receiver, it gets connected in the "loop".

The problem you describe is not familiar to me, but according to H. John Kohl, others have discussed before. This only means not all of have the issue, but you may not be alone. Why these things have to be changed just boggles the mind. Saving their dollars just to create issues for their customers just doesn't seem right.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Right you are Art. In my unit there is a double coax fitting on the back wall. It has two coax plugs. Keystone placed a jumper cable of about 6" between the two. It connects to the top one, loops around and connects to the bottom one. There is nothing in the paperwork that came with my trailer that explains what this is for and how to use it, or why it's done that way. The salesman had no clue either. But no big deal, I'm resourceful, I'll figure it out. I'm thinking maybe my satellite receiver connects between these two plugs in place of the jumper. IF that's what it's for then Keystone should say so. Just a little sticker on the wall next to the plug....CONNECT SATELLITE RECEIVER HERE IN PLACE OF JUMPER.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
When we set up the first time, we were unable to receive a clear signal via the park cable connection...being the handy guy that I am, I complained to park management. They checked the cable input and determined there was no problem. While I was contemplating returning our rig to the dealer for adjustment, I was reading the Montana owner's manual and saw on page 33 "The TV Antenna booster must be off for the cable signal to reach the TV location." Once I turned off the signal booster, received cable input clear as a bell. We have not had any problems with FM reception???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Well, I finally got it going. First I tried to place the sat. received in-line by removing the jumper cable and running a cable from the top connector to the sat. receiver, then another from the receiver to the bottom connection. But it didn't work, nothing. I reversed the cables, again nothing. Then I replaced the cable from the receiver to the TV with a 'component cable' (a three wire connection with a red, white and yellow plug on each end). I then tuned the TV to the AV input. This time I got satellite signals across the board. I don't know why the cable and/or the antenna works through the normal connection but the sat. does bot. In any event, I have sat. TV when I want it. Go figure......

Thanks folks for the input and suggestions. It's always a pleasure to interact with folks in-the-know.

Kevin