Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Topper Question

Hello Again!

We were told by the dealer that our 07 Monty 30' would not need toppers for the sliders as the angle and the flex seal would take care of any water build up as it is retracted.

Is this true? Can anyone attest differently? Any suggestions? This was definately an issue with our Prowler. An expensive venture if not needed.

Thanks in advance!

Sue & Harv

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Well Sue and Harv, you will get different opinions here as to has them and who don't. We have had them on both of our Montanas and would have them on our third if we got another! Water is only one issue for having a slide cover, I don't have to climb up on something to brush off the tops so the limbs or other trash fallen from the trees don't poke holes in the seals. Some folks have talked about the wind noise while wintering in Az this year, that would be a downfall. You might do a search on this forum and see what was writting about slide toppers there. Also when you do the search, do one on slide leaks too and see if they had the toppers.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well..I've never heard that one before.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
The dealers have said before you didn't need the toppers especially on the campers in stock. They don't want to install them. They are afraid they will lose money whey they have to put them on.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
You will get a lot of opinions on this. Our other unit did not have them and this one does. I prefer the toppers because #1 I don't have to get up and sweep the trash off the top before I put them in. #2 I use our unit in the winter also and if there is snow or freezing rain i don't have to figure out how to get it off before putting the slides in. #3 In hot weather it keeps the sun off the slides making it easier to keep the unit cool. Now if your use if different you may not need them. But in the fall the top can be covered with leaves and acorns. Now the down side. #1 the are noisy in the wind. #2 If your unit is used a lot after about 5 years they will have to be replaced.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I did not have them on my first Montana, found out I wanted them after camping a few times. Put them on that unit, got them on my next unit. Would have them on all my units.
Diddo what Mudchief said.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thanks Everyone,

We had a topper installed on our last camper after we had water come inside while retracting (lesson learned). The topper was a perfect solution to the problem and swore I would always have them. We listened to the dealer...wished we had insisted and had them throw them in the deal or at least discount. Maybe it's not too late.

I think the noise outweighs the benefit and peace of mind knowing your slide is clear of obstructions and moisture and as Mudchief mentioned, keeping it cooler.

This camper has 3 slides, we might have to hold off a bit before affording them! Anyone have any preferences on the type and where we can get them at a lesser rate? We are in So.Calif in the San Bernardino area.

Thanks again!
Sue & Harv
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We have toppers on our slides, and even though we stay in AZ. where the wind is "aplenty", we wouldn't be without them. Yes, they can be noisy in the heavy gusts, but the couple months a year we stay up north in Washington with all the leaves, needles etc, and not having to deal with them is worth it to us. I've heard you still do need to keep a wary eye out for "Ice" though, just in case it may be under the topper. You don't want to close the slide with Ice on it.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We had them on our last monty and on our new one. Would not go without them. I like that fact that you dont have to climb up on the roof each time you bring the slides in.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

The dealers have said before you didn't need the toppers especially on the campers in stock. They don't want to install them. They are afraid they will lose money whey they have to put them on.
Our dealer had units with the slide toppers installed, but recommended that we not have them on ours due to all the flapping in the wind and the fact that they can tear easily. It's not that they would lose money, they were trying to save me money. They profit on everything they install. I like a dealer who makes recommendations that save me money.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not have the slide awnings on this coach, but I will get them on my next one.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes they bang some in very high winds but they are not all that noisy...and they never tore in 40 to 50 MPH winds in lake Havasu City, Az this winter.There are far more advantages in having them than not. We had our camper out in the driveway the last two weeks with the slides out and @ 8 inches of snow built up on them.I went inside mashed the in button and with a bit of groaning and a couple of breaker re-sets in they came and off went the snow.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
HELLO Sgt Preston. oh I guess I am dating myself. You will get pro's and con's. I don't have them, However I can see where they would be an advantage at times. My experience has been good with out them, Kansas winds blow so much it keeps the tops of my slides clear ha ha. Now I have spent two seasons in rgv WHERE THE WIND BLOWS LIKE KANSAS. Everyone that had the slide toppers were good customers of WalMart and other's, buying beach balls to shove under the slide topper to keep it from flapping apart in the daily wind. There were several units three years and older with these slide toppers that were coming apart all over the site's in the Resort. As I said pro's and con's. In three years I would be setting aside a little money to replace them, and at about $200.00 each approximately X four slides...it adds up. I think they make the unit look nicer.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We,like some of the others, are on our second Montana - the first one had them and this one does too. We like them for the earlier cited reasons - no climbing on the roof to clean them in the rain, snow and/or wind before retracting them, cooling the top of the slide in the summer and keeping water and debris from coming in on the top of the slide. We have heard the noise in the wind too but would order them aqain.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
8" of Snow, Rich??
Sounds like you got home a couple of weeks too soon .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I didn't have them on my Fleetwood TT. The trailer was never moved from my site for 5 years until I traded it in for this new Monty. I had two slideouts on that one, and a major leak I could never track down on the dining room slide. Bad enough to majorly discolor the carpeting in the corner. When I bought the Monty, I was talking to the RV dealership owner, discussing the pros and cons of slide covers. He said that he would never have another trailer without them. I held off on my decision until I did more research, then decided to jump in. After my vacation this winter, I'm glad so far that I went with them. I just really like the idea of the slideouts being protected from major downpours. So far, I'm glad I spent the money.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #17
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Toppers are great! Having said that we will not have them on the new 3400. I seem to have delveloped into a light sleeper, and Phyllis and I both do no like the noise . We have tied them down, and all sorts of other things and they still make noise. The noise out on the street doesn't bother us, but the noise of the toppers "Cracking" in the wind drives us nuts.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
8" of Snow, Rich??
Sounds like you got home a couple of weeks too soon .

Had to come back to take the camper to the service center for repairs.. We will not return to this part of the country next year till mid may. We had way more than 8 inches of snow..and..it is not over yet....
Old 04-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I live in the Carolinas and had a topper on my TT. When I ordered my fiver (just came in yesterday) I had toppers installed on all 4 slide outs. I camp in the pines a lot and it is a pain trying to get pine needles and combs off the slides. Causes a real problem with the seals.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue and Harv, you asked if there's any preference as to brand of toppers and where to get them. First, you can get them from rv dealers and from Camping World. Watch the CW sales. Or ask the RV dealer who got your money for the Montana if he'll give you a break on price. He probably won't but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as I know, there are just two brands out there. A&E, which is what Montana installs and Carefree. They are equally good. I like the looks of the Carefree best, my self, but that's purely an opinion. We have the A&E on this Montana and had the same on our prior Montana. They've performed well.

As far as the life of them, on our prior Montana they were four years old when we traded the rig. The toppers were ready to have the material replaced. However, that was four years of being out in the weather every day except when we were on the road (we're fulltimers). If you use your Montana for weekends and vacations and store it with the slides retracted, I would think they'd last longer. That's a guess but it makes sense to me.

Good luck. I'll never be without the toppers. And I've never used anything to keep them from flapping. No balls, ropes, or anything, although I've considered it. It's not really all that bad when they flap in the wind and after awhile you get used to it. I do, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote