Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Tell me it isn't true?

Is it true that when things happen, they sometimes happen in 3'S?

This day didn’t go the way I planned for it to go. Sometimes I guess that can happen. I was being a nice guy today and took a look at the D/W’s hummer in my man cave garage to do some personal requested maintenance for her. She wanted the tires rotated and the air pressure checked. I got everything taken care of ok but when I lifted the front wheel with the jack the tire moved in a way I didn’t want to see. Upon closer examination the tire looked as though it was leaning out at the bottom. I figured at this point it needed a real mechanic to look at it. I took it to our local service center about 4 miles away. The mechanic was later showing me just how bad it was. They said I shouldn’t drive it at all. It had about 3-4 inches of play at the top of the wheel. That might explain why the D/W thought it needed some air, evidently it wasn’t steering correctly. I thought it acted a little odd myself when I drove it to the garage but really didn't seem too bad. Anyway, it has a bad control arm which requires a replacement. They gave me a courtesy ride back home.

After I got home, I got in the great white (the 1-ton dually) and had some things to do, places to go, people to see, etc... So that became my run-around vehicle for the day. I drove to where the D/W works and got something I needed from the PT Cruiser (which is my usual run-around vehicle) and headed to Wally-World. I pulled in at Wally-World and parked next to the service center. When I opened the door I heard this un-usual gushing of liquid onto the pavement. Not a very pleasant sound to hear at this particular time. I found a broken plastic fitting in part of the coolant hose which had completely broken into. This wasn't something that I could easily fix myself. With the way the hoses were made that wasn't going to happen. This also meant that I wasn’t going to be driving anywhere. Too bad Wally-World’s service Center really isn’t one. It would've been convenient if they actually did work on vehicles.

I called Good Sam once again and made plans to have the great White towed to the Ford garage for repairs in Ashland, KY; only because it’s where I usually take it. After a few calls I called G/S back and changed where I was going to take it to. Without any hassle they agreed to the change. I had it taken to where I took the Hummer which was more convenient for me. Good Sam came through once again and towed it without any hassle; at least it didn’t cost anything out of my pocket.

They gave me another courtesy ride home!

I now have two vehicles waiting for parts in the same service center. I hope it’s not true what they say, that “when things happen it happens in 3’s.”

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Not a good day at all....Maybe you should just stay home and take a nice nap!

Good Luck!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 on the nice nap, and I thought I had trouble getting to the Rally.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bill, hope the next day will be better.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I consider these problems like I posted as minor inconveniences. I posted mainly for the humor about the things that catch up with us from time to time. When it's all said & done I can only sit back and laugh anyway. It'll make a good campfire story sometime. It could have happened on a busy highway somewhere but it didn’t. We are very blessed! I can't tell you how many times I've had problems where I had simply just pulled into the driveway at home and then discover a problem. They will get fixed and I have enough trust in the people doing the work that the damage will be as minimal as possible.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I'd be afraid to drive that PT Cruiser about now - it's days may be numbered if your streak of luck with vehicles continues...
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

I'd be afraid to drive that PT Cruiser about now - it's days may be numbered if your streak of luck with vehicles continues...

I would say that the days are numbered on it. It’s pushing a little over 151K miles on it. We purchased it new in 02 and it’s probably been the most dependable vehicle we’ve ever had. Earlier in the summer it did let us down. We were on our way to the state park lodge for Sunday dinner and it simply died. On that occasion the trimming belt broke. With so many miles things can be expected to happen.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Please dont ask to borrow any of my vehicles!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Move away from the Montana!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
[i][center]
Update: I got both vehicles repaired today and the cost was very reasonable. No more than what I would expect for what they did. Actually it was less than expected. Ok I know your curious
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Hey, that doesn't sound too bad at all. Anything hurts, but at least they were not astronomical! Glad you're back up and running!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Hey, that doesn't sound too bad at all. Anything hurts, but at least they were not astronomical! Glad you're back up and running!

X2!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Now you have those things fixed, I hope you guys have smooth sailing for along long time!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote