Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Charleston, SC

Arrived today at James Island County Park, very nice park with FHU and much to do. We are in site 103 if you are in the area. We have some things to do and see, can anyone recommend places to see??? We are open for suggestions......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Go to Folly Beach and walk on the hard sand.

Go downtown and visit the market (sometimes called the ole Slave Market). Either bring credit cards, lots of cash or lock up $$ source, depending on your mood. While down there take a buggy ride or a house tour if any houses are having them, walking tours. They used to have a movie/slide show at the welcome center, well worth it!! (Been a few years since we were there, so, please remember I said, USED TO! )

Any of the plantation tours are well worth it, got time, do em all.

Drive over to Isle of Palms, used to be fab, till Hugo, not sure, have not been back since.

Drive by 723 XXXX drive, my dad used to live there, noooo, just kidding! He did live there, kidding about the drive by!

Be sure to get at least one pulled pork sandwich with the mustard style bbq sauce. Oh, lordy!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Gott to add to Carol about Folly Beach. Stop at the Folly's Hideaway, a very good sea food resturant. They were very reasonably priced and just plain a neat place to dine for lunch or dinner.
Don't forget to visit the fort and the ship museum.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just left there today Phil. We were in site #61. Traveled up hwy 17 to Camp Swampy. $15 a night with full H/U and cable, but lacking in many areas. The main gate is like 15 miles away.

Go the the museum on the USS Yorktown. You can also take the tour boat over to Fort Sumter. We did not do that because of Miya. The times for the boat do not coincide to how long we want to leave her by herself. We went to Fort Moultrie and from there you can see Fort Sumter. Downtown Charleston was nice but we just rode through. My knees are not up to that type of walking. Oh! Fort Moultrie will honor your National Parks Pass, but it's only $1 for a senior citizen like you. Cathy may have to pay more. She is a lot younger than you are, right?

While you are at James Island, take Villa over to the doggie park in James Island County Park. There, she can run and romp and play in the beach access water. She'll love it. Miya was an angel the whole time she was in there (3 times). If you are sticking around for the weekend, the splash town is nice. We didn't use it, but then we have one in Houston that I have been in with the grand kids.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Darn Wayne and Phil, you 2 are so close to my location it isn't funny. If I wasn't on a mission to get up to my grandson I would be heading in your directions.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Hi Phil & Cathy. We are in site #1. We saw you come in today. I commented to DW about your truck paint job and license plate. We are down for the week. Stop by and chat if you get a chance. It is really neat to actually speak to other members face-to-face.

Steve & Carla
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chieflawdawg

Hi Phil & Cathy. We are in site #1. We saw you come in today. I commented to DW about your truck paint job and license plate. We are down for the week. Stop by and chat if you get a chance. It is really neat to actually speak to other members face-to-face.

Steve & Carla
We will definitely do that one day. Glad to meet other MOCers on the road......
Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glenn,
I'm presently located at Camp Lejeune.

Wish we could have met.

Next time.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
James Island County Park is a 9.9 in my book. Very well kept CG with many amenities, of course, this is a county park first with a FHU Campground, absolutely beautiful. So far in Charleston we have; Done the downtown bus tour, went to Ft Sumpter, went to the naval museum (which included the Yorktown AC carrier, the Glamagor Sub and a CG cutter. Went to the Mangiault house, had lunch at Sticky fingers, tomorrow will be two plantations and a tea plantation. Villa has been to Planet Bark, a doggie day care and to the beach dog park here at the park. Thursday planning on Folly beach with a stop for lunch at Follys Hideaway.

Carol, had a pulled pork sandwich at Sticky Fingers and tried the honey/mustard barBque sauce and actually preferred the Tennesee Whiskey sauce. BTW, They have ribs to die for.

Will leave here Friday for Myrtle beach. Weather has been terrible, cold, wet and rainy, but won't let that keep us at home.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We were there last fall - you might want to check out the HL Hunley. It was the first submarine to ever sink a ship (during the Civil War). It was "raised", complete with the crew's remains, a few years ago and the exhibit is pretty impressive.

http://www.hunley.org/
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Larry, We wanted to see the Hunley, but the tours are only on the weekends. We can only stay until Friday so we will have to see it "next" time we are in Charleston. Thanks for the idea though...
Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don't believe have tried the TN version. Have never had a Sticky Fingers either. For the life of me cannot remember name of place we used to go to. I would get off plane and head right there!

In any event, sounds like you are having a great time!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Had a great time meeting and talking with Phil. We did the aquarium, the battery, the straw market and ate at Hyman's Seafood for lunch and Charleston Crab House for dinner. Finally the sun is out but still a little windy. Phil, when you get to Salisbury, I will take you for some real pit cooked Lexington style BBQ. More vinegar based sauce instead of tomato. Call me when you get there.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just another rainy day in Charleston, probably won't do much today. Would like to take Villa to dog park again and let her get in another day of playing with other canines and have a good day at the beach here. Will wait out the rain and try again later.

Steve E., Folly Hideaway has done a good job of hiding. I have been down there twice and can't find it. Oh Well, I guess I will just have to miss it, was going to try the "Crab Shack", but it has terrible reviews.

Steve S., Will definitely give you a call when we get to your "Nek of da woods". I can always do Bar-B-Que and looking forward to trying it as you describe it....

Carol, "Sticky Fingers" is a Bar-B-Que place AND, they really do it justice, I had dry rubbed ribs (so I could try out the five different kinds of sauces on the table, except the Habanero) and a mini pulled pork sandwich, very good indeed.....

We leave tomorrow for a week at Myrtle Beach, We have booked a spot at Briarcliffe RV Resort.

See you all then!!!!!

Phil
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The first Sticky Fingers we ever had was in Myrtle Beach and we love them. We tried the combo and had a hard time deciding our favorites (all were ribs). The one in Myrtle Beach is near the big Mall. Oh, you are making me hungry.

Be sure to go to Margaritaville in Myrtle Beach. I think it is our favorite one and we have tried them all/

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Helen, Is Margaritaville from J. Buffets song? A restaurant/bar/both???? I will be hitting Sticky Fingers again for sure.

Phil
Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
All of the above Phil. Throw in a beach and gift shop even though it is about five miles from the ocean. Be sure not to miss it or the filling of the huge margarita glass that goes all the way to the ceiling. Sticky Fingers is in the same vacinity but on the other side of the mall. While in the area, be sure to feed the fish. It is a riot to see all those mouths wide open. Gee we love that area ande can't wait to get back there next fall.

There is also a wonderful sculpture garden that we missed the first couple times we were there. It is just south of Myrtle Beach somewhere in the Garden City Beach area. It took us two days to see it all. I can't remember for sure when the last time it was that we were there but I'm thinking maybe fall of 06 if you check my blog. Time goes by so fast when you are having fun.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Phil,

Margaritaville is in Broadway at the Beach shopping center. Enough stuff going on in that place to keep you busy for several hours. Just south on Hwy 17 of where y'all are staying (I believe). Look forward to getting with you while in Salisbury. Be careful and have a great time in Myrtle Beach.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil and Cathy, we have used that park also and agree with your opinion. It's a good location to base from for sightseeing the area. I can't remember which site we were in, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote