Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
North Central Arkansas river camping

Irene and I took a road trip with our good friends Debi and Rick Woody this Saturday. Went to look at campgrounds at Buffalo Point that we use for Buffalo river and Crooked Creek floats. From there we checked out the campgrounds around Cooter, AR on the White river. Cooter also had a neat little park where we took the attached picture. We followed the White River up to Bull Shoals to look at the campgrounds there as well. We will be back to those parks to trout fish and float for sure!!! So many places to camp so little time!

Buffalo Point: National Park campground and only government run RV park with electricity on the Buffalo River. This campground is VERY popular so make reservations early in the year. If you want to float the Buffalo river or Crooked Creek this is the base camp for you.

There are three private campgrounds located on the banks of the White River within a mile of Cooter, AR. They are all similar with electric, water and sewer but gravel pads.

The Arkansas State park just below the Bull Shoals Lake Dam on the White River is very nice. It has a small but brand new section that will accommodate large modern campers with ease. The park is exceptionally clean with all paved and level sites (at least in the new section). They are working on additional improvements to the older sections of the park as well. There is a state run dock with rentals, trout wade fishing (White River is known for world class trout fishing) and more trout guides than you can shake a stick at. If trout fishing in a beautiful setting is on your bucket list you can check that box here!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irene and Jim Cooter cabose White river Dec 2017.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	875  

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I tent camped on the Buffalo National River once. I think we went down the White River and then up the Buffalo 10 to 15 miles on a long flat bottom 10 horse boat camped and turkey hunted one spring. We didn’t get a Gobler. It was too early in the spring but it was a great trip. We may have seen 1 or 2 people in the week we were there in the early spring. LOVED IT.
The guy I was with told me about Jane Fonda and a bunch she was with. They floated the river stoped on a sand bar, got naked and my buddy’s friend saw it all. He had his gun with him and started shooting at then. They very quickly decided this may not be a good place to get naked got their clothes on and headed on down the river.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
You know when I was a kid there weren't many turkeys in Arkansas. They have done a really good job repopulating them. We have a couple of flocks that come thru our property on occasion (especially if I am feeding the deer corn).

We float the Buffalo a couple times a year usually with friends. To be honest it isn't exactly my favorite river as it is very crowded with people and not much white water. The Buffalo is a little too well known for its own good. However the area you are talking about below Buffalo Point down to the White River locally known as "the Buffalo Wilderness" is somewhat the exception. Since it is a full two day float. Once you pass the take out below Buffalo Point your going to on the river for a full two days.
If you like to fish for Smallmouth and float then you might also want to consider Crooked Creek which runs parallel and just north of the Buffalo. It doesn't have nearly the number of folks on it and the state has just built some new really good launch sites.
The White River is very famous for its trout fishing and for good reason. I have been a serious weekend warrior on Bass Tournaments for years and have only recently picked the fly rod back up to pursue trout but I do love it. It is hard to beat standing or floating in clear running water and hooking up with a good sized trout on a fly rod.....
Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I was a kid there were no deer bear or turkeys here. When my wife and I built our house on the family farm 41 years ago,I walked in the woods at the back of our house and found a deer track. I ran back to the house took her to see it. Now if I find a rabbit track in the snow I tell her about it. I’m a groundhog hunter they are all gone to, coyotes. The farmers finally got what they wonted, just don’t try to raise sheep.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We are overrun with wildlife here on our estate. We catch and release on our pond and in the creek and only the grandkids take deer off our property (although I do reserve the right to sling an arrow at a good buck should he come in range). I built a big 4x8 stand and have helped three 10 year olds get their first deer in as many years. Hunting and fishing is our tradition here but we are also very good stewards of the land. Living in the middle of it all, I think we have a far better understanding of "balance of nature" than many.
When I get to heaven the streets won't be made of gold. They will be dirt paths that lead down to clear mountain streams full of fish. I have already seen heaven on earth and I live there! I don't need angel wings, give me a kayak and a fishing rod please!