Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
skyviewman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6581
TV and low sulphur fuel

We are looking at a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the new Cummins 6.7. The sticker on the truck says that it is to use "Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel Only". What if you live in an area where it is not readily available and will it harm the engine if you use regular diesel fuel? What is everyone out there doing. I like the 6.7 versus the 5.9 because of the exhaust brake, more hp etc and the 6 spd transmission but if the fuel is a problem maybe I should rethink the 5.9 if there is not a solution. This has probably been covered before but I could find the topic.
thanks
skyviewman

skyviewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Skyviewman!

I believe as of Jan 2007, all diesel fuel sold is required to be ultra low sulpher fuel.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Brad-
You are correct about the date of mandatory USLD, but the specs on the USLD is
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I think skyviewman is in that real big country North of here. EPA doesn't have a lot of say up there.:
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The ULSD regulations are essentially the same in Canada as in the U.S. (Actually if we have to live with these regulations, it is good that they are the same in both countries). If you check the Flying J web site, you will see that ULSD is the only diesel available at any of their Canadian outlets.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We, too, are seriously dealing on a 6.7 Cummins Dodge but if the dealer does not call this afternoon matching or coming close to my last offer then we likely do not have a deal. He knows we're leaving the state tomorrow morning.

Because we're in the market I've been watching the stations as we travel. So far, many stations have ULSD in their car diesel pumps. A few have it in their truck pumps. Some have it in one or two of their truck pumps. Everything else is the old diesel. For awhile it might be a bit tough to find ulsd at a pump we can navigate into and out of with the house behind us. But it will improve over time. We'll just have to start looking a bit earlier on the fuel gauge until the availability improves.

I haven't checked Flying J in the states yet but will check that site in a few minutes. Last I looked there was a mix of ulsd and the older diesel.

That new 6.7 Cummins is an impressive engine. We put about 50 miles on one yesterday, test driving. With limited slip 3.73 axle it will squall both tires for several feet from a dead stop with absolutely zero turbo lag. And it's turbo now has the variable geometry vanes, adding a measure of exhaust braking via the turbo on top of the exhaust brake.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
WHAT! Steve, you're converting over the the dark side? (hahaahaha)

Now you'll have to buy a white cowboy hat to be one of them "white hat boys"!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's not a done deal yet. The salesman quits at 7pm, it's 5:45 and he's not called. So we may be moving on and looking elsewhere.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Looks like he (the sales droid that is) came through - picture still shows ford but the signature line says 2007 Dodge MegaCab -- Congrats on the Tow Vehicle.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Welcome to the "dark side" Steve, you will absolutely love that MegaCab. After years of Chevys we purchased our current Dodge as we could get the 3500 in a short bed and we were impressed with the megacab. No regrets what so ever! From your sig I couldn't tell if it's a 2500 or 3500?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve gives us all the run down on the Dodge and what made you switch from Ford, better deal? inquiring minds want to know. I am very impressed with the 6.7 as well, but have doubts about the tranny as it is Asian made and interior not as plush, but the Cummins rocks.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A quick rundown and then I'll back off this topic on this thread as I'm sure skyviewman would like this thread to address his topic.

I drove the Ford, GMC, and Dodge, twice each. However, none of the dealers yet have the new GMC with the diesel so I drove the Classic. I was impressed by the Ford but leery of the first year engine. Hopefully it's a good one but I just couldn't take that risk. I liked the Ford a lot. I also liked the Dodge a lot and was very impressed with the Cummins. It's head and shoulders above the others in my opinion. I researched the 6 spd Dodge transmission for problems but it seems to be pretty solid. Hopefully that will remain so over the years. As you said, not quite as plush but plenty plush enough for us. We got the Laramie H package. It's a sweet driving truck. Very quiet inside. It came down to the Ford and the Dodge. I can get the xplan on all three, Ford, GM, Dodge. Dodge's gives the best deal. PLUS, until July 2nd, the 2500 and 3500 Dodge has $3500 cashback OR low interest rates. That sealed the deal for me.

It's being brought in to Nappanee, IN, from Beloit, WI, a bit over 200 miles. There are some things I want done on it before we take it so with the holiday it likely will be the end of next week or even into the following week before it's all done.

I just went back and changed my profile again. I saw I forgot to say it's a 3500.

In another post last week on slider hitches I mentioned the megacab has a shorter bed than the quadcab. I was wrong. They are the same length. The bed is five inches shorter than my Ford, which at first concerned me. Until I took a tape measure to it and found cab to axle difference is just one inch. Not enough to worry about. Although the bed is five inches shorter than my crew cab shortbed Ford, the Dodge is 2 inches longer overall (248" vs 246") and the wheelbase is over 4 inches longer (160.5 vs 156).

Oh, colors. White exterior with khaki interior. I'm anxious to get it, get the 500 miles on it, and see how it handles this Montana. There oughta be a way to tow test a new vehicle before buying it but I'm sure it will do well.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Do any of them ride any better than what I have? I have to drive it all the time and am almost ready for a kidney belt. Highway is great but around town ruts jar you. I really don't know how they could improve the ride and still haul what they do.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Good move, Steve.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
alboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7141
HI Mike/Debbie ,we have the 06 3500 Dodge QC 4X4 ,WE PUT 250 LBS IN THE BACK, RUN OUR 305/55 TIRES AT 45 LBS IN BACK, RIDES GREAT.Steve you will love the cummins,i run the edge/juice combo empty ,awesome power.Just sold our OUTback TT TODAY ,NOW WAITING for the 3000 rk to roll in.
ALBOY
alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
LSD diesel fuel is STILL being sold throughout the U.S. Be sure to check the pump before you fuel up, especially if you have one of the new ULSD required diesel motors.

The following states are still offering 500ppm diesel...
AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WY.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That about covers them all Sky!

I understand the new trucks are ULSD only, but I also thought the fuel offered was going to be mandatory ULSD, which caused a lot of grumbling by truckers and diesel owners back in November. Is there a reason all these states still offer LSD?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I read an article that said by law the refineries have to produce 80% ULSD. The rest is available for whatever use. Some of that whatever use is marine and other uses that are not required to move to ULSd for several years yet. Apparently some of that is still making its way to highway vehicle pumps.

Plus, whatever LSD is still out there waiting to be distributed can be sold by retailers. I would think any stockpiles beyond the 20% still being refined would be gone by now, though.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I have been reading this thread and now have a dumb girl question here.

I just filled up our 2002 Chevy today with ULSD fuel. I understand it's necessary for the newer vehicles, but what does this ULSD fuel compared to the LSD fuel mean to those of us with older trucks?

Thanks a bunch,
Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, from what I've seen it only means your mileage will be slightly less and you are polluting the environment less. It is fine for both the new and the older diesel engines.