Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
South Dakota... You just keep on getting better.

I have posted about having to return to Sioux Falls from Indiana this fall before we could start out for our place in Florida to renew our drivers license . Bill's expires Jan 17th 2010 and mine does on March 29th... Of course we do not want to be in Sioux Falls in January or March (been there, done that for 65 yrs). The laws state that you can renew your license up to 180 days (mos.) before expiration. In our case we could renew Bills anytime after July 17th this year but could not renew mine until Sept. 30th of this year. By this time we will already be in Goshen at the MOC rally and would have to drive back to Sioux falls to renew .

After talking to the DMV in South Dakota they gave us a couple of options..
1: I could have a 30 day grace period but not drive during that time and return to SD by April 29th and take the written test all over.

2: 120 days before my license expires I can ask for an extension of up to one year to renew and I would get a certificate allowing me to drive during this extention... (No test required)

Guess which one we will be choosing. Just to be certain though, we will go to Sioux this next week to renew Bill's and make sure of my options...

This is just one more of the things we will be talking about at the Full timers seminar we will be putting on at the Fall rally next month.

Helen and Bill

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Yea, South Dakota!! I knew there was another good reason to "live in a little mailbox" in Sioux Falls!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Helen
We are in the same perdicimant.....Dave needs to get an extension in Jan so we can show up in June and get his and mine at the same time...Did they say that you can get the 1 year extension by calling and asking for one? or do you have to do in person. Thanks Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Cathy and I were in the same boat from Alaska. We had never been to Juneau (the capitol), so we flew back to Juneau for three days, got our license renewed and are good to go for another 5 years....Costly, but we made a mini vacation out of it. After 14 years in Alaska we finally made it to the capitol. BTW, not really worth the trip....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Teresa. They told me that you call when you are within 180 days of your renewal date and they will send you a form to complete and mail back to them... They will then send you the extension of up to one year. We will be going to Sioux Falls next week to get Bill's renewed since his birthday is in January and we are now within the 180 day period. I will double check this when we are there to be positive but that is the information we recieved by phone from the DMV.

Phil... I agree with you. Juno was our least favorite city in the beautiful state of Alaska. We took a boat from Haines on a day trip and except for seeing some cool whales and eagles on the water I wish we hadn't spent the $ to see the city. There are so many more interesting places to see than Juno.

Helen
Old 08-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Helen,
If you explained the situation to them when you get there, would it be possible to waive the few months remaining on your license and get a new date that coincides with Bill's? The worse you can get for asking is a "No," but if it's yes, then you would both be in the same month. Ask the "nice" clerk how you might be able to do that.

Just a thought.

Edited: Oops! I'll bet they do it by birthday. Well, change your birthday!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Thanks Helen....
With David BD in Jan and mine in Dec it presents problems, but this sounds like it might solve everything when we have to renew in 5 years. Other than this obstacle SD is a great state for residency. Teresa
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Wayne .. we asked ... they won't.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Not to hijack this thread, but it's great that any state allows us to do the things we do to enhance our lifestyle. The thing I like about Texas is that we can renew on line, except for my CDL. For that we have to appear in person. So far it's been every six years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Teresa, in your case the birthdays are at a great time since you can renew 6 months before. July, August and September are beautiful times to be in South Dakota so you wouldn't need the extension.

Wayne... As Vicki said. We already did that and it is not possible.

Orv... I think that this could be changing for Texas also.. Something to do with the National Security.. Florida has just changed their laws to comply with the new laws also....I'm not sure if all states won't have to have you there in person. Don't quote me on that though as I am not certain of the laws on this subject.

Helen
Old 08-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Helen...unfortunally it did not work that way...Daves is Jan 2014, mine Dec 2014, so really 11 months apart that why we are so curious about extension. If Dave can get a 6 month extension then we can come back in June and do both of our DL. Keep me posted. Teresa
Old 08-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh sorry Teresa... You are correct. Well I hope it works the way we think it does. We will know for sure on Tuesday when we check it out. Of course with all the changes going on in the Government, anything can happen before 2014. Let's hope it is all for the better.

Helen
Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
adelmoll,
You could be right about having to appear in person in Texas. I don't know. It's been the way it is for as long as my brother lived in Texas (some 35 years). But even if it does change, it's a lot warmer in Texas in February and March than in the northern climate where the snow flies at some of the most inopportune times.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
"it's a lot warmer in Texas in February and March than in the northern climate where the snow flies at some of the most inopportune times."

You got that right Orv. That's why I'm so happy to have the option of the extension. We come back to Minnesota every year and Bill's Mom lives just a short distance from S. Dakota. I do [s]think[/s] know that the Escapees have an excellent mail forward service and we usually go thru the state each year to see kids and grandkids but for us South Dakota works best. We also love the 3% tax on the Big Sky and low insurances prices.

Helen
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That cold winter is why we take advantage of being able to renew up to six months early without having to file for the extension. Vicki's birthday is October, mine February. So it works for us to go up there once every five years, in October or even September, to renew both.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote