Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Bad water heater?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I hope I'm wrong so I will ask it anyway. I did my semi-annual inspection of my anode rod and in addition to the usual gunk that comes out there was a bunch of rusty water and some light beige colored flaky substance. I'm afraid this means the porcelain has deteriorated and the steel is exposed. The flaky stuff was very thin and brittle. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong.

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
I have seen blue porcelin in the tank not beige. I would suspect that it may just have been the minerals in the water where you were. Were you in one spot for a period of time where the minerals could accumulate?
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi David

All the light beige flakey stuff is most likely the anode rod being wore down and doing it's job. Just flush it out and you should be OK. Check that the anode rod is not worn down, if it is replace it.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
What you're seeing is normal. Flush it out. You can get an adapter for the end of your hose from Camping World that will allow you to insert it into the water heater and flush the debris out.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Thanks Orv. I have one and I have done that. My concern is that there are two different materials that came out when I flushed. One is the jelly like substance that is on the anode road and comes out as white chalky stuff sometimes. The other is a thin flaky material that looks like flaking paint or paint chips.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When we bought our camper it had a bad water heater in it. I was getting all kinds of stuff out of it but in particular I was getting sharp splintery pieces of what appeared to be something like glass. If I remember correctly they were somewhat blue in color. (This was coming out of the hole where the anode rod fits, not from the spigot.) I took our Monty back to the dealer where we purchased it and they replaced the water heater. They said it was bad. If you have any doubts or concerns you should probably check with your dealer. I don’t know how a person would be able to check and know for certain without pulling it out and then I don’t know if you could tell. Let us know what you find out about it.