Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Lancaster PA to Bangor ME

I really, intensely dislike going through Massachusetts but I'm looking at the map and can't seem to find a reasonable alternative.

I suppose I could go up past Albany and through St. Johnsbury VT.

Or should I just put up with the roads past Boston?

Any suggestions?

P.S. Had a wonderful time taking a day out from our frantic schedule at Country Acres near Bird-In-Hand PA. When we checked in we remembered having stayed here when the kids were young teens and we were in a pop-up. It brought back great memories!

The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I am engaged in planning a route along those lines. We are taking the Albany, St. Johnsbury route. In fact we are spending a night in the general area of Albany at the Arrowhead Marina and RV Park. It's not that I have much experience with those roads. It is, for one thing, my desire to stay away from New York City and Boston. We will be visiting a friend in the Bethel/Hanover area of Maine. On our return route we will be staying in the Cooperstown, NY area and then in the Amish country of Pennsylvania.

This is not a suggestion, just the plans of a fellow traveler.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Thanks David. It'll be interesting for both of us to hear what others have to say!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I travel from Texas to Central Mass every year now for the past 3 or 4, to visit my Brither and family.

We just arrived in Mass. Yesterday. I'm in a 40' SOB pulling a TOAD. We left Gettysburg, took US-15N, then picking up I-78E. If I had not stopped in Gettysburg I most likely would have taken I-81 to I-84, but off of I-78 I picked up PA-33 to US-209. We stopped in Stroudsburg, PA, Pocono Village Park for a one night stop. very tight grassy spaces with FHU for $29 a night with GS discount. We continued on US-209 through the Deleware Water Gap. Road is not as good as it was previously but it is passable. Don't worry about the detour sign, as the detour is not a big deal, just a little jaunt parallel with the original us-209. It's been that way for a couple years. Took US-209 to US-6 to I-84 all the way to Sturbridge Village, MA. There if you are continuing you can take the Mass Pike (I-90) to other points north. I have traveled I-295, I-495, and I-95 and find them no better or worse than any other major interstate.

We stopped in Stroudsburg because we have stopped at other points north and they were either to expensive for our tastes, or just poor in their amenities.

I-84 has some rough spots, just like US-209, but no worse or better than any other.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Thanks Wayne. We've been spending the evening with a road atlas and Google Maps (on my laptop via the WiFi hotspot capability of my Android cell phone - ain't technology wonderful?) and had come to the conclusion that we couldn't spare the extra 2 hours (or more?) that going up via St. Johnsbury would take.

We are aiming to pull out of the Bird-in-Hand area around 8am and camp just south of Portland ME (maybe the KOA?) tomorrow night.

After the 14 hour drive yesterday the 10 hours we are looking at tomorrow is a cakewalk!

Some year I want to do the (approximate) 2,000 mile drive from Florida home to B&B (or vice-versa) not in a rush and able to relax and take my time. Of course, that probably won't happen for 10 years until I'm retired! *sigh*

If we're going to hit the road at 8am I'd better sign off and get to bed! Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Hey Padre, how are ya? We just did the I 91 bit to Bethel and it was fine. I recommend that you take I 91 to Exit 17 (Woodsville)Take US 302 to Twin Mountain where you turn left on US 3. In a mile or so, turn right on SR 15. It is a very nice road, much nicer than it appears on the map. In 10-12 miles you pick up US 2 east. That will take you through Gorham, Gilead and Bethel. The Irving station in Gorham has the cheapest diesel you will see for a long time. The only scary part of the trip is the long hill as you enter Gorham. Definitely use some sort of engine braking. There is a runaway truck ramp at the bottom. I had no trouble and you won't either. We live 25 miles from Bethel and would love to see you again. Send me a PM if that might be possible.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
On Monday we drove up from Bird-In-Hand through Allentown then 209 through the Poconos (very scenic!) to I84 through Danbury CT. Yes, we ended up on I90 to I290 to I495 around Boston. It wasn't bad. As noted elsewhere, just go slow when going over bridges at Lawrence and Lowell.

We stopped at the KOA at Saco ME. Very nice with lots of trees. Getting the Monty out in the morning was a slight challenge to swing clear of them, but I managed.

Today we drove from Saco ME to our B&B at Cap-Pele NB, going from Bangor ME to crossing the border at Calais / Saint Stephen. And now the Monty will sit for 2.5 months ... and I get a break from driving for a while!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Hello to Dave (Cmdr Dewey), I sent you an email through this forum. Hope you get it. I have incorporated your route suggestions into my plans for our trip next week. Thanks, that is just the kind of help I was looking for.

Hope we can make connections way up there in Maine, far, far, away from THE Valley where we first met.

If you do not get the email, post again and I will try a different method of communication.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote