Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Screen Door Latch Replacement

We were attacked by the Grandkids this weekend and the Monty survived except for that black screen door latch handle that also attaches to the door. Where can I get about a dozen replacements! :-) ??

Keystone should hire my grandaughters to test the strength of their trailers, they WILL find the soft parts!

Their favorite activity is IN and OUT all day! But ya know what I love it and they are gone right now and we miss them!

RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Been there done that. When you go to buy a replacement be sure to take the old one with you. There are left or right door handles for the screen door. I can't help with where, but I remember it was two trips cause I brought the wrong one home on the first trip.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
My oh my ..... while checking out our Big Sky this past week David told me to extend the awning and I was pushing the extend slide button - this really made me worried - geeze oh man - I began envisioning our dream of the grandkids spending time with us and pushing those buttons - anyone install covers for those controls? Ideas?

thanks

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
How about going to the front bay and putting a cutout switch in the solenoid wire that activates the pump. This would kill power to the slides until you went back to the front bay and turned the switch on. Heavy duty toggle or rotary switch would do it.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
JoAnn, you might just open your fuse box and pull the fuse or fuses for the slides. I nick named my granddaughter " Fingers ", because if it wasn't broke she made sure it was before she left. I still love her to death and I am her PoppyPaw. Anyone can be a Grandpaw, but very few reach PoppyPaw status.

Good luck and enjoy them,
Dan
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If you are having those "little fingers" visiting you I would suggest going into the front compartment and closing the slide valves. A lot simpler than installing a cover, switch or trying to figure out which fuse is which.

As far the the door handle, you can buy them at any RV store or Camping World.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Jo-Anna: I searched far and wide and finally found one of those "covers" for the switch. Actually ended up with 10 of them I think because I bought from a bulk supply place and "1" was 1 lot! Had to still modify the screws to get it on. 2 year old Grandson walks up to it the first time, looks at it, pulls it off, and hits the switch. I gave up trying to outmaneuver him.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
I went to Lowes and got a white, metal, spring-hinged switch plate cover. It is made with an insert that can be snapped out to modify the type switch/plug you are covering. I simply placed it over the slide-out switch plate and used two longer screws to hold it on. It also has a eyelet at the bottom corner that you could put a piece of wire and twist it to keep out prying hands. I figure it will keep the smaller children out, since the cover is spring-loaded and somewhat difficult to lift up to access the switch. Time will tell. Of course, you might not like the looks of this solution. It only cost about $5.00.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I like your solution, Glenn. It stops the problem at the equipment.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote