Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
? wallpaper Boarder

Has anyone replaced the wallpaper boarder in your Monty? Should I take off the old one first and if so how do I go about that? I ordered a new boarder from Cabela's of Elk and Mountains and it came so I am anxious to get to it. I found a great fabric and made new pillows for the sofa, deer.... I have done all the remolding in the stick house so it is time to start on the 3400!! Oh yes will the paper stick with the paste that is on it or do I need to use a vinyl paste?

rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OKKK, I did this last year. Your new border BETTER be as large or larger than the stuff that is there now.

My findings, probably can find doing a search of the archives, but here is a synopsis:

1.) Paper you are removing, actually came off pretty easy, a gentle and firm tug, keep pulling, it comes off.

2.) The stuff that they use for adhesive, could hold a 747 airplane together, this stuff is TOUGH and does NOT come off the walls. FlaNative here on the forum, is the only person I know of that has been successful at removing this adhesive. She found some orange stuff (contact her for details), and the last I heard this stuff was not available on the consumer market. I tried gasoline, every goop remover that everyone suggested (as did FlaNative) and nothing took this stuff off. I had picked out a border that was 1/4 inch smaller than the OEM, and I ended up having to go out and find a new border, one that was larger. From all my fussing and scrubbing, I ended up spreading that adhesive around a bit and have a couple of places that are a bit tacky to the touch, I spread the gunk past the line where the wallpaper went, it is not covered now, therefore it is a bit tacky when you touch that area of the wall.

3.) I did not remove the moldings, rather, just trimmed slowly and carefully and tucked the ends back under the moldings. They put that molding up with a special air gun (that is the way I remember it from the plant tours) and neither Al nor I felt like fussing with them and dealing with possible consequences if we broke one, or if we took them down trying to get them back up. Maybe someone else on the forum has some helpful hints on this issue.

4.) I did use that vinyl adhesive that you brush on, sorta like a sizing type stuff. Even OVER that sticky stuff that was left on the walls. Also used it on virgin walls, where I did some other papering. No issues so far with the paper, either the new install or the replace install. Ohhh, cept I did have a couple of air bubbles in that area that I tried cleaning so hard. Used a straight pin, let air out of the bubble, after a bit of time, that also seems to have subsided. Have not looked at that in a while, not sure of current situation.

I was disappointed that I could not use my first choice of paper, but, I got REAL lucky and my second choice, which I picked out in less than 5 minutes, turned out quite nice.

I think if your new paper is as wide or wider than the OEM that you will have no problem, pull off the old, use the vinyl sizing paste stuff, be sure to get the new paper over all that sticky stuff (ya gotta line er up! ) and put the new on.

Good luck, show us photos of it when you are done, the pillows sound FAB!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Dang, you creative types just kill me!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Kim, it is NOT a big deal, but you GOTTA have paper that is as wide or a bit wider than what is OEM. Then you skip right over the trying to clean off that adhesive part, cut to the chase with the vinyl adhesive and put up the new.

My "situation" arose when I discovered that the paper I had purchased was 1/4 inch smaller than the OEM, and I tried to get that sticky junk off. Once I gave up that scenerio, it went pretty good.

Be brave!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Thanks for all the info, my paper is much larger than whats there so hope everything goes well!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
The Adhesive Remover Carol is referring to is called "Orange All". Like she said it is not sold on the retail market. I lucked out when I called the company to find out where to get it, because after they told me it was not for sale, they did send me 4 cans, (free of any charge)! It's made by Apollo Technologies, their phone # is as follows. 770-433-0210. Give them a call, you might get lucky.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote