Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Did a dumb trick

Had a close call that was my fault. Ir had been over three months since the last time we got on the road. Always nervous that we'll have forgotten something. When I checked the 5W brakes, they seemed a little weak, but OK. Had planned to have them checked at the Indy 500 stop because Camping World will be there--think that was in the back of my mind.

Way down the road going through a city I didn't have any really problems with the brakes although they seemed a little long, but I always keep a big safety zone infront of me. Starting down a hill, the light turn red and I had plenty of room to stop behind the truck stopped for the light when a PU dodged in front of us from the right turn lane to a K-Mart store. I had the pedal to floor boarded and it was obvious I was going to rear end the PU. I managed to jerk the rig into the right turn lane with about ONE inch to spare from hitting the PU and slid past it.

We parked at K=Mart and dewatered the dogs and me! Checked the brakes and readjusted the Prodigy controller to max. It was a little weak and thinking back, I had tested it on a slight uphill grade--enough to fool me into accepting a less than good performance from the brake controller/brakes. I'll make sure that I am on the level or downhill for future brake checks.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Glad to here you got her stopped. That's not a good feeling
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
It's a good thing that I don't get roadrage easily. Have has several people pull in front of me like that. They don't realize the amount of weight that we have to stop. DW is always on me about leaving more stopping room. To me, that's more room for some "jerk" to pull in front of me. Glad you made it alright.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Good thing you had room to get passed the PU and avoid the wreck. It's difficult to always have the breaks just right, ready for the numb skulls to pull in front of you.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Glad that everything turned out alright. I normally have that sinking feeling everytime I go through El Paso or Las Vegas. It seems like once we open up space we are fair game for anybody in a hurry to change lanes. Good job on avoiding that PU. Take care.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I keep thinking I need an airhorn. Maybe a project for this summer. Gotta find one that is big and LOUD
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
It's best to use the brakes first, then the horn if there's still time! Glad you got it stopped without incident.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
It's best to use the brakes first, then the horn if there's still time!
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That is why I have always purchased a controller that the adjustment is easy to get to. I also mount it where i can reach it fast and easy. There has been many times that I have slide the control to max. Glad you did not hit him.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I had the same thing happen to me on I 65 south going to Destin 3 weeks ago. A guy with a pu cut in front of me as we were stopping for a backup of an accident ahead of us. My brakes were adjusted correctly and the controller was also set before we left. Good thing because not only did he cut in front he stopped dead in front of me and he still had 40-50 in front of him. I slammed on the binders and stopped inches in front of him, my friend who was behind me thouht he was going to hit me for sure. Then the pu knows I`m pi--ed takes off on the shoulder. We stopped at the next rest area and sure enough a few things moved in the rv. A friend of mine is a trucker and he see`s this everyday and I understand now what they go through. Check your brake by pulling the wheels and hubs off and adjust them if needed. Adjust the brake controller before leaving on a flat surface, I`m glad I did, and be careful out there!!
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Sitting 3 or more months will build up a fine coat of rust and that maybe was the reason why the brakes were not up to where they should have been. Yes,there are a bunch of dummy's out there and the bad part is" THEY WALK AMONG US". One other thing is,and we seem to have forgotten, that almost all cars and pick-ups have disc brakes and our campers have drum brakes and when running in water and heavy rain our brakes are very weak until they dry out. After running in very hard rain and street flooding when stoping I could feel that the trailer brakes were not working until they dryed out some and then were fine.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #12
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
One thing I do after not moving for an extended time is apply the brakes on the 5er manually while rolling a few times to make sure they are working at there best. In the rain I will try them out once in a while, just enough to get them warm thus drying them out.

Some of the contract vans I travel in now have cameras mounted in the windshield for the not so smart drivers out there. The minute you do a hard stop the camera backs up 20 seconds from the time you have to initiate the hard stop. Makes good viewing for the police in an accident. Especially against those out there looking for an insurance claim. Sad but true

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote