Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
fridge wood on door help!!!

We are getting our old fridge replaced tomorrow. Is the wood on door easy to get off on our old one so as to put on the new one? Or should we just switch doors too? We like the wood doors. We have had the solid black on one of our previous 5th wheels and it showed a lot of finger prints and etc.
Hope the wood just slides off. Hope it isn't glued on!!!
Please if anyone knows.
Dusty

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we had our refrigerator replaced two years ago, the ability to remove the wood from our old refrigerator and place on the new refrigerator with the black front didn't seem to be an option with the RV Repair shop. Needless to say though, my wife loves the black front as it gives the rig a kind of "elegant" look. Our refrigerator is the first thing you spot when you open the entry door. However, you are right about the finger prints. Marge says that at least she pays more attention to cleaning now. It used to take her all of 5 minutes to clean but now it takes her 5.5 minutes.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty and Don,

I'm thinking it just slide into the frame on the door. It should have a cut edge that fits inside the track, so if you take one track off it should slide out. I don't believe anything is glued.

However - I may be wrong as I have only put the wood panels on the stick house fridge. Worst case - try to keep the whole door.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks all. I knew this was the place to go for help.

I just looked at it. It is not glued in. It will slide around a little so know it is not glued, that is a good thing! Looks like it would be simple to remove the wood.

I don't know why I didn't think of checking it myself before! Duh!

I know they won't let me keep both doors. Wish they would. That way we would have a spare if one broke.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't remember which Rv plant is was but I know it was not the Montana plant because they were at work but we saw them just slide the wood insert into the fridge door..that was a couple of years ago.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As I recall, it is simply lift up as high as you can on the wood panel, then pull out. The top will go up high enough to let the bottom come out -- hardest part on ours (a couple of years ago had to remove to clean some gunk that got spilled) was getting something behind the door edge to pop it out. As I recall, wife took a plastic knife and 'gently' put it in from the open side of the door.
On edit: I just went out to Dometic's web site and they show 3 screws being in the top trim, you remove these three screws and then slide the panels (they call it a trim panel) into or out of the side guides on the door). Looking at instructions for a 2-door model - top freezer, bottom refrigerator, not the side by side.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We had to buy a new fridge this summer and putting the wood door inserts on the new one was done by the techs at Camping World. At first they said the doors wouldn't accept the wood panels, but Bob convinced them that they didn't want to talk to me if they couldn't put the wood panels in! Ha! So, they put the wood panels in. Looks great.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks all for the help

All this checking for nothing; because the Dometic person that is installing the new one tomorrow, said they will use our original door. The fridge they sent hinges on right side and ours is on other side. Has to be, but they can put them on either side. Anyway they forgot to send the kit so that is why the old door will be used on the new fridge. Nothing wrong with our door so don't mind that.

You all are right the wood does slide out... with a few screws removed. Don't have to do that part now.