Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
Montana_1396

M.O.C. #1396
Rubber roof

Has anyone had trouble with the rubber roof coming out from under the front crown and if taped up good can I still tow it to a repair dealer somewhere down south from here in Upper Michigan?? It looks like to me the screws rotted off holding the crown down and then let the rubber roof
membrane pull out from under it. What kind of a repair job is it to repair this? Thanks for the help in advance as I do learn a lot on this forum and am very glad of it ! TOM

Montana_1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Nascar sam,
When I first looked at your handle I thought it was narcissism. LOL.

What you are describing is not all that un-common across the RV industry. They might come up as you describe or around the vent covers.

My thinking is that, yes some good old 100 mph tape better known as Duct Tape should get you there just fine. I would keep my speed down though.

A good Dealers repair shop should be able to fix you up. We have seen several TT's and 5ers going the opposite way on Freeways with their rubber roofs billowing up off the roof of their rigs and there's no way of letting them know. After seeing these I do keep an eye on ours with a peroidic get up on the roof and inspect.

Wish you well and happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As long as you're headed south, why not stop at the factory and have them fix it? Don't know the year of your rig, but you would be wise to contact Keystone. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:36 AM   #4
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
I would contact Keystone. I had this happen to me when I had a TT. Duct tape did not work and that new tape called Eternabond did not work either and I only had to go 100 miles. Good Luck. I had to replace the whole roof.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
In four years that did not happen to mt Montana 2750. I'd contact Keystone as others have said.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
Montana_2061

M.O.C. #2061
I'm having the same problem. The rubber roof membrane pulled loose from the front vent and ballooned up without me knowing it. Another RVer noticed it as he passed me and we happened to me at a nearby park. I used duct tape replacing and adding to it daily as I drove from Vancouver, Washington to Phoenix, AZ. I believe that I recall someone on this forum saying that the roof is warranted for a period of 12 years. I will shortly be taking my 2002 Montana to the dealer in Phoenix and hopefully it is covered under this warranty. Does anyone know for sure if this warranty exists?
Montana_2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
rmills,

I think your going to find that the Rubber roof matreial is warranted not the installation. Don't know who your going to use in the Phx area, but I use RV Traders in Mesa. They work very closely with Keystone, and I can't say enough positive things about their service manager Neldon. This guy has got to be one of the best in the industry.

It's quite possible Keystone might step up and take of this for you.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
rwillett

M.O.C. #1474
We had our front cap seperate from the roof in the spring of 04. We temporarily caulked with Dycor to temp. seal it. We had it fixed at a shop recommended by Keystone that was across the street from the Keystone factory. Keystone paid for it. Our Monty is a 2002 3295. The original installation screws were about 1/2 inch too short.
Dick and Jane
2004 Ford f-350 Lariat dually CC Diesel 4X
rwillett is offline   Reply With Quote