Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
How many batteries?

As some of you who were at Q know there was some question going around the circle as to how many batteries we had installed for our solar system. While we only had six installed, somehow the rumor got around that we had more than that. When I got back to where we are working I was discussing the solar setup with our neighbor who has a bus conversion they did themselves. In the course of the discussion he mentioned his 18 batteries. I ask him if his panels would charge that many and he said yes, no problem. Of course he has 5 panels that are about as wide as mine are long and almost completely span the bus. He never changed the buses starting system so part of his setup is 24v and part is 12v. Don't ask me to explain his set up, I barely understand mine, but he did open the storage doors on the bus and I did see his battery bank. In the end, those of us who were having fun with the rumors about our rig should have shot higher when we exaggerated. We had no idea the reality of our neighbors rig was what it is.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
There is probably a series-parallel switch for his starter. It makes 24 volts out of 12 for the starter only.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
It will be awhile before I put solar on (not retired, work in Washington State), but I do plan on ditching the 12VDC battery and getting 2 6VDC batteries as soon as I can. Maybe I'll put a single panel on just to keep them topped off.

Question, if you do something like above, would you wire the solar panel controller to the batteries directly, or go through a battery switch to disconnect everything when stored?
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I believe they are connected directly, but they full time in the bus.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Hey Dick, did you do any reinforcing of the floor when you put the 6 batteries in? I'd like to add two more for a total of six but those buggers aren't exactly light (i guess the generator that would be in there wouldn't be much lighter).
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

Hey Dick, did you do any reinforcing of the floor when you put the 6 batteries in? I'd like to add two more for a total of six but those buggers aren't exactly light (i guess the generator that would be in there wouldn't be much lighter).
We've had 6 wet cell golf cart batteries in our front compartment for a year now and no floor problems although our rig is a 2004 and I suspect the frame may have been heavier than the newer models. We know a few folks with newer rigs though that have 6 batteries up front with no problems.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

It will be awhile before I put solar on (not retired, work in Washington State), but I do plan on ditching the 12VDC battery and getting 2 6VDC batteries as soon as I can. Maybe I'll put a single panel on just to keep them topped off.

Question, if you do something like above, would you wire the solar panel controller to the batteries directly, or go through a battery switch to disconnect everything when stored?
IMHO, you should always be able to disconnect both the panels and the batteries from the controller. We do it with breakers.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote