Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Sick and tired of getting pushed by a Duramax

Well after a couple of trip hauling the Monty and getting pushed up the hills by a GMC or a Chevy with the Duramax I did it.
Traded today the 2003 F350 Ford with 6.0 for a
2005 Chevrolet HD 2500 crew cab, SWB, SRW LT options, heavy tow package with the Duramax and Allison combo.
Same payment as I was paying, so what the H_LL.
Got color white to go with the Montana.

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
You will love the engine and the tranny is awesome.
Couple of recommendations.
Change the spin on tranny filter every 5000miles and do the same for the oil change intervals. Fuel filter every 10000 miles. Should avoid any problems. Also at some point maybe at 10000 miles do a tranny fluid flush and fill with transynd rather than Dexron 3. Will run cooler a bit and also shift even better and per a tranny professional will give the clutches about a 20% increase in grip. I have had mine since Mar. 05. Just now 6000 miles. I did all 3, oil change, tranny flush and filter change and fuel filter change at 5000 miles. Now all synch'd to a 5000 mile interval with fuel filter every other time. Tranny flush was not necessary but I felt it could not hurt as it would only remove any filings etc in there sooner.
Tranny temps on stock tranny gauge and per my professional friend it is accurate. Non towing it runs around 125 on cool days and 150 on hot ones. Towing 150+ cool days and under 200 about 185-195 grades and hot days.
Oh and use Stanadyne Preformance Formula in your fuel. It is the only GM approved additive and it is good. It will help allot I feel. Used it since the second tank in mine.
Enjoy. I did add EGT and Boost gauges.
I also just added a upgraded tranny cooler as I will be towing in the Rockies in a couple of weeks and want to protect that Allison as much as possible. Probably not needed but my method of an ounce of prevention thing.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sven and Pat, you are going to love that D/A. I have nearly 70,000 flawless miles on ours and couldn't be happier. With the GM employee pricing I've been considering upgrading to a 2005. Of course it would be white and a crew cab much the same as your new toy.

BTW- Not to get a discussion started with RMccord or anyone else but,
Those 70,000 miles were under various conditions. As far as service intervals I do what the experts that carry the warranty, better known as the General Motors Corp, tell me to do. My recommendation is to religiously
follow the service intervals as indicated in your Chevrolet Owners Manual. I am not saying that more frequent intervals is wrong just an un-necessary expense.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carlson
Congrats on the new TV. We have been looking and can't find one anywhere. Thought we would take advantage of the employee discount while it was being offered. Ed wants a long bed 2500 or 3500 and no one in the west has one. We were even going to give up our want of leather and Bose but still couldn't find one. Hope you have many safe and happy miles.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
did you have any problems with your powerstroke. I have a '04 and it pulls real strong. I have never been around anyone who pulls with a Duramax, but have been satisfied with the way the stroke pulls my trailer. Not trying to start a brand war. Just curious?
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Congrats on the new ride. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. If you are looking for alot of info on the Duramax/Ally combo check out the dieselplace.com
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Thanks everyone.
Glenn it is all your fault for the crap you gave us ford owners in NY.
I have been having problems with the Ford for awhile, just kept losing power and all they said was that it was not throwing any codes.
Dealt with a dealer in NH, and had to go looking for the truck all over New England and found it in Maine, but they called on 5 trucks that were sold before we found one.
It listed for $47407 and with the discounts and rebates they got it down to $37201.
Thanks again.
NOW, looking to upgrade my hitch to a SuperGlide, only want to do this one time
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Carlson,
I would highly recommend the Superglide hitch, I have it and love it. I would have to say congrats on the new truck, click on my name and in my profile you will see a pic of my truck and coach. Looks like we have the same units, I guess good thing we live across these United States or one of us will be trying to get into the wrong truck. =) Enjoy your new rig, I know you will be happy with the Duramax/Allison combo.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carlson, congrats on the new truck. While I and the magazines don't agree with you on the pushing up the hills it's still very important to realize there are lots of good choices and if you have troubles with one brand then maybe it's time to try another. That's the way I do it and will do it again if that situation arises. It's frustrating when you're having problems, so I don't blame you one bit. You got a nice one and I hope it works out well for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Good choice. What else can I say except another Ford owner has seen the light.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

Thanks everyone.
Glenn it is all your fault for the crap you gave us ford owners in NY.
I have been having problems with the Ford for awhile, just kept losing power and all they said was that it was not throwing any codes.
Dealt with a dealer in NH, and had to go looking for the truck all over New England and found it in Maine, but they called on 5 trucks that were sold before we found one.
It listed for $47407 and with the discounts and rebates they got it down to $37201.
Thanks again.
NOW, looking to upgrade my hitch to a SuperGlide, only want to do this one time
I was merely pointing out that the GM's out numbered the other 2 brands.

Anyway, Don't ever let me hear you calling yourself a dumb Swede again. First you convert to a Chevy and now the SuperGlide. YESSSSSS!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:20 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
None of them make the perfect truck.I think it is a evil plot..If one of them made the perfect truck we would all buy it and the other two would go out of business. I have had them all and they have all been good trucks.. I do see big changes in the 2007's because of the new EPA standards. Should be interesting..The way I see it if you have a truck and you are happy with it then it is better than the other two...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 AM   #13
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
You name it I tried it on the Ford, with 6.0
Added MSRP 4" exhaust from the CAT back and added a SCT turner in Tow Haul Mode, without the trailer it ran great, but under load it stunk.
In the past, new turbo, trip to NC not towing and blew off the inner cooler hose 7 times, 3 injectors, oil leak, new rear main seal, dreaded drone, 3" tear in inner cooler boot and many reflashes of the computer
The final straw was after this weekend, I got some puking antifreeze out of the overflow tank.
That was it.
Again, I thank everyone for the suppportive word, even from the Ford people.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #14
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
You'll like it very much has LOT-A-POWER!! Do the brake-in oil and trany as stated above plus change out the rear end oil after 500 pulling miles. GM only had 1.75QTs of oil in mine and it calls for 3.8QTs. I put Mobile One back in mine. Only had one problem so far with 8000 miles, the mirrors not wanting to extend, it will be fixed when time aloes.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #15
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We love our 2500HD D/A, and it's a little bit older, yours has higher HP & torque. I also change the oil a little bit sooner (about 7500 miles) but haven't done the Transynd yet, next month maybe. Get the boost & pyro gauges, and Tekonsha makes a "plug & play" connector for their Prodigy to plug into the GM products without splicing wires, very convenient. Ours is also white, goes better with the Monty and keeps a little bit cooler.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
SSSHHHHH, don't tell Lorraine but I just found out that a dealer about 50 miles down the road has a 3500 SRW, CC, 4X4 with a D/A. It's loaded with the bells and whistles and it's white. Maybe I'll get to be a GM employee??
Old 07-22-2005, 04:31 AM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I'll be very surprised if you can pull that off without Lorraine finding out!!!

I like the idea of a 350/3500 SRW, but their carrying capacity is not all that much more than a 2500HD.

Good luck!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:42 AM   #18
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Glenn, you're making me drool! Ours will be paid off in a year, maybe I can convince Shari to go shopping (fat chance)!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:51 AM   #19
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Glenn, I saved you marriage....I just bought it!

Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:56 AM   #20
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have a 2002 2500HD DuraMax and we just love how it handles and pulls the "Big Guy" down and up the road. It only has 26,000 miles and is paid for, so I do not think I will be looking to become a GM employee very soon. They are truely great vehicles. We have not had any problems at all with ours. It has only been to the dealers for the regular maintance as described in the manual.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote